• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Pro .28 going turbo

martin

Well i've been attacking my tt pro .28 crank with the dremel for 2 days making a turbo scope and widening the inlet timing by about 2 degrees, also rounding the edges of the counter weight for better flow, did all that and then had to get my metal polish out and buff it all up+ the inside where the fuel flows through(the metals really dull and has loads of machining ridges in it as standard).

Already ported and polished the liner a few weeks ago and performance increased a fair bit so al being well it should be an animal. :shockingscary:

DSC00267.jpg

Pretty pleased with how it went i am by all means not an expert at doing it but the engines i have done have all seen performance increases.

DSC00262.jpg

I will be putting it to the test hopefully sometime this week

DSC00264.jpg

New bearings are in the block all ready (sh .28 bearings fit the pro .28)

the tt pro you can't buy the bearings seperate you have to buy the whole block

(money making scam me thinks).

let me know what you think guys (it will probably blow up but who cares its fun porting an engine)

I will let you know what if its turned out to be, a tortoise or a hare.

marty :)

Oh dear :P I dread to see what u'll start next with a dremel :P

Get some piks of the ported p+l :P

But yeah just becareful - with porting u cant stay at WOT as long.... cause ur revs will be through the roof :)

Dont forget to add a cold plug :ph34r:

I'll keep an eye out for a flying martin car :P

Ziggy

Oh dear :P I dread to see what u'll start next with a dremel :P

Get some piks of the ported p+l :P

But yeah just becareful - with porting u cant stay at WOT as long.... cause ur revs will be through the roof :)

Dont forget to add a cold plug :ph34r:

I'll keep an eye out for a flying martin car :P

Ziggy

i will put some pics up before and after porting of the liner and crankshaft later in the week the piston no need to touch it already has a cut out for more fuel inlet, the conrod already has a slight knife edge and i ain't trimming that down a think the rod will need all the strength it can get.

I have loads of heat range plugs so i should be ok.

Wot throttle your right ziggy about that mate but i only ever do short sharp burst of speed anyway so it will only rev flat out for a second or so.

God knows what it will be like it already wheelies on command now :lol:

Next thing to dremel hmm not sure im running out of things to do on the engine.

Rebuilt it today after work and it didn't want to go it kept flooding so i thought because of the better fuel flow and intake it might be to rich on the lsn,

Had to turn the lsn in by 1/4 turn and it struck up no problem so tomorrow i might get chance after work to tune it and see how it performs.

The pics where by my phone so it ain't focused on the crank very well, never mined you get the general idea of what i've done.

for a guide on how to port engines i just basically looked at how turbo scoops are carved into the crank and roughly take off 1/2mm each side of the crank inlet (roughly 2 degrees).Then get all the dremel polishing bits to polish it up to a nice shine.

The boost port i have left alone because it has a nice tapper on it already.The 2 inlets all i have done is made a chammfered edge pointing towards the boost port to aid scavanging and directing the fuel mixture away from the exhaust port.Also polished those ports aswell.

Exaust port i have left alone it is none restrictive (no liner showing through the exhaust port of the engine block.

If you tap in porting a nitro engine on google you will find a few guides but all engines are different so need different types of porting techniques.

I don't port other peoples engines just incase i might make them a paper weight :lol: i do my own for fun factor really im still learning and so far i've been good at it(fingers crossed).

Took the havoc for its first test run for 10 mins since modifying the whole engine (had other things to do).

Put a new os 8 plug in and 25% tornado extra cooling blend, and wow the engine is a beast its got power that a never thought it could have, it instantly flips over and does a 360 and lands on its wheels again i was laughing my head off seeing it do that.

Considering the havoc is single speed and does 50mph and still wheelies on command is pretty impressive.

The engine will be running on the richer side off a tune now that its been modified, it was chucking loads of smoke out and was still awesome in performance,

The havoc was still pulling wheelies with ease when coasting at 20+ mph then nailing the throttle.

Im well chuffed that my hours of work has paid off cos one slight error on a port can be a none runner.

I will post more pics soon).

Yeah i will get some better pics at the week end, the crank will be in the engine so i will just take the backplate off and take a pic from there,

the liner i ported will only take 5 mins to take out so thats no problem, i will do before and after pics aswell, just haven't had time to upload them due to work.

The angle of the groove mate i did it by the eye with a pencil then very carefully attacked it with the dremel.

I basically went on the net and looked at various turbo crank scoops and what position they were.

Some had 2 or 3 but i just did the 1 and mainly with 1 scoop they look/position like i have done mine.

The liner was easy to do being brass but the crank (hardened steel) gave me a hard time it took ages and lots of different bits were needed to do the scoop.

The polishing bored me on the crank aswell but i got good results just need to put it fully to the test at the weekend and give it some.

Decided to upload some photos of the work i've done this camera is a little bit better :)

This is the crank before modifying there ain't rust just top discolouring from the nitro

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

This is the modified crank now in my engine totally lathered in after run oil and burn't fuel.

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00021.jpg

This is the sleeve before the modifying

DSC00016.jpg

This is the sleeve now ported on both intake ports the boost port was ok as it is.

DSC00017.jpg

Hope you like my work it took long enough to do.

Took it out for a 30 minute bash today, and holy cow its good, the grass was wet on the field so she was wheel spinning flicking water up by 6 feet from the back wheels, it gained traction at roughly 20mph wheelied flipped right over and lets just say my shell is well in half and my exhaust tail pipe rubbers have snapped off but that don't matter.

New shell and a wheelie bar for xmas thats all she needs.

I checked the temp and it was running at 230 after a good thrash about so thats ok.

The fuel consumption has risen slightly but its going to a 130ml tank lasts me 10 mins i used to get 12 before but i am running it slightly richer now that its ported, i would not be happy if it blew up by leaning it out just to get a little more power/speed.

She is nearly on 2 wheels all the time at high speed runs so the steering does nothing it just goes straight on near enough :shockingscary: