• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The evolution of DreXeL's Savage...

DreXeL

Hi Drexel,

How did you fill the oil in the IRC big bores? I noticed theres a little air bleed value or something on the cap that you put a screw into after. I assume you fill the shock body with oil to the brim then screw on the cap...is that it? bit then isnt there a little space left inside with air? How did you do yours?

Thanks

Mo.

Take the bleed screw out of the cap, fill shocks to the top of the shock body with shaft fully extended. Leave for a while for air bubbles to come out of oil. When you do put oil in the shocks, try and do it in one continuous pour. That will put less air bubbles into the oil. Once settled, screw the shock cap on and make sure o'rings are seated correctly. Once the cap is on nice and tight, grab some tissue and very slowly push the shock shaft up inside the body and excess oil will bleed out. With the shaft still fully compressed screw the bleed screw in and that's it. The shock cap looks like there is a gap but it actually sits flat on top of the shock body.

That's how I do my LST2 shocks and I believe the IRC's are the same.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not really, it's pretty much where I want it to be now, it handles nicely, has plenty of power and seems pretty much indestructible so I don't really need to do anything else other than run it and enjoy it :)

I'll need a new shell before long though lol.

• Like 1

Not really, it's pretty much where I want it to be now, it handles nicely, has plenty of power and seems pretty much indestructible so I don't really need to do anything else other than run it and enjoy it :)

I'll need a new shell before long though lol.

lol wish mine was like that lol

• 3 weeks later...

just read the thread, its awesome! these days usually all the big money goes brushless glad to see this is nitro :)

id like to do some of the upgrades you have done, but i think after christmas ill only be buying a new shell lol

do you recommend the idling break in method? because everyone seems to be raving about the heat cycle method and im not sure what to do?

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

They aren't black they are gunmetal. You can't just fit the beadlocks, you need the wheels too. These are the wheels I have:

http://www.wheelspin....co.uk/i/17343/

Edited by DreXeL

• 1 year later...

Not been on here in a while, my Savage (like to the rest of my RCs) has been somewhat neglected over the past year and a have been busy moving house, etc etc. Anyway, I'm getting back into the 'game', and my Savvy has had a fairly big change. I know I never said I'd do it, but it's gone brushless!

It came about when I was bored one day and decided to have a little play and see what it would be like with brushless power, so I bodged the centre diff and electrics out of my Hyper into it......and I actually really enjoyed it!

So I decided to do it properly. Cue an Alza Racing centre diff mount:

DSC_0009_zpsa8zlkgmd.jpg

Lovely bit of kit.

During building it back up:

DSC_0015_zpsasuuy1w5.jpg

DSC_0016_zps9e8lrcsu.jpg

Battery tray and electrics in. I wanted to keep the battery in board, I don't like battery trays hanging off the side, so I've mounted it up front. Helps with weight distribution too, it's a wheelie monster so any weight up front is welcome :D

DSC_0017_zps712uufto.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsh0rnhwqa.jpg

Done.

DSC_0031_zpsk93rvf7p.jpg

DSC_0033_zpstjwaucd4.jpg

DSC_0032_zpstn3qhabe.jpg

Treated it to a new shell too, as the other one was a bit beat up. Also had a cutout for the nitro engine, which obviously wasn't needed any more.

DSC_0037_zpsrxgnprtu.jpg

DSC_0040_zps6ymvywu1.jpg

Currently running silly low gearing of 52/11 due to it being a heavy truck and a 2200kv motor, but it's already huge fun, even at 4S. Going to run 5S soon, then plan to get hold of a 1717 and raise the gearing. Never thought I'd go brushless with this truck, but really enjoying the dark side ;)

Edited by DreXeL
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's the battery tray from my Hyper, it's from a Hyper 7 conversion kit, the make of which escapes me know... It's mounted by being bolted to an aluminium plate that passes underneath the modified radio box.

Thanks for the reply  :thumbsup:  I have 4 6s LiPo's sat here and it would save me a few quid if I didn't need to buy a load of 3s. Have a roller on the way so compiling a shopping list.

Savage is looking awesome mate, keep updating the thread  :yes: