• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

DreXeL's 1:8 Hyper SC project.

Ok, I wanted to get my teeth into a new project, I fancied a SC and BEZ's awesome 1:8 build inspired me to do something along similar lines. So with a heavy heart I put my Muggy up for sale to help fund the project. I decided to base it on a Hyper ST chassis, with Hyper 7 arms. I decided on the Hyper as parts are cheap and plentiful, and it's legendary toughness. Electrics wise, for now I'll be recycling what I was running in the Muggy, a 1600kv Leopard 4082 and Turnigy Trackstar 150a ESC, running on 5s.

I managed to pick up a complete Hyper ST rolling chassis for very reasonable money:

DSCF2004Medium-1.jpg

DSCF2006Medium.jpg

Yes, an ST Pro would have been better but I was finding complete rolling chassis' hard to come by and this came up for a great price and it has had very little use. I'll just see how it goes and stick to the 'upgrade when it breaks' ethos. I also bought some brand new Hyper 7 arms and CVDs (only two CVDs arrived despite ordering four, the other two are on their way):

DSCF2009Medium.jpg

And the last Ansmann conversion kit in stock anywhere in the UK :D :

DSCF2007Medium.jpg

I installed the arms, the lowers fitted like a glove but the uppers had a large gap on the hinge pin:

DSCF2013Medium.jpg

I simply used a piece of fuel tube as a spacer:

DSCF2014Medium.jpg

Works well with no binding :)

After that I installed the conversion kit and electrics, and here's how it looks now:

DSCF2016Medium.jpg

I'm currently trying to source a 46t spur gear as the Ansmann motor mount only allows a 15t pinion with the stock 52t spur, and that will be under geared. The wheelbase and track are perfect for an SC8 shell, so I have one on the way along with some SC8 KMC wheels with red beadlocks, they should look great with the colour scheme I have in mind :)

I'm also waiting for some Hyper 7 steering turnbuckles, and I haven't decided what I'm doing about bumpers yet, I'd like to go with SC8 bumpers to look more 'scale' but t-bones would obviously be a better option for strength.

Can't wait to get it finished and see what it can do :)

Edited by DreXeL

There would be nothing to tap into, to cut it short enough would take it into the 'A' part of the upper arm. Metal bushings are a better option yes, but there is very little movement anyway even without the fuel tube, so it will do for now. I will change it for some metal bushes when I can find something suitable though.

Bodyshell arrived today. I cut it out and tried it for size (temporary wheels until the SC8 ones arrive):

DSCF2001Medium-1.jpg

DSCF2002Medium-1.jpg

DSCF2003Medium-1.jpg

Absolutely perfect fit, width wise and length wise :good:

I also installed the steering turnbuckles so I could give it a little shakedown run. Couple of things are obvious from the short run I did outside my house: It is undergeared, as predicted, and it is spinning a LOT of power away through the front wheels. I have a 47t spur on the way which I will mate to an 18t pinion, this should get the gearing somewhere close to where I want it. I will probably just lock the centre diff to help cure the power loss through the front wheels. I can already tell it's going to be a whole heap of fun though, the chassis is so responsive and controllable lift-off oversteer is the order of the day :D Really pleased so far though :)

I have begun painting the shell too :)

Edited by DreXeL

Finished painting the shell and applied the decals. I've got to say I'm REALLY happy with the way this has turned out, the gunmetal against the black with the red stripe really work well:

DSCF20102Medium.jpg

DSCF2008Medium.jpg

DSCF2005Medium-1.jpg

DSCF20042Medium.jpg

No pics of it on the chassis yet, you'll have to wait until the wheels have turned up ;) They should look great, they are black with red beadlocks and should pick up the colour scheme nicely :)

Edited by DreXeL

i may take them off your hands if the price is right ;)

i want to do the exact opposite of you and make a hyper 7 wider, so it has sort of a square wheelbase. i guess sort of like a shorty truggy buggy thing :xd:

• Like 1

Haha, we should have just swapped lol. PM me an offer mate, the rears are dogbones and the fronts are CVDs :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, time for an update. I decided to take a punt on fitting an SC8 rear bumper (plus mounts), I'm glad I did, as it was pretty straight forward to install. The bottom part of the mount picks up on the ARB mount bolts of the Hyper diff case:

DSCF2014Medium-1.jpg

At the top, I used some long bolts and a Savage pin brace that I had lying around:

DSCF2015Medium.jpg

DSCF2016Medium-1.jpg

Up front, I fitted a cut 'n' shut savage skid plate, I will probably go for a T-bone but this should give at least some protection for now:

DSCF2017Medium.jpg

I also installed some Slash nerf bars:

DSCF2019Medium.jpg

I gave the shell the good old fibre tape and shoe-goo treatment, unfortunately I didn't buy enough fibre tape so used gorilla tape for the remainder, then covered it all with a layer of shoe-goo:

DSCF2020Medium.jpg

I have also fitted the 46t spur gear and 18t pinion, from the limited quick shakedown I have given it up and down my road the gearing is much better, and motor temps are great. I can probably go to a 22t pinion to be honest. In the mean time, the SC8 wheels/tyres that I ordered from the states STILL hadn't turned up, and Apex had gotten then in stock, so as impatient as I am I ordered some SC8 wheels and ProLine Trencher SC tyres, I'll just sell the other ones on when they eventually turn up. The wheels look great with the shell, I had to dial in some pretty extreme camber to get the tyres to fit under the arches, especially at the front, but this is a basher not a racer so I'm not bothered about it being the last word in handling. Besides, it gives it stance, y0 ;)

So it's 99% finished for now, here are some fairly crappy pics I took today after fitting the wheels/tyres, I'm taking it for a proper shakedown tomorrow so I'll get some better pics then (ignore the gorilla tape mudguards, proper rubber ones will be going on soon):

DSCF2021Medium.jpg

DSCF2022Medium.jpg

DSCF2023Medium.jpg

DSCF2024Medium.jpg

DSCF2027Medium.jpg

DSCF2029Medium.jpg

:)

Edited by DreXeL

So I just took it for a session on my local bashing spot, which is basically a huge area of loose gravel, and I'm absolutely over the moon with it. It handles really nicely, loads of drifty oversteer :D It is a little 'twitchy' but that's probably because I'm used to my Savage lol. I may use the exponential option on my Speccy, I've never used it before but I think this will benefit from it. It is plenty quick too, but does still feel a tad under geared, motor/esc/batt temps were great so I think I could safely go up to a 22t pinion.

Really happy though, it is sooo much fun to drive :)

IMAG0335Medium.jpg

I've put a few more new pics and a vid in this thread:

http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/152201-some-pics-and-a-quick-vid-of-my-18-hyper-sc-project/