• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Overlander NiMH Warranty Claim Refused

ZaphodB

Hi folks,

Do you think the company's response is reasonable?

I've had an Overlander 7.2V NiMH 3300 pack fail just short of 12 months. Not overcharged, not deep discharged, not thermally abused. No physical damage, not shorted. Used a total of, perhaps 20 times in that period (race meetings are bi-weekly and I have missed a few).

One week after a race night, it was at 7.5V for the pack (storage charge), two weeks later the pack voltage was 1.38V and it wouldn't charge.

I have the original receipt when purchased (14th Nov 2022).

They offer a 1 year warranty, section 5.1.1 of their Terms & Conditions:

image.png.f16b8ff823a5397874a8cd42f76e1d3d.png

I contacted them on 6th Nov for a warranty replacement. Overlander's response?

"Given that you have been using this battery for nearly a year, we are unable to provide a replacement under these circumstances."

In short,  "You've used it, we won't replace it".

Retailer contacted Overlander, was told what they'd told me and refused to refund/replace.  His best offer was to let me buy a new pack "at cost price".

Zaph

Overlander Warranty.bmp

Edited by ZaphodB
Added media

Yes, you used the pack for a year, batteries are consumables, you wouldnt take a nitro engine back to a shop because the engine parts wear out.
Batteries wear out also and i think considering its been raced and that takes higher tolls on batteries, this response is well within their legal rights.
I have returned a few overlander batteries but only due to them arriving below safe storage charge (lipo) in this instance the purchaser has right to return as the product arrived damaged, wear and tear even after 3 months they can reject the return and would as its been used.

• Like 2

For a warranty claim within the back end of the 12 months you would have to prove that the fault existed since new.

Same applies to almost every 12 months warranty on other items such as TV's, fridges, power tools etc etc.

A lot of shops will replace for free but they legally don't have to.

• Like 1

The nature of this hobby Id consider a battery a consumable and think 12 months is fair. Ive had £100+ lipo’s end up in the bin within a year because theyve gone bad, just one of those things.

You sure it wont charge? Ive never struggled to bring a nimh back personally?

• Like 1