• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

On 11/08/2019 at 11:09, mydoddy69 said:

🤣🤣 only slightly over kill for a £100 toy though 🤣👍

all you you need for this is a pair of pliers and a 2mm hex driver and possible a 2.5mm or you can get a decent set for like £20 Which is more than enough for these 🤣

Yeah.... I get your point.... 

But crap tools are crap... They don't last for more than a few months.... 

Assuming he doesn't want to buy tools every few months to replace the crap ones that have rounded off.... He may aswell invest in decent tools to begin with....  Buy cheap buy twice... 

Also, if he wanted to buy other rc in the future...(This of course is an assumption)... Then he will need tools that have better longevity overall. 

I use mine for work.... Its secondary use is for rc... With household stuff after that... 

I still have a few snap on Allen drivers from like 15 years ago that I got when doing my apprenticeship ... There's nowt wrong with them functionally... They just got so dirty I bought new ones around 5 years ago (went for solid handles again.. Not the rubber gripped ones) 

I've had cheap (and I mean el cheapo) ones round off on the First use.... Nothing more frustrating than attempting to do any job using cack tools.... 

Just my opinion of course.... 

2 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Assuming he doesn't want to buy tools every few months to replace the crap ones that have rounded off.... He may aswell invest in decent tools to begin with....  Buy cheap buy twice... 

Also, if he wanted to buy other rc in the future...(This of course is an assumption)... Then he will need tools that have better longevity overall. 

I use mine for work.... Its secondary use is for rc... With household stuff after that... 

I still have a few snap on Allen drivers from like 15 years ago that I got when doing my apprenticeship ... There's nowt wrong with them functionally... They just got so dirty I bought new ones around 5 years ago (went for solid handles again.. Not the rubber gripped ones) 

I've had cheap (and I mean el cheapo) ones round off on the First use.... Nothing more frustrating than attempting to do any job using cack tools.... 

I have had £20 sets last for years not just months 😂 what you doing with them to kill them in months ? 

Don't get me wrong quality tools do last and if like you your going to be using them for trade as well as home life then yes I can see the point of spending a £100-£150 on a set of hex drivers but if it’s just for you little rc cars then it’s a bit overkill. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Don't misunderstand, I love snap on, great tools and with a lifetime guarantee, the last tools you'll ever have to buy. And if I could afford them I would.

BUT in particular with an ftx vantage, with almost no metal to metal fasteners, how on earth would you round off even the cheapest hex key?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mydoddy69 said:

I have had £20 sets last for years not just months 😂 what you doing with them to kill them in months ? 

Using them frequently.... 

Not once a fortnight, like every two days... I have 3 kids... So they use... And break 🤣(unfortunately)... Something on their rc very often.... 

Nothing heavy duty.... Just frequent use... 3-4 times a week... I just got fed up of replacing them/grinding them down at the tip

Maybe I'm just heavy handed🤔🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Using them frequently.... 

Not once a fortnight, like every two days... I have 3 kids... So they use... And break 🤣(unfortunately)... Something on their rc very often.... 

Nothing heavy duty.... Just frequent use... 3-4 times a week... I just got fed up of replacing them/grinding them down at the tip

Shove em in all the way and make sure its straight in. Not at an angle. This prolongs how long it'll last  

You probably know that but in the off chance you didn't. Here you go 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jamil237237 said:

Shove em in all the way and make sure its straight in. Not at an angle. This prolongs how long it'll last  

You probably know that but in the off chance you didn't. Here you go 

Agreed, take your time and try not to use too much force going in, or you'll find it really tight getting it out again.

I find some lubricant and a tool with a hardened tip can help with a difficult screw.

Hmmm? Sorry, what?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Viper1968 said:

Looks good. 

Thanks

I would have posted more pics but the forum won’t let me. Every time I post a pic my “max file size” gets lowered. It’s now saying It’s 0.91mb max. 

Any ideas why @Fly In My Soup?

On 08/08/2019 at 14:26, Fat Freddy said:

Anyways, after emailing them pics, they’ve agreed to give me a refund.

I’m going to set about it with some hot water later and see if I can salvage it at all. It was only ever meant for bashing anyway. 

