• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

How to repair a pullstart

Ziggy122

Great tutorial Ziggy :)

I figured out how to fix pullstarts after trial and error (and lots of recoiling that damn spring) but it isn't half difficult to explain to someone how to do it for themselves!

Kudos to you for taking the time to show how it's done.

Edited by snowbl!nd

I've just used Ziggys technique and it was 100% successful for me too.The spring inside snapped right at the exit at the centre of the bobbin and the thing locked up aswell as pulling the cord straight through the hole in the bobbin,the bobbin was already snapped at the hole.Luckily I had a spare bobbin and used the old pullstart handle on the MG16 as the standard one is too small and gives blisters like you would'nt believe as i'd snapped the spring the same in that one too,unlucky or just heavy handed.? The springs that'd snapped in both pullstarts I just shaped like it was originally and snapped it back into the slot and from there followed Ziggy's instructions.Now I have a working again pullstart in the Hyper and MG16 aswell as a new handle,silicone piece and alloy guide off a Hyper on the little CEN MG16.Thanx Ziggy you saved me £18 for the Hyper and £14,95 for the CEN mate and this is probably the best repair guide on here.Nice one fella...... :good:

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

nice one mate just wanna add something to the end if you don't mind it another way of getting rid of that slack.

you can pull the cord out of the top of the pull start handle,and pull it out until all the slack has gone i sometimes do a little more and then all you do is tie another knot in the end and cut off the excess. i know it makes it sorter but not by much but its another way of doing things. hope you don't mind mate

Edited by mini

Top tip, i've been doin g mine like this for a while as I had yrs of practise on my old lawnmower, one thing to be warry of when adding the loop with the coctail stick isthat it adds pressure on the spring and it will loose it's recoil over time ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Top tip, i've been doin g mine like this for a while as I had yrs of practise on my old lawnmower, one thing to be warry of when adding the loop with the coctail stick isthat it adds pressure on the spring and it will loose it's recoil over time ;)

Mine never did recoil in the end, hence why i looked it around once more

Plus its what 1 of my old modelshops showed me before i really understood how to repair them :P

Awesome guide there Ziggy, shame I didn't see it a couple of months ago when my Picco .26 pullstart broke. Spend 2 days trying to fix it and managed to fix it in a maths lesson with 2 pairs of hands and a pensil :P

Bloody hard though, this should make it alot easier!

Pencil probably would work - but what happen to the cable ties? :P

Ziggy

• 1 month later...

Ziggy ziggy ziggy

why didnt you tell me about this method when i was trying to fix mine on live chat

o well now i no how to do it properly and should do it in 10mins

great guide

cheers mate

Edited by safc1994

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Repaired my pull start today after the cord pulled through the hole in the bobbin. I also found the spring had snapped where it attaches to the bobbin.

Took just over two hours to do, three nasty cuts to my hands and lots of four letter words but got there in the end! :rolleyes: I am sure it will be much quicker to do next time around.

Cheers Ziggy. I can now go bashing tomorrow! :)

Edited by dark stranger

• 4 weeks later...

coh, absoloutely legendary info

I tried to find out how to do it on the internet, discovered this web site

My metal coil inside broke, so I used plires to bend it round and re fit it onto the wheel for it to work

Didnt have a clue where the force came from, was hunting round everywhere, hmm, nope that doesnt look like it (looking inside the clutch)

Ive got a decent camera, so maybe if you need them I could take pictures of mine and upload them, doh will have to take it apart again, well If I do it again in the future Ill take some

I do quite a bit SLR photography

• 8 months later...

Excellant guide ziggy. I over streched my friends pull start yesterday, i felt real bad so I fixed it for him(actually my mum did when was at work lol). How long do these pullstarts last after being fixed?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to say thanks. Managed to get it done first time using this method after lots of unsuccesful attempts using different methods.

One comment though, I sprayed WD40 into the pullstart but now it slips. Could it be that this has got between the shaft and the one way bearing?

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the guide, couldn't get mine to run today and ended up pulling it out too far and it jammed and wouldn't recoil :( stripped it down a couple of times and followed this guide to repairing it, added a little grease so hopefully i shouldn't have any problems in the future.

• 1 year later...