• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Repairing lipo batteries

So i have 2 faulty lipo batteries, both have 1 duff cell, was contemplating making 1 good battery out of the 2, is there anything in particular i need to watch out for, i will discharge the batteries to the lowest my charger will take them too before i start this endeavour? These are 10000mah batteries and i run 2 at a time was thinking of buying a new 10400 battery to use as the pair for it.

When the batteries died it was really cold outside with snow on the ground, they were in my workshop up to then so were stone cold before i started using them and the lipo cutoff was at the lowest setting on the esc, i do think all these factors played a part in the batteries becoming faulty, now i take them inside the night before i am going to use them so they are at room temperature and has set the esc to the medium cut off and havent had an issue since

its a hard pill to swallow but if it were me i would bite the bullet and dispose of them, playing god with Lipo`s can lead to a fire, but dont take my word see what other folk have to say but tread carefully

Im with Lone Wolf here i dont think i would attempt it

However some of the fast electric crowd at the boat club do it . they have had some success and some epic fails doing it tho

If you do attempt it be damm carefull and remember lipos can burn under water 

I've done it but it's not easy getting the duff cell out especially if it's the middle of the pack without damaging the other 2 cells and soldering to the tabs isn't easy either but if you're going to try it check the internal resistance of the rest of the cells, if it's high it's probably not worth making an RC pack but you could make power banks out of them

• Like 1