• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

1 hour ago, CRNeo said:

Am I missing something? What have I done as I can't tell from looking... prob something stupid no doubt...

Have you got any other pics from different angles? That doesn’t look right at all, are the front shocks seized from sitting about? 

• Like 2

Can we see pic from the top  front and both sides from wheels  view.  An underneath   we will spot somthing . 

But one thing could you have the shocks in the wrong holes on the top  an shocks unscrewed all way down to push the wheels down . 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CRNeo said:

Just pulled my ftx vantage out the garage after a while... I know last time I replaced a bunch of stuff on the front end but I've obviously done something wrong as the front wheels seem to be sitting high up and the springs possibly a bit compressed which seems not quite right.

Am I missing something? What have I done as I can't tell from looking... prob something stupid no doubt...

PXL_20220402_103614525.jpg

Try removing the front shocks and see if the wheels drop. 

• Like 1

Hi Guys!!

Newbie to RC here.

I have just bought a FTX Vantage 2.0 and loving it so far.

Just wanted to ask if anyone here had any advice or anything I should do before taking it out for a proper run.

I have noticed that the included batter and and battery charger don't run for long and take a long time to charge. I have purchased a 3s lipo to use in it as I have seen that it does support upto 3s lipos, is there anything I should be cautious of?

This is the lipo and battery charger I have purchased: 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/voltz-2200mah-3s-111v-30c-lipo-battery-442620

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/overlander-rc-3s-lipo-balance-charger-395511

Thanks!!!

31 minutes ago, Pla said:

Hi Guys!!

Newbie to RC here.

Just wanted to ask if anyone here had any advice or anything I should do before taking it out for a proper run.

I have noticed that the included batter and and battery charger don't run for long and take a long time to charge. I have purchased a 3s lipo to use in it as I have seen that it does support upto 3s lipos, is there anything I should be cautious of?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/voltz-2200mah-3s-111v-30c-lipo-battery-442620

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/overlander-rc-3s-lipo-balance-charger-395511

Thanks!!!

I could be wrong, but I’m not sure that the balance charger you’ve selected has the ability to charge batteries to storage voltage which is recommended around 3.8v per cell (11.4v for your 3s). If you don’t know about lipo safety it’d be a good idea for you to read up a bit on them as they can cause fires if mishandled. 

otherwise, I would just take it out for a bash. Repair as you go. There is a list I could give you for the carnage, but I’ve not owned a vantage so not certain if weak points are same across range of models. You may find the spur gets stripped if using 3s and lots of heavy acceleration/breaking. If/when it does, get a hardened version to replace it. RW racing do a nice one, and same can be said for the pinion - the stock ones seem to be made from some kind of soft cheese 😆

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Pla said:

Hi Guys!!

Newbie to RC here.

Thanks!!!

What @Ant.p said. 👍

If you can find one, get a steel spur. Will seem expensive compared to the stock one, but trust me, after replacing your third spur gear you’ll happily pay it. The steel one is fit and forget.

A carbon top plate stiffens the chassis brilliantly. If you are tempted by carbon shock  towers, don’t get the pro version. They look pretty, but are fragile compared to the basic ones.

After that I’d upgrade as you repair. You WILL break front suspension arms but they are cheap as chips. Personally I’d avoid the alloy versions but I’d recommend the alloy swing arm holders. 

Enjoy.

2 hours ago, Pla said:

Newbie to RC here.

This charger only uses a charge rate of 1.5A so won’t charge it very quickly and advised by ant it won’t be able to discharge or store lipos. 

As advised the steel spur is a great upgrade, bear in mind you will need to get a steel pinion as the stock one will last 5 mins, also make sure u get a spur that has the face machined to hold the slipper clutch, I made the mistake of buying a flat one and the slipper clutch tore itself to bits! Here is a good one that I run now

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265004970955?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=vFJcSCD9QMu&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=uDWqHc-zSrO&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Thanks @Ant.p @Fat Freddy @Vanden Plas!!!

