• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

THE E-Firestorm Thread

23 hours ago, jjh23 said:

Hi guys, new servo time for our firestorm, what's everyone using?

prefably available in the UK and maybe waterproof but doesn't matter to much

SRT DL5015

https://www.insidelinemodels.com/inside-line-shop/servos/srt-servos/srt-dl5015-lv-digital-servo-15kg-0-13-sec-6v-semi-alloy-case-waterproof-p

10 hours ago, jjh23 said:

Thanks, looks like a goodun, not heard of the shop, is it any good?

Yeah it's where I've bought my SRT servos from, never had a single issue with the product or the shop.

I would recommend a power hd LF-13. 

Its 13kg of torque which is plenty for a 2wd 1/10 scale. And 0.13 sec speed which again is decent. It’s £28.99

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/power-hd-lf13-metal-geared-servo/rc-car-products/388579

I’ve had the power hd LW20 before and it was good for the money. 

In Need of Help Please... Damaged the front bulkhead over a year ago and now can't remember how to assemble the steering components from the servo to the rack. Any chance somebody can post a picture or diagram, I can't figure it out from the exploded view from HPI.

Many thanks in advance, and apologies if this has been put on the thread before.

;-)

On 19/02/2012 at 23:03, J450n said:

Hi MattB+

Turn firestorms upside down, turn wheels left

see the little screw?

take it out, put on a drop of blue threadlock and tighten up, just snugg.

turn wheels right and repeat process.

Turn firestorm right way up.

Remove left wheel,

see the bolt in the top of the carrier? snug it, theres one in the bottom to, snug it.

replace wheel.

remove right wheel.

repeat process.

these last four bolts will need doing after every bash.

tighter steering :thumbsup:

HTH

Jason

=======================================================================================

UPDATE:

Was out today, when the firestorm cartwheeled and it wouldnt steer properly one way, and I new straight away it was related to the above post. I turned the car upside down and sure enuff the Bolt was missing.....

Well only the screw head was missing, it had snapped of and left the thread in part no 5 from stalk 100320 (servo saver set), luckily I had a spare one just in (cheers dave), But I did'nt have a Bolt, Then I saw the Bolt and nut for for the rear wing which is no longer used, This bolt fitted just right and I was able to do a field repair and carry on playing. I dont know what caused the bolt to snap, but it's good practice to keep the above spares in your parts tub. Theres plenty of room in the firestorm steering area, so when i've had a Brew, I'm gonna see if I can modify both the bolt's with longer equivelants and a pair of speed nuts thread locked in place, or maybe a single locking nut.

Update 2:

I got the callipers out and measured up and it's going to be:

2 x M3 16mm Button head screws

6 x M3 washers

2 x M3 Locking nuts

use threadlock Tighten the nuts down to just before they bind the steering.(dont overtighten the car wont steer)

Couldn't get out this weekend to field test, so will post back next week.

Update 3:

M3 16mm screws are two long, (Choice was 12mm, too short, 16mm too long), so remove exess with a dremmel, I stripped the steering down to oil it, Bolted the steeriing saver together Like this

Screw/ washer/ servo saver/ Washer/ Arm/ washer/ Locking nut.

and the dremeled the excess thread off level with the nut.

steeringstuf.jpg

Sorry about grainy picture, it's a snugg fit, but had no problems with the nut catching on the upper brace.

I did try a speed nut, (half thickness) with thread lock, but this too worked loose.

Finally had a days bashing and the steering didn't fail.

Any chance you can send some images of the set up. I have to rebuild the server savers and rack and can't remember what it looked like when complete?!? ?‍♂️

• 2 months later...
Forgive the ignorance but I assume the E Firestorm and the E Firestorm Flux are two different beasts? Is it only the Flux that's worth the buy ?
Personally if I were buying again I'd go straight for the Flux. I upgraded my brushed model myself to a Hobbywing Brushless combo and the difference is night and day.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Can anyone tell me where to get a spur gear from? No where seems to stock them not even on eBay??

also I bought the alturn ‘high speed’ servo recommended on this thread for my firestorm and was amazed at how ridiculously slow it is!? The sf1 is better! Sending back after about 30 secs in the model with the wheels off the ground!

10 minutes ago, Smithy111 said:

Can anyone tell me where to get a spur gear from? No where seems to stock them not even on eBay??

also I bought the alturn ‘high speed’ servo recommended on this thread for my firestorm and was amazed at how ridiculously slow it is!? The sf1 is better! Sending back after about 30 secs in the model with the wheels off the ground!

Spur gears are out of stock pretty much globally. You will find it very hard to get one. 

Did you not look at the specs for the servo?

There are better servos available. I would look at a JX servo from banggood.com

Look for one that is at least 0.12 sec or faster. 

I have a JX servo that's 23kg and 0.10 speed which is very good although it is one of their more expensive models (~£50)

I’m going to modify an associated b4 spur and slipper as I thought that might be the case. The servo specs seemed good unless I’ve got a lemon? I’ve used an old hispec 965mg which goes lock to lock as quick as I can turn the controller steering!

4 hours ago, Smithy111 said:

I’m going to modify an associated b4 spur and slipper as I thought that might be the case. The servo specs seemed good unless I’ve got a lemon? I’ve used an old hispec 965mg which goes lock to lock as quick as I can turn the controller steering!

HPI haven’t been doing well financially for a while now. 

There does seem seem to be some hope though...

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sounds like it could be coming from inside the gearbox rather than the spur gear itself. I'd open it up and have a look. Could also be the diff outdrive cups have worn so the dogbones move around more

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon All,

Well it's been a while since taking our three Firestorms out but the current lock down seemed like a perfect excuse. I'm running a fantastic Hobbywing brushless Combo in my own Firestorm but the last time we used the cars the stock 15T Firebolt brushed motors in both my boy's cars burned out. I put it down to a combo of 2S Lipos and long wet grass.

