• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New motor for Slash 4x4, up or down in Kv?

Slugsie

18 members have voted

1. 1. Up or down in Kv?

OK, congrats on that, but one question.... WHY? That ESC is way over kill, and 8S would shred pretty much every part of the drivetrain.

Why? Er.........oh yeah, I remember, It's the only decent ESC I've got and with no funds to buy something else, I figured "what the heck". Basically, it'll run 3 to 8s, I'm only planning on 3 and 4, so if it can do the job, I'm happy.

I'll probably try it on 8s, just for giggles. But on 4s the tyres started to come off the Rims!

I'm not trying to set it up as an 8s machine, just using the bits I've got knocking around in the parts bin.

• Like 1

Wow, I wish I just had MGM ESCs lying around. ;)

It's just that I never sell ESCs, to much loss on second hand electronics. I'll sell cars, but always keep the expensive leccy bits.

Didn't get time to do any testing today, hopefully tomorrow!

Got the track star 2560 motor in mine now.

Tested it the other day but it's topping out to quick so i think i'm going to have to adjust the gearing, was thinking of a 50 tooth spur and a 23 tooth pinion ?

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that is exactly what I've done. The 40t fits straight on (I believe that up to 44t fits if you can find one), and I'm running that with a 19t spur.

Im sorry but higher kv would have been way better.

You say you are getting low 30's on 2s lipo and getting higher more decent speeds on 3s but noticing driveshaft problems.

Since its only intened to be a 2s truck, a higher kv motor would have been much better. Would be getting low 40's speedwise and no noticable driveshaft problems (in my experience)

Still, glad you are having fun with it :)

Part of the reason I went lower kv in the end is I wanted the much better torque to turn my big heavy truggy style wheels. Upgrading the drive shafts isn't a problem, just another thing that I need/want to do. I'm also going to be looking into getting the new lcg chassis that Traxxas have released for the rally version of the Slash. The speed I'm currently getting on 2S is exactly the speed I wanted. I don't need it to go 40+, if I want to go fast then I just get out my Hyper 7 and use that.

My Slash is evolving exactly how I wanted it to, and I'm enjoying driving it again. It's got the speed and power for rough terrain (it just falls over a bit too easily, like all Slashes do), and it flies very well - flat if you want, or double back flips on command. I need a new shell now however as I've trashed the J-Concepts BAJR shell. It'll probably run a buggy style shell next until I trash that. I just need to sort the appropriate mounts.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

If you wanna run 3s all the time the 3500kv will be a better choice and easier on batteries

Andy, what's the best motor/kv to go for in your opinion? 3s only running? I get a feeling I'll need to upgrade my 4000kv HW motor sooner rather than later, it's a wee bit notchy.

Andy, what's the best motor/kv to go for in your opinion? 3s only running? I get a feeling I'll need to upgrade my 4000kv HW motor sooner rather than later, it's a wee bit notchy.

I run this on 3s only goes like stink and temps are perfect

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=161533579786&globalID=EBAY-GB