• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

...is 40Mhz better than 27Mhz? or even 2.4ghz?

Virdi

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrading my radio gear.

So I'd like to know what the differences are between 27Mhz and 40Mhz...

Also - What's so good about 2.4Ghz kit?

Thanks

Edited by Virdi

40mhz sends a better quality signal, but 27mhz gives faster response. People use 2.4ghz because u get no glitching, and need no crystals.

ok - Thanks

How about the signal on 2.4Ghz - is it stronger / good quality? Faster etc.?

Thanks

i honestly cant see the point in considering 27/40mhz these days when 2.4 is far faster more responsive and far less hassell no interferance or swaping crystals when someone is on the same freq as you

if you can afford it go for 2.4ghz its the only way to go others just arnt worth consideering if you can afford 2.4

40mhz is faster than 2.4. I Wont go spektrum for a few reasons one they dont make a stick tranny and i cba buying a module or my ko and it slows the response down. plus checking your crystal is part of the fun.

A

True is that,40mhz is faster than both 27mhz and 2.4ghz,I have a Sanwa MX3 and prefer to use that over my DX3 Spectrum,I just prefer the feel of the Sanwa and it's loads better quality,I've got 5 sets of crystals and hardly ever have to swap them cos most people are either on 2.4ghz or 27mhz.The Spectrum systems are good value for money and offer convenience and less glithcing,the Futaba 3PM FAST 2.4ghz system is better than the Spekkies and I went to get one but they were out of stock at the time so a DX3 it was...

The signal with 40mhz is stronger and cleaner than the others in my opinion and is less likely to get obstructive drop outs,however the less glitching and crystal less systems are an attractive buy at the price they go for.I'm planning on getting the Sanwa MX3 FHSS package and sticking with them as the quality is loads better than Spectrum and for the same money,once its done the Spectrum system will be on the old ebay but I'll never get shut of the MX3 40mhz set.The picture below is of the set i'm getting next and is only

also if your looking for the best range then starting with the lowest they go in this order 27mhz, 2.4ghz(spektrum), 40mhz (ppm), 40mhz(pcm),40mhz(hrs) and the best at nearly 1/2 mile is 2.4ghz (fasst).

chris

Here comes the science bit.. lower frequencies tend to be faster because of the frequency.. frequency is measured in "Hz" which translates to "cycles per second" i.e. how many complete ociliating waves form in a second. it's negligable the difference, but 27mhz cycles 27000 times in a second, where 40mhz cycles at 40000 times, so yes, electronically speaking the responce is faster. However, lower frequencies because they are spaced out, they simply tend to pick up outside filth, so higher frequencies tend to be cleaner & less prone to interference, so it's swings & roundabouts as the cleaner -high frequency signal is just as fast as a dirty signal of a lower frequency because the reciever isn't dealing with a load of crap.

Personally i run 27mhz... simple reason, cost. Yes it's a pain with crystals & yes it's a pain sometimes when you get the other side of a big track & the car momentarily goes out of range, or if some nice person is using a CB or has a walkie-talkie or baby alarm which knocks your car out of kilter, however i'm not made of money.. i've 4 or 5 RC vehicles & putting 2.4ghz recievers from a spectrum at

40mhz is faster than 2.4. I Wont go spektrum for a few reasons one they dont make a stick tranny and i cba buying a module or my ko and it slows the response down. plus checking your crystal is part of the fun.

A

DX7 :).

DX6i if you want a cheapo version which is also perfect for cars, and it's lighter and I think more comfortable than my DX7.

Edited by Technex

DX7 :).

DX6i if you want a cheapo version which is also perfect for cars, and it's lighter and I think more comfortable than my DX7.

Why would you want a 6/7ch. system for a car that only uses three at the most? A friend uses the 6Ch. System for his Hilux and has had to make little inserts for the steering so it only moves left to right. the Left stick is used for changing gears.

Edited by Indie

ok.... But to summarise - 2.4Ghz is best though right?

For convenience,yes it is and also less glitching.Most of the top end 40mhz FM sets can take the 2.4ghz modules but cost a lot to buy..... :)

I suppose the big plus is you can in theory have your 2.4 set switched on all day (provided there aren't 70 or 80 people all doing the same thing) & not bother anyone.

It's a bit of a pest when using 27mHz if you are trying to trim up a servo or reprogram an ESC while at trackside between races... you can't do it for fear of upsetting someone or if you do you have to pester the race director to ask permission to use your radio which is wasting valuable tinkering time. Plus if the shoe is on the other foot it's a problem..., i've been mid race (& mid bash) when some little oik has been in his pitting area & decided to take his car for a little test run oblivious of the fact that someone who is on the track at the time is going to be affected while my car does a "Christine" on the back straight.

Edited by mad-wolfie

Why would you want a 6/7ch. system for a car that only uses three at the most? A friend uses the 6Ch. System for his Hilux and has had to make little inserts for the steering so it only moves left to right. the Left stick is used for changing gears.

Well, because they are full range (further than the eye can see every single day because there is no interference, I have had a few people down my field all with DX7 full range powerful transmitters and the 20 or so wireless routers down here and never had a glitch, none of us. They have none of these "problems" which everyone on here seems think 2.4Ghz has and are very nicely made. DX6i is actually less than the ground radio even! (Although I haven't used the DX6i with a car yet, I can't see why not).

I just use the steering on the left and throttle on the spring loaded stick on the right, works fine. Just different if you're not used to it.

They have none of these "problems" which everyone on here seems think 2.4Ghz has

What you mean to say is that,you have'nt had a problem with yours.Its a fact that all 2.4ghz radios can glitch and most people on here are talking specifically about the DX3 or similar,not 6/7 ch Heli radios that are'nt needed.Mines glitched loads of times and not everyone on here is making it up,so to make statements like that is wrong.Whats the point having one going as far as the eye can see when no one hardly ever uses that type of range on a surface model anyway.?

At the end of the day,its horses for courses,i'm lucky to have all freqs and none are supreme over the other in my opinion.As I said,I'm gonna get the Sanwa MX3 FHSS,they're good enough for surface models and better quality than Spectrum.If I was racing,i'd probably go for a Nomadio or Sanwa MX8 or MX11 but just bashing does'nt warrant that kind of outlay.... :)

Let's hope a taxi doesn't come your way, I've seen them knock out some FM TX's.

Why not use a heli 2.4GHz radio with a car? The only problem is the sticks move to far in the wrong directions, if you can't handle that then stop them somehow with a guide.

You can pick up the DX6i cheaper than the ground radios and I've never, ever seen one glitch in person or ever online, only times when the Spektrum air systems go wrong is when the RX voltage drops, which isn't a problem in cars because you notice the servo loose speed first.

Let's hope a taxi doesn't come your way, I've seen them knock out some FM TX's.

Why not use a heli 2.4GHz radio with a car? The only problem is the sticks move to far in the wrong directions, if you can't handle that then stop them somehow with a guide.

You can pick up the DX6i cheaper than the ground radios and I've never, ever seen one glitch in person or ever online, only times when the Spektrum air systems go wrong is when the RX voltage drops, which isn't a problem in cars because you notice the servo loose speed first.

Taxi's don't use 40Mhz to broadcast on :confused: so I don't know how that can happen