So I originally planned to upgrade them both to a couple of Gool RC Brushless Combos. But as they show little interest in the cars and the brushed motors are still pretty quick and cheap as chips I thought I'd wet their appetite with some replacement 15T Firebolts from Modelsport.

I changed the motors over last night and charged the Lipos this morning. 15 minutes in and both cars slowed to a crawl. I figured the 2S Lipos were discharged but on checking they were both still 7.6V. I then realised the motors were bloody hot to the touch and the pastic rotors  (are these for cooling?) inside had melted and broken up. One of which was completely missing.

Now I know some would advise that Lipos and brushed motors are not a good mix. But these cars come with 8.4V nimh packs included. And the ESCs are Lipo compatible. So for me Lipos on these motors shouldn't be an issue. I understand the motors will wear quicker on Lipos but these lasted about 15 minutes!!?? The original motors didn't break up like this and the plastics are still intact. We were only out the front of our house on block paving.

Have I done something wrong? I read plenty before buying thee motors just to check brushed motors can be run with Lipos.  I couldn't see an issue. 15 minutes is a joke surely!?

Can anyone recommend any better brushed motors then the stock Firebolts?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20200404_133433.jpg

IMG_20200404_133153.jpg

IMG_20200404_133221.jpg

Edited by BoutTime
Spelling

Returning to RC and bashing my E-firestorm but am finding out that this model is now discontinued - wondering where you guys get your replacement parts from these days ? 

Looking for :

Spur Gears

Diff shafts 

Rear axle 

Cheers

Lisa

On 04/04/2020 at 16:31, BoutTime said:

Good afternoon All,

Well it's been a while since taking our three Firestorms out but the current lock down seemed like a perfect excuse. I'm running a fantastic Hobbywing brushless Combo in my own Firestorm but the last time we used the cars the stock 15T Firebolt brushed motors in both my boy's cars burned out. I put it down to a combo of 2S Lipos and long wet grass.

So I originally planned to upgrade them both to a couple of Gool RC Brushless Combos. But as they show little interest in the cars and the brushed motors are still pretty quick and cheap as chips I thought I'd wet their appetite with some replacement 15T Firebolts from Modelsport.

I changed the motors over last night and charged the Lipos this morning. 15 minutes in and both cars slowed to a crawl. I figured the 2S Lipos were discharged but on checking they were both still 7.6V. I then realised the motors were bloody hot to the touch and the pastic rotors  (are these for cooling?) inside had melted and broken up. One of which was completely missing.

Now I know some would advise that Lipos and brushed motors are not a good mix. But these cars come with 8.4V nimh packs included. And the ESCs are Lipo compatible. So for me Lipos on these motors shouldn't be an issue. I understand the motors will wear quicker on Lipos but these lasted about 15 minutes!!?? The original motors didn't break up like this and the plastics are still intact. We were only out the front of our house on block paving.

Have I done something wrong? I read plenty before buying thee motors just to check brushed motors can be run with Lipos.  I couldn't see an issue. 15 minutes is a joke surely!?

Can anyone recommend any better brushed motors then the stock Firebolts?

Thanks in advance.

Could have got a rock stuck in the motor which broke the fan. I don't think the lipo would have been the issue. 

Brush motors are much less efficient than brushless motors as well and even less efficient if they are running too hot so that could explain the short run time. I would get a brushless system, if you do want to stick to brushed motors then you might want to check they the temperature every 5 mins or run in a grass area rather than stones. 

You could get a better brushed motor, but tbh brushless systems are so cheap and last so much long I don't really think it's a good investment. Even if your boys lose interest, a brushless firestorm will be worth more than a brushed when you sell it. 

2 hours ago, Mini the minx said:

Returning to RC and bashing my E-firestorm but am finding out that this model is now discontinued - wondering where you guys get your replacement parts from these days ? 

Looking for :

Spur Gears

Diff shafts 

Rear axle 

Cheers

Lisa

Try the states, with HPI pretty much gone you won't get any new parts being made. I've heard that their planning on coming back however who knows if they'll make spares for the Firestorm again. 

Agh that's abit sh!t about HPI, what happened ? They were one of the big players back when I was heavily into RC.

Thank you for pointing to the states I'll go googling. 

My car has RPM arms and T-Bone bumpers so hopefully they'll last but the consumable parts are worn and need replacing ideally. 

Cheers guys 👍

I previously bought a few ecx spur gears, maybe the ruckus or something similar can't remember but they fit the fs, if you can get the slipper pads/plates for the same spur then that helps but if I'm honest mines pretty much locked so not too much of an issue

Iirc ECX 1:10 Stadium Truck Spur Gear - 87T

PART NUMBER: ECX1076

But check I think

Rest of the stuff I can't really help, haven't changed mine in a long while but maybe ebay could have some

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

On 07/04/2020 at 18:59, Jumper said:

Could have got a rock stuck in the motor which broke the fan. I don't think the lipo would have been the issue. 

Brush motors are much less efficient than brushless motors as well and even less efficient if they are running too hot so that could explain the short run time. I would get a brushless system, if you do want to stick to brushed motors then you might want to check they the temperature every 5 mins or run in a grass area rather than stones. 

You could get a better brushed motor, but tbh brushless systems are so cheap and last so much long I don't really think it's a good investment. Even if your boys lose interest, a brushless firestorm will be worth more than a brushed when you sell it. 

This happened to both motors freshly installed on two different cars. No stones, just block paving. I’ve already upgraded my own to brushless so I appreciate the benefits. But I expected more than 15 minutes from these motors. Cheers.