• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX or HPI

A Hog

Hi,

I am looking to get into the nitro rc hobby but am at a point at which I am a bit stuck between a couple of cars. I would be looking at the Nitro FTX Zorro or the HPI Bullet MT 3.0. However, the HPI is £65 more than the FTX. Is it really worth this additional cost? If anyone has any experience with either cars I would be grateful if you could let me know how you got on with them so I can get an idea of what they are like.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

Good point for FTX is the ready supply of low cost spare parts

Yeah that's true. Good point.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steve-O2021 said:

But Nitro fuel is expensive now.... cheaper to go 2 Stroke Petrol when you work it out Per L  🙂

Not sure I can afford a petrol car at the moment unfortunately 

22 hours ago, Yorkshireman said:

I must admit that I'm a bit of a hpi fan anyway but Modelsport have a pre owned Bullet MT for sale for £210....looks like new. Most spares are available also.

I have come across that, definitely worth considering 

20 hours ago, Steve-O2021 said:

My HPI Trophy Truggy Flux takes a good beating and don't think I've damaged anything major just the stock servo and pinion. Parts seem easy to get hold of

Not overly expensive to replace damaged parts either which is good

6 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

ive still got a couple nitro models but cant really see me running them nowadays

I did consider an electric model but i think I'd always have an itch for a nitro model

I run a couple of hpi trophy's amongst other nitros. Plenty of spares too. I've used a mate's Ftx roadcar and quality seems good👍. I do sometimes think about going electric at times and I probably will buy one at some point,but I like tinkering and fixing the nitros,and I enjoy the whole experience of nitro,noise and smell etc. 

4 hours ago, Grantus said:

I run a couple of hpi trophy's amongst other nitros. Plenty of spares too. I've used a mate's Ftx roadcar and quality seems good👍. I do sometimes think about going electric at times and I probably will buy one at some point,but I like tinkering and fixing the nitros,and I enjoy the whole experience of nitro,noise and smell etc. 

Same reason I want a nitro, love tinkering with stuff like that. I came to a conclusion anyway and have just ordered the HPI. I look forward to my nitro experience!

• Like 3

HPI were generally better ... but the Bullet MT3.0 was not one of their finest.

HPI even did an official video showing how to fit fuel tube into the drive cups to stop them spitting out driveshafts. Savages I love. Bullets not.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, A Hog said:

Same reason I want a nitro, love tinkering with stuff like that. I came to a conclusion anyway and have just ordered the HPI. I look forward to my nitro experience!

Good on you mate 👍 Be sure to run the engine in properly...warm it up first with a heat gun or engine heater. Hope you have fun tinkering  😁

• Like 2

On 20/02/2024 at 18:30, Cactus said:

hHPI will be better quality, but FTX are alright these days... There are loads of parts for both. I'd pick the HPI 😁

Funny you mention that, my new HPI Bullet just arrived today! 😁

• Haha 1

On 20/02/2024 at 20:30, Yorkshireman said:

Good on you mate 👍 Be sure to run the engine in properly...warm it up first with a heat gun or engine heater. Hope you have fun tinkering  😁

Yep I will do. Been reading up on the whole process of breaking it in and tuning, just got to look forward to the weekend now! Thanks for the tip of using a hair dryer, I probably would have forgotten about that! Can't wait to get tinkering 😄

• Like 1

On 20/02/2024 at 20:26, Nitroholic said:

HPI were generally better ... but the Bullet MT3.0 was not one of their finest.

HPI even did an official video showing how to fit fuel tube into the drive cups to stop them spitting out driveshafts. Savages I love. Bullets not.

I believe HPI released an option part to stop that issue. I'll see how it goes for now before getting the upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/03/2024 at 22:14, Yrkoon said:

just make sure you have somewhere away from houses to run a nitro, biggest problem with nitro is the sheer noise they make 🙂

Thats the best bit 👍😂

• Haha 1