• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Guys, I'm looking to convert my vantage into 2wd as my local club requires new drivers to start with restricted class with 2wd buggys. If I remove central shaft, front cvd's, diff gearbox will this be in overall OK for the rest of the components? Will I have to up/down pinion gear?

1 hour ago, budman9 said:

Guys, I'm looking to convert my vantage into 2wd as my local club requires new drivers to start with restricted class with 2wd buggys. If I remove central shaft, front cvd's, diff gearbox will this be in overall OK for the rest of the components? Will I have to up/down pinion gear?

I run mind rwd. At first all I did was take out the central shaft. The cvds are tricky. The old ones you could take the shaft off and keep the thing the wheel goes onto in. But with the newer cvds you can't. If you take the cvds out. The wheels won't have anything to go on. BUTT NEVER FEAR. Easy fix. All you do is switch the front and rear shafts. Use the cvds in the rear wheels and use the, whatever thoose output cup thingies are called in the front. I'm doing that atm. 

As for gearing. Uh. I dunno.  I modified mine with trial and error for top speed. Don't know about stock. There is less load on the gear so it should be fine I guess. 

As for the diff. I've left mine in because I'm too lazy to keep it safe. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/11/2019 at 23:25, Fly In My Soup said:

From one of my fb groups 

WBWegsy.jpg

Dont ask.... 😂

A bit late to be responding to this but wtf?

Real? Or just sort of balanced together as a joke? 

Surely it’d just pull itself apart?

1 hour ago, Fat Freddy said:

A bit late to be responding to this but wtf?

Real? Or just sort of balanced together as a joke? 

Surely it’d just pull itself apart?

No its real..... Just a side by side Conversion engine wise... 

Then extenders for dually's on the rear.... 

Rear wheel Idea is a bit stoooopid for a basher.... But I dig the engine setup👍

13 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

No its real..... Just a side by side Conversion engine wise... 

Then extenders for dually's on the rear.... 

Rear wheel Idea is a bit stoooopid for a basher.... But I dig the engine setup👍

Aaaaaawwwh. I wanna know more about this. How did they get dual wheels on the back? Are the diffs stock? Is the spur metal? How fast does this thing go? Does it actually work? 

How much chassis flex? 

Rwd or awd? 

3 hours ago, Jamil237237 said:

Aaaaaawwwh. I wanna know more about this. How did they get dual wheels on the back? Are the diffs stock? Is the spur metal? How fast does this thing go? Does it actually work? 

How much chassis flex? 

Rwd or awd? 

No idea to any of the above.... See fb😂🤣🤣

I just spotted it in my feed

The boy had a good bash today with the Bugsta, the metal pinion, spur gear and carbon top plate worked great, no more stripped gears!

After about 45 minutes we started to hear some clicking under acceleration, initially i thought it sounds like the front diff so I loosened the grub screw on the bar going through the middle to make it two wheel drive but the clicking is also happening so I think we may have stripped some gears in both diffs :(

I actually have a whole spare rear diff here I bought a while back but im quite interested in taking it apart anyway to see how it all works so im confident rebuilding them going forward when we buy a more expensive car.

I'm going to have strip down of the front diff one evening this week, is there anything i should look out for or buy up front before taking it apart? 

I also have no idea about what oil/grease to use so if someone could help me on what to get that would be great.

Cheers guys :)

On 17/11/2019 at 16:44, F1aw1ess said:

The boy had a good bash today with the Bugsta, the metal pinion, spur gear and carbon top plate worked great, no more stripped gears!

After about 45 minutes we started to hear some clicking under acceleration, initially i thought it sounds like the front diff so I loosened the grub screw on the bar going through the middle to make it two wheel drive but the clicking is also happening so I think we may have stripped some gears in both diffs :(

I actually have a whole spare rear diff here I bought a while back but im quite interested in taking it apart anyway to see how it all works so im confident rebuilding them going forward when we buy a more expensive car.

I'm going to have strip down of the front diff one evening this week, is there anything i should look out for or buy up front before taking it apart? 

I also have no idea about what oil/grease to use so if someone could help me on what to get that would be great.

Cheers guys :)

Mine carnage was clicking when slipper clutch went loose. 

It’s not so much the diffs than the crown and pinion gear in the gearbox. They move and the metal is weak which is why they strip easily.

I use a small bit of silicone grease. You don’t want much in the main gearbox. I’ve never had to replace the actual diffs so can’t comment on the grease used in them.

