• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Diff munching....

HairyEyeBall

Hey guys,

does anyone have any idea why the internals of the front diff on my brushless e-maxx would have been munched up??

All seemed fine a few days ago when I was running it over the park.

I noticed one wheel was spinning on its own when I was giving it a clean up today so stripped it down and half the teeth had been chewed up inside the diff (the two parts in the middle of this pic)

I wasnt running it overly hard, didnt crash and didnt do any jumps as such. It was a little bit muddy / boggy though.....

The batteries I had in the last it ran were 2 x 2S lipos and the gearing is 68/17 if thats any help.

Cheers,

Trevor

I chewed one up recently but it was a diff from a 3906 and I was running 6s :) So was expecting it to go. Replaced it with a diff from your model the 3908.

I did do some reading though and the standard cause is flexing of the diff cup under extreme load. That normally only seems to happen on 6s though so surprised to hear you had an issue running 2 x 4s.

FLM do a metal cup and then there are metal diff cases too that apparently address the issue of stripped gears but I think you have just been unlucky, especially if you are just running 4s......

My e-revo runs the same diffs, I run it exclusively on 6s, have bashed it very hard, taken it off some big jumps and have jammed the throttle on landing many, many times.

So I wouldn't fork out on FLM cups or any upgrades yet I would just replace the damaged internals or buy a new diff if its cheaper, I got mine from the US for

how old is the diff?????

its only few months old

I chewed one up recently but it was a diff from a 3906 and I was running 6s :) So was expecting it to go. Replaced it with a diff from your model the 3908.

I did do some reading though and the standard cause is flexing of the diff cup under extreme load. That normally only seems to happen on 6s though so surprised to hear you had an issue running 2 x 4s.

FLM do a metal cup and then there are metal diff cases too that apparently address the issue of stripped gears but I think you have just been unlucky, especially if you are just running 4s......

My e-revo runs the same diffs, I run it exclusively on 6s, have bashed it very hard, taken it off some big jumps and have jammed the throttle on landing many, many times.

So I wouldn't fork out on FLM cups or any upgrades yet I would just replace the damaged internals or buy a new diff if its cheaper, I got mine from the US for

Check the paperwork, but I think the default is auto cell count, but don't quote me on that. If it is on auto, you'll here it count the number of cells right after the first multi-tone when you switch on.

Hi.I was eating diffs in the MMM'd summit,I had to sacrifice wheelies for tranny longevity ( tranny,always makes me smile).I loosened the slipper a little :)

Check the paperwork, but I think the default is auto cell count, but don't quote me on that. If it is on auto, you'll here it count the number of cells right after the first multi-tone when you switch on.

had a look and yeah auto is the default

Hi.I was eating diffs in the MMM'd summit,I had to sacrifice wheelies for tranny longevity ( tranny,always makes me smile).I loosened the slipper a little :)

ok cool, i'll give that a whirl to. i'd like to keep my tranny intact for as long as possible lol

cheers chaps

The default puch setting is at the highest (must be level 5 or 6). Drop this by a couple at least and you will be kinder to your trany.

Mine is set on the second lowest and it will still do wheelies on grass with 6S.