D21D7115-830A-4654-B849-8A729245AF44.jpeg

So how goes the body? Did you manage to salvage the original? 

Oh yeah, I forgot. I went to post pics of the results but the forum wouldn’t let me. Meant to try again later but didn’t get round to it.

I used hot water to soften it slightly and managed to ease out all but the worst creases. Looked ok til I butchered it to make it fit. 

Even looked pretty good in action (from a distance at 20+mph 😂) but it acted like a grit and stone collector. All the debris thrown up by the wheels bounced off the underside into the electrickery and spur etc. 

Have gone back to an original shell, it’s more protective, but as mentioned above, bought a clear one and painted it. Just made it more “mine” if you know what I mean.

I would post a pic of the butchered skyline shell but the forum won’t let me! Keeps telling me there’s an error! V frustrating.

(for some reason it says I’m limited to a .91 mb file, the pic as wanted to post is .526mb but I just get “upload failed” grrr)

12 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

I thought you sold your vantage/vandal?

They servo savers? 

It was up for sale but had nothing but silly offers for it so I kept it 🤣

yes finally some servo savers to get to get rid of that  stupid e clip design with nice bearings instead of the pre war bushings 🤣🤣

39 minutes ago, mydoddy69 said:

It was up for sale but had nothing but silly offers for it so I kept it 🤣

yes finally some servo savers to get to get rid of that  stupid e clip design with nice bearings instead of the pre war bushings 🤣🤣

Nice. Funnily enough I was looking at mine yesterday and wondering if I could replace the e clip by using an old bearing as a spacer, just held in place with the top plate. Not sure if it’d work and those look far more elegant. Just had a little spending spree on new shell and wheels, but maybe next time I can find some “spare” cash......?

I looked at those sets but they dont use a bearing at the top wher the servo conects so its gonna wear and not center correctly etc after a little time.

To cure this problem you can also use a JAZRIDER HPI BULLET MT/ST Alloy crank set, Its only about £12

Bullet steering kit
You just use the bearings and the cranks, along with the FTX ackermann. You need to put the two stock bearings on the posts first, then add the cranks with ballraces intstalled and a few traxxas washers  (TRX1985) or similar 5x8 shims to take up the slack under the top plate. You need to use a direct servo saver on the servo. The traxxas 2wd one will fit with a bit of dremmeling to the chassis, or the Tamiya high torque servo saver kit (in picture) or associated  b6 saver work extrememly well to.

As the cranks run on ballbearings, there is no slop and steering is direct, smooth and actually centers correctly everytime  too. I have done this mod to the carnage and vantage, and also my

outlaw too. I have also fitted it to a mates carnage NT. It works even better if you add decent metal geared high speed/torque servo too.😁

WP_20181006_15_02_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20181006_15_03_05_Pro.jpg

WP_20181007_15_54_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20181018_13_42_36_Pro.jpg

Edited by daveyboi73

16 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

Oh yeah, I forgot. I went to post pics of the results but the forum wouldn’t let me. Meant to try again later but didn’t get round to it.

I used hot water to soften it slightly and managed to ease out all but the worst creases. Looked ok til I butchered it to make it fit. 

Even looked pretty good in action (from a distance at 20+mph 😂) but it acted like a grit and stone collector. All the debris thrown up by the wheels bounced off the underside into the electrickery and spur etc. 

Have gone back to an original shell, it’s more protective, but as mentioned above, bought a clear one and painted it. Just made it more “mine” if you know what I mean.

I would post a pic of the butchered skyline shell but the forum won’t let me! Keeps telling me there’s an error! V frustrating.

(for some reason it says I’m limited to a .91 mb file, the pic as wanted to post is .526mb but I just get “upload failed” grrr)

You've reached you direct upload limit... 

You have two options... 

- sign upto a third party sharing/hosting site like imgur/Flickr.... Upload photos to their and copy the link into your posts here.. 

Or

- buy a gold membership to this forum and get a 50mb direct upload every 12 months... (you also get other perks... Like being entered into competitions for free rc cars everytime we draw for a prize... Non gold members are not entered) 

Choice is yours dude👍