• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Traxxas XO-1: The Worlds Fastest Ready To Run RC Car

Garry

Wow! I wasn't expecting that.

Does look very cool indeed, but having the space to run one to it's full potential is going to be hard to find.

Still, like AJ I'm happiest about the powerplant.

It means, that at long last...

1717'S WILL BE BACK ON EBAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wub::cheers::ballons::cheers::wub:

• Like 3

I think that traxxas haven't designed this to be a big seller and create its own race class, it been designed to bring huge advertisement to traxxas by simply being the fastest RTR you can buy, its a similar thing to VW having the veyron to advertise instead of, lets say an F1 team. Just my opinion though

Indeed, it's clearly a 'halo' product.

Edited by DreXeL

welll...

the only thing i'm tempted by are the wheels and tires, powerplant and the radio gear :P

just hope its i phone link is reliable and works well :)

but yea, i love the inginuity and new bits of design :) i'd like a roller just to put on the side... as, like most people i have NO WHERE to run it...

Edited by Bazzokajoe

You have got the wrong impression.

At the end of the day its a Mamba Monster, so you can programme it like normal on your PC.

The iPhone app won't magically unlock 100mph. :rolleyes:

actually nick, traxxas are running their own software in this which incorporates a rpm imiter, so the app will in fact unlock 100mph....

wow, there is some cracking design features in this and hats off to traxxas for doing something different (again) but for the love of god why make the hand set ipod or iphone only?? what about people with android who dont want a fruit phone??

i can see the motor becoming a popular choice though, and the drive train looks to be sorted now, the aerodynamics look like they have been thought about in a serious way too. and now includes lipos!!

but for the money i would want a car that would do off-road too, thats the biggest disappointment for me!! i dont know about where most you guys bash but there is no where near me that has enough running area which is also smooth enough to run.

i think traxxas would have been better doing a "jack of all trades) probably would have sold better........

just my thoughts though.......

• Like 1

i agree that itis an amazing piece of design however itis a halo project likely to spawn a number of varients, i mean look at what they did with the revo chassis. i reckon as hpi have done with the D8 there will be a numberof variants, a racing sc, racing buggy, racing dune buggy thing, i think this is traxxas gennesis towards a completly new range

considering its called the XO-1.... i would assume its the first in a series....

meaning... ofroad comming soon? ;)

Traxxas have named it x-o1 so possibly that may mean they are coming out with a new line of cars called the X-0's: X-01, X-02 etc..

This may also mean they might come out with an off road version??<----- :yes:

Thats what i saiid earlier. :thumbsup:

wow, there is some cracking design features in this and hats off to traxxas for doing something different (again) but for the love of god why make the hand set ipod or iphone only?? what about people with android who dont want a fruit phone??

The answer to this is quite simple really...

On the android platform there must be almost two dozen phones in the current market line-up, thats just the current models.

How are Traxxas supposed to biuld a handset compatible with each and every one? Not to mention the software development issues with so many to cater for..

With the Apple, its just one Software development, and I-phones/IPod touches have had the same data port for many generations, not to mention their all more or less the same size.

Even if apple only had 20% of the smartphone market, (whitch they in reality have more.) the number of handsets compatable with their traxxas link handset out of the box is far more than any android handset.

The I-phone is far more universal in its backwards, and indeed future compatability with existing hardware (such as certain Traxxas Handsets..)

Also, Many younger hobbyists who perhaps dont have access to the latest smartphones are more likely to have an Ipod.

It makes perfect bussiness sense, The Apple is pure win in that respect, Androids diversity is its undoing here unfortunately.

Anyway, Would i buy one?? No....

i too have no-where i could use it..

at 27" Its too big and fast for most RC tracks i know.

(unless the track scene is a really big thing across the pond,)

It has no existing class for the racers, cant see it appealing to bashers.

Although i admire Traxxas's attempts to break the mould every few years, I just cant see this one selling.

This may well be Traxxas's unfortunate gremilin akin to HPI's Savage 5T, Unlike the Savage 5T however, this has obviously had some development and money sunk into it. Unless we see more Variations of this model soon, (ie an SC version) i can only guess that this will be a fabulous waste of time and money.

Edited by TerrorTrooper

It looks interesting and can see some awesome off road potential, and some slash hop up opportunities.

As for the speed factor, i will stick to trying to get 100mph on 2s for about 1/4 of the price lol

It's very clear why it uses an iPhone or iPod touch for the reasons listed above. And if you don't have one, I bet you know someone who does. ;)

But Nick is right. I'll put my own Rx and Tx in, then program with castle link. Surely they can't have stopped that.

As for the car, it's amazing. Only a few will buy one, but those who do will have the best RTR car ever made in my opinion.

Not sure how they can make money off this one though apart from 100mph means crashes. At that speed you're going to need lots of rather expensive spare parts. :P

Mentions some rather disturbing facts about this vehicle, including the neccesity to "unlock" this car for 100 MPH using an Apple Device!!! :sly:

That sucks big time

what a joke, disappointed aint the word. I don't own anything from apple and never will so this is a total flop for me lol

This is awesome.

Looks like a lot of parts are based off the Slash 4x4. I can see some nice offroad conversions :P oh and I'll have those high velocity driveshafts too please. :P:D Only reason I'm excited to get my mits on, can't be having any of this onroad nonsense! :P

First thing I thought when I saw those driveshafts :lol:

Looks like a great car, but I'm not keen on the ties to Apple products, and the possibilities of people hurting themselves with that kind of speed. I suppose that the fact it has to be unlocked is a good feature, and I would like to see how they've limited it. I also want to know how they've got a speed readout for the telemetry.

People are getting well worked up over the 100mph / iPhone thing, it's not going to be the case, stop sweating. :lol: I bet you can do it by PC easy.

and yeah it uses a few parts off other models, like the Rusty/Stampede A-Arms but it's got different hubs, their site keeps crashing from the traffic so can't check lol but I think it uses bigger bearings, so the driveshafts may not work in the Slash unless they can be adapted.

Looks nice, but for those after an offroad version I don't see it reaching "100mph". The main advantage in this is the amount of effort they have put into the floor to increase the aero. By effectively sealing the chassis they have stopped the air from being able to get in and lifting up the shell causing instability. Will be interesting to see how they cool the electronics as everything looks pretty tight in there, and there aren't any holes in the shell.

As for the Apple thing, a lot of you know my feeling on them :whistling: Traxxas have shot themselves in the foot by limiting it just to people who own Apple products. They could have easily installed a normal usb port to cater for android/winmo phones and Apple people could have used an adapter. Or perhaps an even better idea would have been to use bluetooth, then there's no need for any connectors, there's no license fee to pay Apple for the proprietary connector and the TX could look like a TX rather than an iPod dock.

Whilst some of the parts might be usable for an offroad platform, don't expect a 100mph+ RTR offroader any time soon! There is a very good reason for all those aerodynamic parts - to have any semblance of control the car will need them. Thats why this is an on-roader - it simply can't be done otherwise. Yes, you could make an offroader that fast (just add more power!) but the result will be really hard to drive.

In theory this car is something I can walk into a modelshop, slap down a grand and walk out with. OK, so now I need an iphone to unlock it, but then again if you've got a G to blow on an onroader you can't even race and need an airfield to use, getting an iphone or ipod touch is hardly a bind! Either way, a complete and total novice could be driving this, so I expect Traxxas have made it as tame to drive as a 100mph monster can be.