• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Law Regarding R/C Cars In Public Places

bildo

I was quite happily driving my T-Maxx 2.5 in a field today, thought it was bloody nice because I had a day off work and the field was absolutely empty.

Eventually someone comes along with a dog and the dog decides to go full sprint after the car. I put the brakes on and bring the car to a stop realising the chances of it doing much damage to the car are slim, and the dog calms down and goes back to his owner.

The owner then comes yelling at me saying I shouldn't be driving it in this field, it's a huge completely public field in the middle of nowhere. Took him about 2 minutes to get to me to complain. I felt I had been nice enough to stop and not irritate his dog yet he felt the need to moan, so I told him I have just as much right to drive this where I want as he has to let his dog run where he wants.

He then started going on about how it's highly illegal to be driving these, and that he's going to call the police. Seemed as though he did because he picked his mobile up, dialed 3 numbers and walked off again. <_<

I left about 20 minutes later when I was ready.

Thing is though, I've never actually looked in to what the law is regarding this, I did a search on the site and I could only come back with that someone was charged £300 for driving in a forest, but I then read that the forest specifically said no r/c cars.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?

Don't know UK-laws, but it would surprise me that there would be a general law prohibiting RC-cars in public places... I can't imagine this specifically being established in a well-defined law...

I also cannot imagine they could fine you for driving in a big open space.

I suppose a little common sense is to be used when driving, as would the police when spotting you I presume. If you're not tearing up a park or making high-speed passes near people walking quietly you should be fine imo.

As far as i know theres no law specifically against RC's but take into considertaion things like noise etc and be courtious if others are around. I cant see why they would complain if you were out of the way in an open space... not like its a built up area...

I am not aware of any general laws. I beleive there are some areas with specific by-laws though such as the forrest you mention. I can understand neighbours getting annoyed if your running nitro's in the street but out in a field!! Apart from a few cheeky kids asking to have a go with my car I haven't had any trouble touch wood. I have met dog owners who have been more than happy for me to wear the dog out with a bit of car chasing action :lol:

• Like 1

I took my Hyper 7 out earlier, along with my mates hyper 7 too. We were driving up and down my street, and a lady a few doors down from me who i barely know came out and told us how her baby had just gone to sleep. So, we moved alittle further away from her into another street. After 5 minutes another old lady comes out this time, whos immediately on the offensive. She asked where i lived, i said "around here" she then told me to go and play with it by my house then. This was at 1pm btw guys, not 10.30pm... why weren't the boring cows at work...

Also there was a dead cat lying in the gutter and even he didn't mind. I thought he was just sleeping in a puddle by the edge of the gutter at first, but then he didn't react when i revved the engine up by his ears. Poor sod. I'll proberly get the blame for that too

ok guess this is gunna be similar to the Cruising offences that came into play a few years ago. Only reason the police can move you on is

1. If you have caused any damage to property

2. If you are disturbing the peace - by noise or any other factor. but this is has to be proved

3. if there is 11 or more people within a 100yard area in which case they could accuse you of creating a riot - yes its true.

Basically so long as you are on public property or private property with the owners permission they can't touch you.

Along with the noise factor. If you are using your RC between 7.30am-10.30pm you can't really commit a noise offence.

But as you said from the start your in a public field committing absolutley no offence. I would have told him to shove his head even further up and see if it sprouts back through his neck so he could see how much of a tit he was lol

I took my Hyper 7 out earlier, along with my mates hyper 7 too. We were driving up and down my street, and a lady a few doors down from me who i barely know came out and told us how her baby had just gone to sleep. So, we moved alittle further away from her into another street. After 5 minutes another old lady comes out this time, whos immediately on the offensive. She asked where i lived, i said "around here" she then told me to go and play with it by my house then. This was at 1pm btw guys, not 10.30pm... why weren't the boring cows at work...

Also there was a dead cat lying in the gutter and even he didn't mind. I thought he was just sleeping in a puddle by the edge of the gutter at first, but then he didn't react when i revved the engine up by his ears. Poor sod. I'll proberly get the blame for that too

What about people that work night shifts! etc.. etc..

i run my marder every weekend right out side the police staytion on a field its not the silentised car going and i can garantee that there will be at least 3 or 4 copers just stood there watching out of the window but iv never had 1 come over and tell me that i shouldnt be using it in a puplic place and iv made a good mess of the field till they do tell me to move on i will continue to use the field :whistling:

There just boring old buggers, like you say he should have been happy you had the decency to put the brakes on ! If i was you i would continue to use the field and if he comes 'a' moaning again, just calmly tell him your not commiting any crime, and to phone the police if he likes. then ask him if he makes sure he picks up any dog "mess" his dog makes in the field as it gets in your tyres.

:P

Some old farts are a pain in the ass, im sure some people just look for situations so they have something to do.

Dont run Nitro in housing estates though, as your gonna get people moaning (not that it would bother me) but your best to find a field or dis-used area.

