• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

OUCH!

Ziggy122

Cycling home today after school.... and there is a loud crunching grinding noise and look what i've found :o

DSC00249.jpg

DSC00248.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00250.jpg

Yup

My rear gear bracket broke :( - got caught in my wheel and snapped my chain :(

Luckily i wasn't go fast ( i was actually turning around)

But

me been heavy + a heavy school bag + lots other runs of going fast has taken its toll :(

That new rear bracket is gonna cost :|

:( :(

The link in the chains easy tho :)

Ziggy

lolz. unlucky. yes very luck you werent going fast could have done some real damage to yourself if you had been.

Yup it is

And it would of done more damage by actually damaging the rear derailer :o and even the spoke :o

i remember racing at a downhill national in fort william (poss cleveland, my memory is terrible) years ago when a guys frame snapped at the front at full chat...not pretty

I saw a guy riding down the side of a volcano on a tv prog called "wacked out sports"

This guy was doing over 130kmh down this volcano

His front forks came undone/off and he went flying for a good few hundread meters

If any1 would happen to know the Item number or what i need for to replace the bracket

For a Carrera Kracken 06 Rear Bottom bracket i would be very greatful :)

Ziggy

i did this on my bike. twice. both while moving at considerable speed wasn't fun, seconds time was on dirt so want as bad. I took it to a awesome shop the second time and they used a stronger one off a different bike and filled it to fit.

its only gonna be a few quid for a new mech hanger so you better be thank-ful its not part of the frame like my mates was. once its snaped thats the frame dumped.

ive snaped countless mech hangers but only costed me £3 for a new one then i snaped the frame...but it was only a protype frame and in the end never went on production due to week joints and kept flexing a lot.

bottom bracket is what ur cranks bolt too!

i bust a frame like this at full chat 1 day in the mournes! was a scary experiance gettin catapulted over the front down a big drop off!!!!!

sorry my bad

I didnt mean to call it a BB

i was tlking to sum1 else about it

but yea halfords said the same thing

this parts meant to break - to prevent damage to the frame/derailer

While thats in then

- For a new Hanger

- Chain fixing

- Bearing cleaning/BB replacement/Sorting

- Front Break reprofiling/adjusting

luckily labour costs are £0.00 Due to the cycle plan (god it helps save the ££$$££)

It still gonna cost....

Ziggy

sorry my bad

I didnt mean to call it a BB

i was tlking to sum1 else about it

but yea halfords said the same thing

this parts meant to break - to prevent damage to the frame/derailer

While thats in then

- For a new Hanger

- Chain fixing

- Bearing cleaning/BB replacement/Sorting

- Front Break reprofiling/adjusting

luckily labour costs are £0.00 Due to the cycle plan (god it helps save the ££$$££)

It still gonna cost....

Ziggy

oh wow thats sweet dude.. thats saved u loads cus most shops charge like £13 an hour labour :shockingscary: gear hangers are expensive i had to get one for a bike i fixed for a friends kona it cost £14 :shockingscary: bb replacement isnt too bad quite easy to do too :) i would think its easy to do tho being a cycle mechanic :lol: if ya ever need help just pm me mate also i always have gd bits i dnt need for sale ^_^

happy riding mate :good:

steve

oh wow thats sweet dude.. thats saved u loads cus most shops charge like £13 an hour labour :shockingscary: gear hangers are expensive i had to get one for a bike i fixed for a friends kona it cost £14 :shockingscary: bb replacement isnt too bad quite easy to do too :) i would think its easy to do tho being a cycle mechanic :lol: if ya ever need help just pm me mate also i always have gd bits i dnt need for sale ^_^

happy riding mate :good:

steve

Carrera Krakens are like £20 :( for the hanger :(

The Bottom brackets im killing very regulary :(

Oh well - as long as its sorted after everything :)

Im seriously missing it tho :(

Ziggy

I had a good one on my bike today i was coming down a road pretty fast and a car pulled out infront of me and didnt accelrate away and i sat on everything but still ran into the back of him ive got a feeling ive buckled my front wheel. He drove off pretty quick when i got off my bike and started walking towards his door.

A

Ash i had a good one today to 180 the faking to spin out noone told me about the car flicked it out and i skidded to a stop next to the car and i shouted and it was my form tutor so shes going to be mad tomorrow :( but oh well

Ziggy i know what you mean i miss my bike loads when it breaks hopefully you'll get it back soon :)

Edited by fisher

I own the road near me :P

I've had complaints about me going too fast around the pavements :lol:

But hey - when there is speed ur better off using it :)

Tbh the road is for 4 wheels not 2 wheels and 2 feet :(

Ziggy

most of the time i ride between cars and get THEM to crash :P

and they say them rear hangers are ment to save the bike i broke 3 and everytime f* the wheel and derailer

:lol: and ur away and gone :P

u have to love the agility you have over cars :P

and i hope the hanger breaking was just a failsafe as they say it is

and im not challenging any1 :P

I wanna be clocked tho :P would be good :)

Ziggy

Now here comes the BIG OUCH :shockingscary:

Got the call from halfords - as its been looked at today (bout time they've had it a week)

and I got a parts quote and price

So lets start

New Rear Mech Hanger £10

New Chain £10

New Rear Cassette 16.99

2 new crankbearing since i've worn them out (Why coat them in chrome anyway? u wont see em?) At about £14

in total they said its gonna cost £51.97!!! :o :o

I dropped dead....

Ziggy