• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

THE E-Firestorm Thread

Interesting idea. I did notice that it's a long way away from sealed when the bolts are done up!

Do you mean all the way around? Or is there a particular side of it more susceptible to dirt getting in? (I ask because of you calling it a 'hinge' - makes me think only on one side.)

I just got my Firestorm :D and have been tearing up the dewy/wet grass! I managed to get it all out with a bit of mud behind. So my question is, after this kind of drive, what kind of maintenance would you do? Furthermore, the manual says grease up the drive shafts every 10 packs... what grease do you guys use please?

Finally, mine doesn't seem to wheelie unless throttle is punched hard (3/4 throttle) is this to do with the setup of the slipper clutch?

Thanks

Jim

I've just been out with my Firestorm on some gravel for 1 or 2 minutes, max. Suddenly the car stopped responding then, poof and masses of smoke started pouring out. I thought it must be a lipo fire but on ripping the body off found an ESC fire. :-( My truck is totally stock and I've only had it a few weeks.

I have a couple of questions, 1, what could have caused it and 2, will it be covered under warranty?

The battery is totally fine, balanced and has just finished charging.

Well that is good news. Any ideas what causes them to fail? I was running a 3S. Nothing was hot, it was on gravel and even the motor was barely warm. Quite strange.

Do people run with the spring in the differential or without? Between the spider gears.

Seems I'm running without. Cant remember why, but have it in a spares box.

I think I tried very thick diff oil, but not much left, so must have leaked. Is car grease such as that used for bearings OK to use?

While ordering a battery, I stuck these on the order, just on the off chance:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/fastrax-body-pin-holders-body-protectors-medium-4-/rc-car-products/35185

I was most interested in having something to make the pins easier to push on and pull off, but thought having something to protect the mounting points wouldn't be a bad thing.

Anyway, now they've come, I realise they're slightly different to what I thought. The 'washer' bit also goes through the mounting hole, to protect both sides.

This means I now have two choices:

1) Bore out my mounting points by a couple of mm, so they will fit the washer and the post through (have already tried them as they are, and while I can get the washer in place, the post won't then fit.)

2) Just cut off the lead and washer, and use them as a simple tag.

What would you do? And if I go for 1, can anyone advise on the easiest (and least likely to ruin my bodyshell) way of widening the holes?

Tell me about it mate, Well if you get a chance i look forward to seeing the results.

Yeah defo get a 3s when you can ;).

Thanks.

So took the truck to work today and the speed gun, managed to hit 37mph on rough ground with a 2s, i was gonna get a 3s but i had to get a pair of tyres for my Clio 182 as officer dibble was getting upset with my lack of tread, if the field outside drys out i can try on smooth short grass and see what it gets, i'll also order a 3s once i find one and get paid next week

So my new battery is one of those with a separate lead, which plugs into the top of the battery. This one:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/overlander-sport-track-hard-case-7.4v-6500mah-25c-lipo/rc-car-products/39764

In the car, the battery cover fouls the balance cable when it's plugged into that central socket. Is there any problem with me just not plugging it in to avoid this problem? I'm pretty sure it's only relevant when plugged into the charger - but better safe than sorry, so I thought I'd ask!