Looks like I have a lot of learning to do 😅

Just watched this video on LiPo batteries and everything you need to know, was very helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cIsV4tqimc&ab_channel=CrazyHobbies

Hopefully I can return the charger I bought from ModelSport, as after watching the video, it is for sure not the charger I need. Rookie mistake of blindly ordering without actually researching properly first 🙃

As for the battery charger I am guessing something like this would be much better https://www.amazon.co.uk/Haisito-Battery-Balance-Charger-Discharger/dp/B08C9NT8DW/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2VNIY5VO06RCK&dd=jBrwcEGhsZ8O15kjYnCapQ%2C%2C&keywords=lipo+battery+charger&qid=1649375482&refinements=p_90%3A22415809031&rnid=5381144031&sprefix=lipo+battery+charger%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-6 unless there is something else that you guys would recommend over this?

Will definitely get the steel gears ordered in for when the stock ones eventually die, as well as some extra parts as suggested for when I inevitably crash and break things.

But I guess that is the fun of RC, the whole rebuilding and upgrading process.

Thank you once again, it is much appreciated and has helped me out a lot!! 🤝

6 hours ago, Pla said:

Thanks @Ant.p @Fat Freddy @Vanden Plas!!!

Looks like I have a lot of learning to do 😅

Just watched this video on LiPo batteries and everything you need to know, was very helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cIsV4tqimc&ab_channel=CrazyHobbies

Hopefully I can return the charger I bought from ModelSport, as after watching the video, it is for sure not the charger I need. Rookie mistake of blindly ordering without actually researching properly first 🙃

As for the battery charger I am guessing something like this would be much better https://www.amazon.co.uk/Haisito-Battery-Balance-Charger-Discharger/dp/B08C9NT8DW/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2VNIY5VO06RCK&dd=jBrwcEGhsZ8O15kjYnCapQ%2C%2C&keywords=lipo+battery+charger&qid=1649375482&refinements=p_90%3A22415809031&rnid=5381144031&sprefix=lipo+battery+charger%2Caps%2C132&sr=8-6 unless there is something else that you guys would recommend over this?

Will definitely get the steel gears ordered in for when the stock ones eventually die, as well as some extra parts as suggested for when I inevitably crash and break things.

But I guess that is the fun of RC, the whole rebuilding and upgrading process.

Thank you once again, it is much appreciated and has helped me out a lot!! 🤝

glad you’ve read up - lipos are awesome with a little care, so don’t be put off!

I would re come the below charger based on the price of the Amazon one you are considering.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/skyrc-t100-dual-battery-lipo-balance-charger-444856

You will need to also purchase additional leads for your battery and balance extension cable. This will depend on what plug you have on the end of your lipo. All options are near the bottom of the page under ’popular options’.

any questions, please ask!

• Like 1

Like you I had a steep learning curve with lipos, I brought the skyrc t100 like recommended above and can't rate it enough. It's simple to use and does everything you need and best of all it charges 2 batteries at the same time! Like stated above I needed a adaptor lead to go from the charger to the battery (xt60-deans) and also brought a balance lead extensension for ease of use.

I got it from wheelspin as that was cheapest I could find it and is also my local shop. There's helpful YouTube videos that show how to use the different modes on the skyrct100.

Incase you didn't know, On the carnage there's a little plug on the ESC to move over for lipo mode, as far as I know it turns on a automatic cut off when the lipos run low so you don't kill the battery. Im not sure if yours is the same?

• Like 2

@Pla

i just had a thought, when you do come to replace your spur and pinion make sure you watch a YouTube clip on how to properly set them up, this can be a little tricky. If you do it too tight it can cause it to bind and you will destroy your running gear and to loose and it will mash the cogs up. There is a sweet spot that is best shown rather than explained! 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Madmoz7610 said:

Hi all, Wana upgrade my brushless etronix to sumin that uses a 3.2mm pinion shaft and work with 4s lipo 

What do you mean, the etronix is 3.2mm shaft, the motor isnt really suitable for 4s mine shed its magnets when i tried it.
IMG_20211016_164115.thumb.jpg.6f5f96bad94f0008f7dfef649744b568.jpg
Or are you saying you want to run pinions on the spur gear, if so your kinda out of luck as the spur shaft isnt the right size, you can make your own and run it tho.
IMG_20210627_190840.thumb.jpg.8105d84fe6e4fc32f1d49c5e6ce6e6ae.jpg

or do you want to upgrade your extronix brushless combo, if so cant go wrong with hobbywing max10sct but the motors are 5mm bore usually.