You have just more right to run your RC car than the guy has to run his dog. Next time he complains hit him with this

The dog poop must be picked up and taken home. If he doesnt he can get a £2000 fine. Take pics if he doesnt and send it to the local council. They will act

Dogs must have a collar and have a name tag on it with the owners address. If it doesnt it will be seized by the police and destroyed

A dog MUST be on a lead on a designated road

A dog that is deemed out of control in a public place can be immediatly destroyed

Rc cars are allowed on any public space unless specifically restricted. If anybody complains to me I usually tell them to stick it where the sun dont shine.

Cheers

Thanks for all the responses guys, been a huge help. I'll know what to say to the arrogant tit when he comes back. I just hope and pray he actually DID phone the police and they basically told him he's a moron.

Thanks for all the responses guys, been a huge help. I'll know what to say to the arrogant tit when he comes back. I just hope and pray he actually DID phone the police and they basically told him he's a moron.

The only think that the Police could really do you for is Anti Social behaviour, thats only if it were in a built up area. As you've taken the car, as many of us do to a Field to bash about in I can't see them even even bothering to send any officers out at all. They'll "file" the complaint by the man in the bin lol

If the field you are using is a public field (owned by the local authority) such as a park or recreation area, then you "should" be OK to run your car provided it won't cause any danger or damage.

if the field is privately owned by some farmer or belongs to property owned by a designated owner - such as a privatly owned car park that the owner lets the public have access to, then really you should seek the permission of the land owner. Otherwise it's trespassing.

The field may be perfectly OK but remember if it is farmland the reason the farmers don't want you walking on the land they own isn't neccesarily because they are a miserable old sod, but because they have put chemicals on his land which may be dangerous to your health or he may have seeds growing & you trampling on his last planted crops may well cost him a few thousand quid in the coming months if they don't grow... if nothing grows because all the kids in the area have turned his field into a social area, he has nothing to sell, thus he has no money.

Persoanlly speaking i can only say that using RC cars is roughly the same as using mini-moto's in public/private places. It really annoys me though when moan & complain about teenagers riding skateboards around city centre's or shopping areas, like it does when people run RC cars in the street where cars enter it once a day my answer is they aren't mugging old women, sticking needles in their arms or burgling houses so what is the problem? let them use the pavements & bandstands as a skate-park because if you stop them enjoying themselves they may well go out burgling

Sounds like you did the right thing by stopping the car so the dog didn't chase it, but the dog owner was then unreasonable by having a go at you. The guy sounds a bit of an idiot!

Best advice is to try and avoid conflict and move away if you are annoying someone, even if you are not breaking any rules / laws. Best in the long run and stops minor incidents escalating into something more serious.

Edited by HappyLad

Sounds like you did the right thing by stopping the car so the dog didn't chase it, but the dog owner was then unreasonable by having a go at you. The guy sounds a bit of an idiot!

Best advice is to try and avoid conflict and move away if you are annoying someone, even if you are not breaking any rules / laws. Best in the long run and stops minor incidents escalating into something more serious.

Good Advice there Happy Lad, People at the park where I go with Dogs just find it funny when they dog takes a "liking" to my car. I try and keep it away from the masses anyway and in a quieter part near the BMX track

Like the Banksy Avtar btw :good: .

just be nice is my advice, dont get on the offensive about anything. we used to have a park warden complain cos we were on a bmx track, which is kind of fair enough-it wasnt him annoyed it was someone else complaining they couldnt get on the track, but he said when noone is there then its fine.

police cant be bothered with complaints like this either, if ure nice to them they let u run and often watch as someone else said.

people with dogs are odd about rc's cos they say it could hurt someone but i recon if u looked into statistics ud find that dogs hurt a lot more people comparitvely than rc cars.

normally people like watchin the cars though, the odd complainer is part of the parcel-be nice,smile and move if the police tell u too!

that bloke who was in epping forest was an idiot from what i read in those articles...

police cant be bothered with complaints like this either,

how very true.

Mind you these days the police aren't bothered if you phone to say there is an Al-Queda terrorist living in the area, if you've just rung 999 to say someone is being murdered or there is a riot going on outside your house.

But phone them to say there is a car with no tax disc parked up at the end of the street & they are there within seconds, usually with a helicopter & a SWAT team

as said the only thing you need worry about at all is if the field is really public, or if it is privately owned. In which case the only place your allowed by law is on any footpaths that may run across it.

However...if it was privately owned, then yes you were tresspassing BUT, who says the dog walker wasnt also tresspassing.

As said, the police wont be bothered with it. If it was a housing estate then they'd be there with your fine and warning for noise pollution or anti social behaviour.

If its public carry on mate :D

having said that, the way things are going with some of the silly laws coming out now, wont be long before you can get done for dangerous driving, or driving while under the influence when using a model car/buggy lol

Edited by Switch

the police cant do anything mate... 3 timespolice have come out to me and just asked me questions about the car as they thought it was a mini moto. even gave the police a go of my on road car pmpl. so yeah police cant do anything