• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

MICKSID - Traxxas Slash 4x4 to BackSlash Build Thread

micksid

Just thought i would share with you by backslash conversion,

i bought this slash 4x4 off DomCharlton off the forum, planning on keeping it as a short course truck, but being me i couldnt resist modifying, so after some research and debating i tought i would convert it to a backslash

so below are some pictures of the build process, please bear in mind i only received this 3 days ago :)

Before it arrived i had already purchased a few goodies

c2e90006.jpg

2 minutes after the happy post man delivered it

7ff2db67.jpg

bf9ddac2.jpg

The strip down begins with help from my son

f3af810f.jpg##

a5371b7f.jpg

And while im stripping down i have some rit dye boiling on the stove for the chassis and wishbones.

d2cb9808.jpg

and the outcome which i was very happy with

d90e64ba.jpg

And the slash built up and the attempt at improving the damaged drive shaft... and new shock towers fitted, new metal gear high torque servo fitted

7819df9b.jpg

Then it was electronics time, i like my wireing to be neat and stealth looking, i have my tekin rs pro fitted with 2.5t tekin redline, and of course a tekin battery

3f438e7f.jpg

30875f65-1.jpg

This is where i decided i needed to modify it more, so it was backslash conversion time

so my first mod was to strip the parts off i didnt require, nerf bars, body posts, bumpers.

next i trimmed the back bumper down to keep the wishbone pics in location, also fitted my traxxas stampede front bumper to the rpm slash bumper.

will have to get some more pics of this.

so off i went and started ordering my parts, first was the rear wing, problem i had was that ive now got aluminium shock towers so i wanted them to bolt direct to that rather than cutting bits of plastic/lexan out. so here is what i came up with

4affda38.jpg

11f5b435.jpg

holes drilled

aea37aca.jpg

and test mounted

2b5f3289.jpg

all bolted up,

1776c51a.jpg

339af291.jpg

this is very sturdy and strong.!!!!!

f8c9fffe.jpg

starting too look more like a buggy now, here is it sat next to my inferno 1/8th nitro buggy roller, exactly them same size, but i can run a 1/10th brusless system in the slash :)

16e084cd.jpg

2f83a892.jpg

and just some more random pictures, as you can see also modifed the standard rear bumper so i can still run roll bars :)

8854738d.jpg

New driveshaft, driveshaft cover, pinion cover fitted also

962b67a3.jpg

6aeafac9.jpg

And thats it for now, i have just ordered my 17mm traxxas hex adaptors from america as they was

Thanks everyone. Had to swap the tekin out for my novak gtb. So just waiting on some heat shrink coming to tidy the wires then ill get some more pictures up.

Just getting a shopping list together for body shell and wheels, maybe a novak 5.5 :)

Just waiting on my 17mm afaptors coming from america.

Well thought i would post a few updates ive made to the backslash

still havent chosen my wheels yet, and im still waiting on my 17mm hex adaptors arriving from america.

i have spent hours looking a customising the width of the slash, useing wider wishbones etc. proline havent released there pro trac wide wishbones out yet, there due any day i believe, i have found some aluminium extended wishbones from rc solutions but didnt really wanna use aluminium wishbones. i then looked at the pro trac kit for the rustler and stampede as the arms are the same, but the kit is now discontinued so i got no further with that.

anyways on to the recent mods.

firstly i had to remove the tekin as it was glitching ever so slightly and it was starting to annoy me, so i fitted my noval gtb with 10.5t motor, but then i seen a 5.5t on ebay and couldnt resist, so just waiting for that to turn up by mr post man,

so i went a head and mounted the GTB, but it kept unsticking its self, so i came up with a trust tie wrap tie down thingy. people out there who know there traxxas have probably noticed ive used the stampede esc mount. i used a few plastic washer to raise it up ever so slightly off the chassis so i could hide the GTB wires under it trying to keep it as neat as possible, also shrink wrapped the cables black

839638ee.jpg

6297df5d.jpg

e10f6749.jpg

the power cap is doing my head in need to locate it somewhere better but the wires are tight

88a3db9e.jpg

the next thing i decided to do was to make a front shock tower protecter for when the car flips over it doesnt ruin my shinny aluminium, so i used one of the old nerf bars and came up with this

38d77275.jpg

3f773e4a.jpg

d4ad9177.jpg

not picked my shell yet, but think i am going for the hpi vb-1 flux shell,so with the bits i had left i thought i would mock up some body mounts, so using the old body mounts i reversed them and mounted them to the stock holes on the slash chassis, still need to trim the edges but going to wait to see how the body fits, the lugs are also from the stock slash mount.

1ee75a82.jpg

aece4380.jpg

cfceda92.jpg

The next biggish job i did was to reverse the rear shocks, i noticed that on my 1/8th nitro the shocks was mounted at the back of with wishbone rather than the front, so i just flipped one side the other and i had to move the track rod to the other side of the shock tower and move it out a hole, due to it catching on the spring when fully compressed.

stock position

6aeafac9.jpg

962b67a3.jpg

8854738d.jpg

fcfcac25.jpg

and the new nitro position :), this mod will also give me more room for the body to fit correctly (hopefully)

b82be56c.jpg

c734773c.jpg

89b0a6f0.jpg

a few other little things i have done it fit fuel tubing to the driveshaft to take up the slop which is on the slash 4x4, but still allowing for the chassis to flex. p.s. you also notice my new driveshaft cover fits over the slipper nut :)

54d4d6d4.jpg

and also fitted some shrink tubing and electrical tape to fill the drivehaft hole a bit, to stop rocks damaging my new driveshaft and driveshaft cover

501e6382.jpg

thats it for now, hopefully next time i post i will have the 5.5 motor, body and HOPEFULLY some wheels :) and i can finally test the backslash.

Looks very good mate glad your enjoying it!

You would not believe how close i came to converting it but i have two buggies already, doubt it would have looked as nice as this though. ;)

You did find some use for the nerf bars in the end then. :xd:

Running video needed! :D

Edited by domcharlton

Cheers dom

Ive not actually run it yet. Only around

My front room to test the steering.

Just ordered my wheels &tyres, ordered body shell this morning. Still waiting on the motor and 17mm hex coming

Chose a theme for the shell? Nothing special but will match the wheels and bodyshell. Will get some pics up over the weekend

Hopefully next week some time i can go and run it. And scratch/damage all the hard graft ive done one it lol

You better watch your tempts on a 5.5t 540 motor in a slash really you need something more torquey, Castle 4 poles work nicely on 2s or 3s. :)

Or a 550 over geared.

Edited by domcharlton

Yeah. Going to run it and see what happens. Never had a off road brushless buggy before. Only ever raced 1/10th touring brushless. So its all new to me.

Ill see what i blow up then ill replace it :). Might have to put some cooling vents in the bodyshell then :)

Xerun and Ezrun are fantastic go for them!

Something like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hobbywing-EZRun-SC8-120A-ESC-1-8-4WD-TRAXXAS-1-10-Short-Course-Truck-Buggy-/180730565521?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a14619391#ht_5391wt_954

Generally come in a week or less. :) (Depends on seller rcmodelnet is very fast)

I meant the 5200kv. :D

If i do ever end up converting my crt.5 reckon ill go for tenshock and sc8 didn't realise how cheap they were! Much chance of customs trouble?

Edited by domcharlton