• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

KV rating for Short Course truck.

Evo_ermine

I need a motor/ESC system for a Ansmann SC4 truck. I think I'm right in saying it's based on the buggy but with bigger wheels. So what recommendations do you have for a motor. I'm more interested in picking a sensible motor for racing on a 2S rather than bashing.

Looking at some RTR 4x4 trucks, some come with a lowish KV rating and others with higher ones. I read a thread a while ago where Si Coe was helping someone with a Ansmann SC truck and it turned out the motor wasn't good enough but I can't seem to find it.

Any suggestions? Ta.

The Ansmann's not a real shortcourse though - its a buggy in drag. The big 550 motors won't fit and the drivetrain isn't built for that sort of torque anyways.

You want a fairly mild 4wd buggy motor - something in the 7.5-8.5t region so around 4000-5000kV but not a 4 pole or SC specific.

I'd avoid the blue finned can Ezrun and Etronix motor - the SC4 may not be full sized but those motors aren't even 540 let alone 550! Something with a proper full sized 540 can is needed, but nothing more.

EZRun 8.5T 4000kv would be perfect or the Reedy (Associated) 550SL-3500Kv/4000Kv. The Reedy 550SL isn't a true 550 class motor and is somewhere between 540 and 550. Nicer as a little bit more torque. Can get them on the Bay for quite cheap.

I'd avoid the blue finned can Ezrun and Etronix motor - the SC4 may not be full sized but those motors aren't even 540 let alone 550! Something with a proper full sized 540 can is needed, but nothing more.

Understand where you are coming and think on balance you are probably right for a 4x4 but I would say if speed is not your thing and you keep the gearing at stock or lower you probably wouldn't have any problems - I know I haven't in either my Slash (SBS 2.0 9.0T/4370KV) or my Rustler Baja Bug (SBS 1.0 (13.0T/3000KV (despite what my sig says). The SBS 1.0 was second hand as well so in reality I have no way of knowing how it was thrashed prior to me having it and its taken more stick than the new one.

Not saying your advice is wrong at all just that if you set your expectations appropriately and accept the potential risks then they are still valid options at a reasonable price.

That said I've have just switched to an HPI system (4000KV 4 pole) in the slash as I'm looking to try some 2.8's on there and figured that would definately be putting strain on the motor given the varied terrain I bash on.

I run this combo in my Slash 4x4 on 2s geared correctly and it goes very well :thumbsup:.

If got a couple of the WP SC8 Esc's and havent had one of these motors before and i must say im very impressed with the motor.

http://www.rcecho.com/HOBBYWING-EZRUN-3656-4700KV-RC-Brushless-Motor-WP-SC8-120A-ESC-Combo-ME180.html

Thanks.