• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

epo foam what glue to use?

as the title

what glue can i use to stick epo plane together that wont melt it.

preferably one i can find easily

thanks in advance

oopsie, had a prang mate? Google foam safe glue mate, I got a 100ml from Hong Kong for a fiver delivered, anglia models might have some or you can use a hot glue gun, you could get one at qd on the high street perhaps..

There is no me in team..

Go for Gorilla glue its avaliable in Hobbycraft if you have one near you.

Me and a bate use it for gluing the Bizler's and Zagi's which are both epo.

Cheers

A1+ on the Gorilla Glue...Can by bought in most DIY stores..

Comes in iether White (is best) or a Yellowy colour still as good as the white but harder to match with the white foam...

Before Gorilla glue

RadianCrash002.jpg

RadianCrash003.jpg

RadianCrashRepair001.jpg

RadianCrashRepair002.jpg

After...

RadianCrashRepair003.jpg

RadianCrashRepair004.jpg

Sean

• Like 1

oopsie, had a prang mate? Google foam safe glue mate, I got a 100ml from Hong Kong for a fiver delivered, anglia models might have some or you can use a hot glue gun, you could get one at qd on the high street perhaps..

There is no me in team..

not even been flying yet, just making modifications to fit the battery in and get the COG right (i knew i needed to do this before i bought it).

I do have hot glue gun but its a battery one and although it does work well if you can be pushing the parts together while you are injecting the glus between them, if there has to be a delay between applying the glue and sticking the parts together it cools too fast and doesnt adhere very well.

Have ordered some of the gorilla glue but i think i might have the colored stuff, will find out when it arrives.

Thanks for the quick replies.

@Sean did that plane actually fly again after those extensive repairs.

I've built up a pretty full on collection of glues. Here's my thoughts on glues!

First off- EPO doesn't need foam safe CA- that will melt EPS (polystyrene) but not EPO or EPP

So:

CA (super glue) - keep this in my toolbox with some kicker. It sets instantly with kicker so can make instant repairs in the field. Downside- it's not flexible so not as good a join as a couple of other glues.

Gorilla Glue - excellent adhesive, foams up to 4 times its size so great for gap filling. However it takes forever to set, and you have to keep coming back to it to clear up excess as it expands before it sets hard.

UHU POR (not standard UHU) - this is great stuff, my main build glue. It's flexible and takes a while to set so it's a strong bond on foam and not brittle. Down side is it takes ages to set.

Hot glue - fast as you like, fills gaps, but it's heavy.

Epoxy - very strong, but a bit more of a pain to use and again it's heavy. I only use for beefing up motor mounts, though these days not even that.

Foam safe CA- as per normal CA but won't melt EPS.

I sometimes use gorilla glue and CA together- the CA stops the GG from foaming up so much, the GG provides strength in the joint.

I use some others, and a variety of tapes as well, but those are the main ones.

Edited by stallion_explosion
  • Like 1

@Sean did that plane actually fly again after those extensive repairs.

My Parkzone Radian Glider.....Yes it did , the very next day and alot more days after that,,,, untill it flew away from me one day never to be seen again..

Heres the photo's of the following day after the Gorilla glue had set and I was up at the field ready to fly..

RadianCrashRepair005.jpg

RadianCrashRepair006.jpg

RadianCrashRepair007.jpg

Sean

I've built up a pretty full on collection of glues. Here's my thoughts on glues!

First off- EPO doesn't need foam safe CS- that will melt EPS (polystyrene) but not EPO or EPP

So:

CA (super glue) - keep this in my toolbox with some kicker. It sets instantly with kicker so can make instant repairs in the field. Downside- it's not flexible so not as good a join as a couple of other glues.

Gorilla Glue - excellent adhesive, foams up to 4 times its size so great for gap filling. However it takes forever to set, and you have to keep coming back to it to clear up excess as it expands before it sets hard.

UHU POR (not standard UHU) - this is great stuff, my main build glue. It's flexible and takes a while to set so it's a strong bond on foam and not brittle. Down side is it takes ages to set.

Hot glue - fast as you like, fills gaps, but it's heavy.

Epoxy - very strong, but a bit more of a pain to use and again it's heavy. I only use for beefing up motor mounts, though these days not even that.

Foam safe CA- as per normal CA but won't melt EPS.

I sometimes use gorilla glue and CA together- the CA stops the GG from foaming up so much, the GG provides strength in the joint.

I use some others, and a variety of tapes as well, but those are the main ones.

Great write up on the best glues to use.... :thumbsup:

I only use Hot Glue for glueing the servos in place,,,, every thing else as above I use for building and repair work..

Sean

thanks for the advice guys,

got some uhu por coming too i like that its contact adhesive.

with that the gorilla glue and the hot glue gun i should be ok

just need a roll of tape and i got most things covered.

thanks for the advice guys,

got some uhu por coming too i like that its contact adhesive.

with that the gorilla glue and the hot glue gun i should be ok

just need a roll of tape and i got most things covered.

I use Masking tape or the Blue Painters tape for holding the foam together while the glue's stick...

Sean

Im more used to balsa and tissue from my youthful days with free flight planes and still make the guillows kits for fun, It with the view to converting one of those to elec RC that I got the epo trainer.

I will be crashing it a lot cos i havent flown RC planes before.

With the balsa and tissue ones you can always rebuild but it can take a bit of time.

perhaps a plane i knew i had to mod before flying it was not a wise move, but once i have it set up and ready for flight it should be good to fly if the you tube vids are anything to go by.

With my selection of glues you have all been suggesting i shold be ready for a first flight soon when the weather gets better.

no infact i take my hat of to you carlton.

most would steer clear of anything that required modding to gain flight.

you have taken bull by horns and tamed it. keep it up ...

some other stuff we use but , not tell many about.

remember as a kiddie that microporus tape the docs used to use to make paper stitches.

its awesome stuff to use for repairs to wings when they get dinged.

also makes for a way to hold down canopys to.

sewing pins, these can be used as steel spars in fuselage, like the crash damage above.

you would pin the joints and glue. carbon rod also is a good spare for repair. and can be used for pinning.

Solder : fishing weights. we use these to add extra nose weight, or tail weight.

its a heavy metal mix thats plyable so can be wound up and or scrunched to fit in small areas.

its weight to volume is great.