• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tectics Diablo project

tectic

No building over the last few days

So back to it today!

Todays aim is wheels and tyres.

The wheels i am using are SPI Racing Saber aluminium wheels.

The tyres are Proline Badlands MT tyres.

Tyre glue is AKA premium glue.

Wheel balancing putty is GMK Sticky black stuff.

Firstly the wheel inserts were removed and put to one side then the wheel was turned inside out.

I then used Isopropyl Alcohol to clean any release agent from the inside of the tyres.

cimg6263.jpg

The tyre inserts were the installed into the inside out tyre for a supported tyre to apply the Gorilla tape.

cimg6264f.jpg

The gorilla tape was then laid out along my workbench still on the roll and the tyre was rolled along the tape.

I find if you use one hand to keep some tension on the tape as you roll the tyre you will get a nice flat wrap.

cimg6268.jpg

i wrapped the tyres with 2 wraps of gorilla tape.

cimg6267w.jpg

The tyres were then turned back the right way and the inserts re installed.

Next the bead channels of the wheels were ruffed up using a Dremel tool, then the beads weer cleaned with Isopropyl Alcohol.

cimg6270.jpg

Once the beads on the wheel were all roughed up the tyre beads were then cleaned with Isopropyl Alcohol.

Next the rear sides of the tyres were glued one at a time with the AKA tyre glue.

After 1 hour the fronts of the tyres were glued.

after another hour walking the dog the tyres were ready for balancing.

i use a Hudy wheel balancer with a 12mm to 17mm wheel widener and adaptor.

The wheel were spun untill the heavy spot settled the the tyre putty was applied untill the tyres were all balanced.

cimg6276.jpg

cimg6277.jpg

Job done 4 new wheels and tyres ready to go!!

Edited by tectic

theirs nothing that isnt professional looking here i can assure you his work shop is far too clean for my liking and everything is neat, my place looks a state in comparison lol. Popped over today and tectic got me sorted with parts for my revo which is now ready to go and also a drive shaft for my summit so when my battery is charged it may be a night test for the summit in the garden haha

I should be back on with the build in a couple of days, I have had loads of commitments lately

im almost finished the ESC and motor mounting so will post it up soon.

also front and rear end nearly finished ready to install on the chassis.

Finally managed to get some spare time for more project time.

This time is the ESC installation.

I started out to build a mount for the ESC..

For this i used more of the leftover Carbon fiber sheet which was measured and cut oversize to the Tekin mounting template.

cimg6279l.jpg

Next four mounting holes were drilled into the sheet then the mounting template was glued into position and the ESC mounting holes were drilled.

cimg6281ep.jpg

The ESC was then mounted to the carbon fiber plate and the ESC and Motor was then test mounted for best mounting position.

cimg6282.jpg

Now to the soldering the wires were soldered at a 90deg angle this was chosen over straight up for purposes which will become apparent later on in the project.

I tinned the wires then crushed the ends whilst still hot to flatten the wires to allow them to slot into the pre tinned ESC posts.

cimg6289.jpg

The solder posts were then covered with the appropriate heatshrink and the wires were covered with Century flexible lead wrap

Next the wires for the power leads were soldered into a short section to a 7mm bullet connector and the double battery wires added to the other sides of the bullets.

cimg6306.jpg

The ESC was then mounted to the mounting plate -005 O-rings were used between the mounting bolts and the ESC and chassis to give a spacer and vibration damper.

The plate was mounted to the chassis by drilling under size holes and letting the mounting screw cut its own thread.

cimg6307y.jpg

The back was then removed from the motor to allow easier soldering and the wires were cut to the appropriate length and soldered to the motor.

The wire were finish heatshrinked and a new toggle switch was installed into the front air dam for the ESC on off switch.

Then the sensor lead was installed and an upgraded fan was installed to the ESC.

The ESC and motor installation finished and awaiting the new Lipos to solder the battery leads to length.

cimg6309.jpg

cimg6310e.jpg

cimg6313.jpg

cimg6314.jpg

Next to get on with the front and rear suspension sets.

FAR to neat fella. but that does look blody fantastic cant wait til your done, my bl revo is slowly getting their im having to spend as funds allow haha. will be great to get together with our rigs and do a nice little photo shoot haha

2 summits

2 brushed revos

2 brushless revos

Its a traxxas orgy!

Managed to get a bit of spare time to do a bit more work to the project.

The Front suspension first i built the RD Racing axle carriers using GH Racing pivot ball caps which have an 0-ring to stop them vibrating off.

Acer ceramic bearings were used for the axles and Hot Racing titanium pillow balls and finished off with Traxxas Dyed dust boots.

cimg6090.jpg

The pillow balls and axle carriers were coated in Finish line dry lube and allowed to dry completley.

all the components were then assembled.

cimg6293.jpg

Next was to install a Hot racing aluminium steering arm mount and a GH Racing steering arm pin mount along with the Traxxas steel drive shafts

cimg6323.jpg

Next installed was a Red anodised front bulkhead tie bar from GPM Racing products, i ordered several parts from then and the had the parts i ordered anodised red for me.

the top tie bars were installed into the bottom mounting position to give me increased roll resistance also the caster was set at maximum 15 degrees to get greater steering response.

cimg6324.jpg

cimg6325.jpg

Then Traxxas aluminium rocker posts were installed along with Traxxas aluminium pushrods which i connected to some Hot Racing front multi mount rocker arms mounted on Acer ceramic bearings.

cimg6327.jpg

cimg6331.jpg

Finally the front suspension was installed onto the chassis making the project start to look like it is coming together.

cimg6333.jpg

Next was to install the front shock mount again red anodised from GPM Racing.

cimg6335.jpg

The shock were then installed.

cimg6338.jpg

cimg6345.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow will see the rear end attatched

Managed to get the rear suspension set done as well today again using a red anodised rear bulkhead tie bar from GPM Racing products and Traxxas adjustable suspension arm set to give me another 10mm of wheelbase.

the tiebars were also installed in the bottom position to give me better roll resistance.

cimg6244copycopy.jpg

Longer drive cups were installed which are for use with the adjustable rear arm set

cimg6245copycopy.jpg

Then the driveshafts and axle carriers were installed then the traxxas pushrods and toe links attatched to the rear Hot racing multi mount rocker arms.

cimg6352copy.jpg

next the GPM racing rear shock mount was installed then the rear suspension fitted to the chassis and the shocks mounted.

cimg6349copy.jpg

cimg6353copy.jpg

cimg6357.jpg

Eventually starting to look like a truck

cimg6355.jpg

cimg6358.jpg

The body mounts have also been installed.

you got any pics then!!

Not yet, at dad's this weekend so its not with me. Reading my post again what I meant to say was that you'll be impressive with this system. It runs so cool! The ESC was cold after 10 mins of hard bashing.

Truly awesome, how much for the truck?

I don,t want to reckon up yet but as i said at the start this is not the cheapest way of building a truck

it took me 6 months to gather the parts

Not yet, at dad's this weekend so its not with me. Reading my post again what I meant to say was that you'll be impressive with this system. It runs so cool! The ESC was cold after 10 mins of hard bashing.

I am looking forward to getting this project on the road

and seeing what it all comes together like