Quick update, I removed the gearbox and replaced it with a spare I had, the stock grease they use is really clumpy and seems to hinder more than help.

I cleaned everything out and added some 5000 CST silicone oil to the diff and used some general purpose Belray waterproof grease for the crown gear and so far so good, no clicking coming from the diff anymore and everything seems to be running sweet.

Some of the teeth of the crown gear looked a little worn but I dont know whether it was enough to make it click, I havent taken the old diff apart yet so will have a look inside once I do.

Thanks for your help :)

Hey guys, are parts still available for the Vantage?  I have a Quanum Vandal which I am told is the same car, but am struggling to find replacement parts at the moment, everyone seems to be out of stock!

Anyone have some good suppliers?

Specifically I am after a replacement rear dogbone, and an alloy chassis plate.

5 hours ago, Adam Zielinski said:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-rear-driveshaft-vantage-2-/rc-car-products/365814

or you can convert and use the cvd's if you want

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-front-cvd-set-vantage-hooligan/rc-car-products/365769

Carbon chassis

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-vantage-aluminium-and-carbon-chassis-plate-1set-/rc-car-products/369553

Afraid I don't know about the aluminium chassis, was it available for the buggy? I have one on my Carnage, but never looked to see if they made them for the Vantage.

42 minutes ago, 300bhp/ton said:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-rear-driveshaft-vantage-2-/rc-car-products/365814

or you can convert and use the cvd's if you want

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-front-cvd-set-vantage-hooligan/rc-car-products/365769

Carbon chassis

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-vantage-aluminium-and-carbon-chassis-plate-1set-/rc-car-products/369553

Afraid I don't know about the aluminium chassis, was it available for the buggy? I have one on my Carnage, but never looked to see if they made them for the Vantage.

Thanks for that I'll check it out, hopefully postage isn't too much to Australia.

In regards to the chassis, there is an alloy one available for the Vandal, so assumed the vantage would also have it, not sure.

55 minutes ago, Adam Zielinski said:

Thanks for that I'll check it out, hopefully postage isn't too much to Australia.

In regards to the chassis, there is an alloy one available for the Vandal, so assumed the vantage would also have it, not sure.

Apologies, assumed you were in the UK.

On 28/11/2019 at 05:02, Adam Zielinski said:

Hey guys, are parts still available for the Vantage?  I have a Quanum Vandal which I am told is the same car, but am struggling to find replacement parts at the moment, everyone seems to be out of stock!

Anyone have some good suppliers?

Re the chassis plate.......imho you are better off with the plastic chassis and the carbon top plate. Once an Alu part bends you’ll never quite get it back to its pre crash condition. Whereas the plastic parts are cheap as chips. Add the carbon top plate and it stiffens everything up, and reduces flex massively. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, DinkyDavo said:

I’ve recently picked up a Vantage from EBay, it’s got aluminium  steering Ackerman, knuckle and arms at the front.  Though there seems to be left and right play in the wheels like the steering is lose.   Anyone experienced this? 

Tighten the nuts on the wheels if they're too lose,  otherwise you can't really do much. It's a cheap chassis. The steering issues are caused by the fact that there are small impurities in sizes by manufacturing defects. Also just general design has too much play. The hole sizes are too big in certain spots. 

Easiest way to find these is hold the wheel still, and move the servo. Look at what parts of the steering mechanusm still move. And you can use your brain to figure the rest out. 

11 hours ago, DinkyDavo said:

I’ve recently picked up a Vantage from EBay, it’s got aluminium  steering Ackerman, knuckle and arms at the front.  Though there seems to be left and right play in the wheels like the steering is lose.   Anyone experienced this? 

The alloy parts can wear quite quickly, especially the steering ackermann in alloy as it doesnt come with bushes for the screws, and the servo saver design is quite poor.

This guide may help with the steering slop to some degree.

Last week rear left tyre on my carnage decided to puncture and launched the foam insert into the atmosphere... That was the moment of happines, the moment i was waiting for so long...to finally replace those cheap wheels...

Well, i did some online shoping...after few glasses of wine...at that moment it seemed like a reasonable choice. In the morning i realized that i bought wheels and tyres that cost 75% of the initial price of the Carnage brushed, that i bought under similar conditions... (facepalm)

Well, today when i got them i was shocked. They are bigger, wider and much stronger compared to stock ones. Oh and they are BELTED

20191216_195424-1612x1209.jpg

20191216_195532-1612x1209.jpg

20191216_195540-1612x1209.jpg

Edited by zlab