Edited by Redback

16 minutes ago, Redback said:

What do you mean, the etronix is 3.2mm shaft, the motor isnt really suitable for 4s mine shed its magnets when i tried it.
IMG_20211016_164115.thumb.jpg.6f5f96bad94f0008f7dfef649744b568.jpg
Or are you saying you want to run pinions on the spur gear, if so your kinda out of luck as the spur shaft isnt the right size, you can make your own and run it tho.
IMG_20210627_190840.thumb.jpg.8105d84fe6e4fc32f1d49c5e6ce6e6ae.jpg

or do you want to upgrade your extronix brushless combo, if so cant go wrong with hobbywing max10sct but the motors are 5mm bore usually.

Basically want to run the rw racing pinion I'm usin on my etronix motor now on a better motor preferably on a 4s compatible motor an esc combo, looked at the max10  but my pinion gear won't fit 

4 hours ago, Vanden Plas said:

Could you not just get a new rw pinion to fit a 5mm shaft? If you are spending out on a new esc combo then tis just another small thing to get

I could but wanted to use these parts with a beefier motor lol, been lookin at the 60a etronix set up but not sure if its gona make that much difference 

10 minutes ago, Madmoz7610 said:

I could but wanted to use these parts with a beefier motor lol, been lookin at the 60a etronix set up but not sure if its gona make that much difference 

If all you’re looking for is more top end speed, maybe try a larger pinion before splashing out on another motor and esc. Just keep an eye on the temps; this could be controlled with a metal heat sink and fan combo if you aren’t already using one.

I have a 5mm and a 3.2mm shaft depending on which motor.

But the Max10s are 3.2 and my larger etronix is 5mm.

RW Racing does have the 0.6mod 5mm bore but out of stock at the min.

https://www.rwracing.co.uk/product/-6-module-helicopter-pinion-5mm-bore-short-boss

Give them a call and see when they will be getting/making more.

Edited by vimto2000

4 hours ago, Ant.p said:

If all you’re looking for is more top end speed, maybe try a larger pinion before splashing out on another motor and esc. Just keep an eye on the temps; this could be controlled with a metal heat sink and fan combo if you aren’t already using one.

IV looked into different pinions, brother in law gave me a few but didn't really make much difference

4 hours ago, vimto2000 said:

I have a 5mm and a 3.2mm shaft depending on which motor.

But the Max10s are 3.2 and my larger etronix is 5mm.

RW Racing does have the 0.6mod 5mm bore but out of stock at the min.

https://www.rwracing.co.uk/product/-6-module-helicopter-pinion-5mm-bore-short-boss

Give them a call and see when they will be getting/making more.

U sure the max10s are a 3.2? 

4 hours ago, Vanden Plas said:

I have a max10 combo and it has a 5mm bore, pretty sure all the 3660 motors come with 5mm bore tbh

I thought it had a 5mm bore but havnt got one so wasn't sure if they made both sizes lol il jus stick to the crappy etronix for now and will look at doin the max10 upgrade when this motor eventually burns out 🤠

On 13/04/2022 at 16:57, Madmoz7610 said:

IV looked into different pinions, brother in law gave me a few but didn't really make much difference

U sure the max10s are a 3.2? 

You got me double checking myself now... I'm pretty sure...I had the 3300kv motors.

The rigs are in storage at the moment so can't check. 

I've checked my last order and I ordered two with 3.2mm hole IE the 0.6 mod tamiya one for the max10.

Edited by vimto2000