• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

An eventful day to say the least!

Today started off so well with sitting my MOT annual assessment with getting a pass rate of 100%, so i was on a high with that and it took me less time than expected so thought i would go treat myself and take the xmaxx out for a blast since the other half is away to a friends for some drinks. Got 1 set of packs through and even measured my top speed on grass at 50mph well 49.5 but its close enough, put my second set in and was having a blast, stopped about 10feet away from myself and had some smokes of my vape then heard a weird noise then could see fire coming from the xmaxx! Quickly pulled the body off and jerked at the battery connectors and that was the fire out! Got home and fully inspected the carnage which to be fair was a hell of a lot better than i was expecting, it was the esc that caught fire and a little bit of smoke damage to the shell which to be fair cleaned off for the most part, and of course the esc is toast, tested all my electrics and everything is still spot on batteries, receiver, servo and ubec all still fully functional, only thing i couldnt test was the motor but it still spins fine by hand  so who knows with that so today started off on a high got even better then worse but it could have been a hell of a lot worse thats for sure!

RuPN4yi.jpg
csCntqN.jpg

Edited by wolfie1
  • Sad 2

Congrats on the MOT. Im guessing this is the Max 6/1650. Combo? This is exactly what happened with my Max 6 and 1650kv combo as I said in your thread. Its an ok combo for a 8th scale on 6s but not powerful enough for an X Maxx. The motor isnt rated for 8S either. I dont know why people recommend this in an X Maxx, or run it on 8s. At least it didnt take anything else out 😞

Whats next for you?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

What KV?

1650 But this 1 is 8s rated and is sensored

i really liked the 1650 i have in at the moment, i would say its a really good match to the vehicle, its not so powerful where you can easily give it full power so doesnt ruin the fun and can easy run a set of 10000mah packs doing constant speed runs without it getting hot, the hottest temps i seen on it running in sand was 69 degrees. I know you hate this but you can also easily do wheelies with it as well

Edited by wolfie1

1 hour ago, wolfie1 said:

1650 But this 1 is 8s rated and is sensored

i really liked the 1650 i have in at the moment, i would say its a really good match to the vehicle, its not so powerful where you can easily give it full power so doesnt ruin the fun and can easy run a set of 10000mah packs doing constant speed runs without it getting hot, the hottest temps i seen on it running in sand was 69 degrees. I know you hate this but you can also easily do wheelies with it as well

The ESC was my biggest concern but it appears the new Max 6 is 200a, as opposed to 160a so SHOULD fair better than the old one.

I actually do like the look of that new combo, especially being sensored and actually rated for 8s. Not enough to justify the £400ish by the time its mounted, and as you said, youre getting 49mph, so I dont see a speed benefit, but it definately looks a much better combo than the previous Max6/1650kv combo. Good luck with it!

4 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

The ESC was my biggest concern but it appears the new Max 6 is 200a, as opposed to 160a so SHOULD fair better than the old one.

I actually do like the look of that new combo, especially being sensored and actually rated for 8s. Not enough to justify the £400ish by the time its mounted, and as you said, youre getting 49mph, so I dont see a speed benefit, but it definately looks a much better combo than the previous Max6/1650kv combo. Good luck with it!

I just wonder now that im running a proper 8s motor whether it could be geared up from a 20 to a 22tooth pinion, i need to do research

48 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

I just wonder now that im running a proper 8s motor whether it could be geared up from a 20 to a 22tooth pinion, i need to do research

Your 450kv higher than stock and geared taller. I know temps are ok but I feel your gearing may be why your Max 6 went up in flames. Theres more to gearing than temps. Just be careful

You dont see a cooked hobby wing often, what a mess, how are the batteries, if the esc popped it might have started a short on the batteries, check the cell voltages
Most of the time these ESC's will cut out due to high load (amps) (not heat).
The max 6 only uses 10 awg wire and should be 8awg for 8s imo, the current melted the connector from the pcb. But the fire probably came from the capacitors blowing out, tho the tops look okish.

Posted (edited)

I have been doing some research today and i do think it was capacitor overheat that caused it to go pop

hmmm maybe i will just stick with the 20t then

Edited by wolfie1