• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Wolfie1 X-MAXX

wolfie1

Today the 2 alloy end casings for my motor arrived, the front side went on no bother as thats what they were designed for, i loctited grub screes in the extra holes to stop dirt getting in there, the back side the wires were in the way to i drilled and dremeled out some material so it would fit over the wires, i had to put some instant gasket over over them holes as there was not much threads left to put grub screws in, so hopefully this will help with some extra cooling

Rv9oGAz.jpg
Ho2IgYW.jpg

QbU0Nl2.jpg

Has anyone ever experimented with ceramic bearings in their motor? I was wondering if the hybrid variety may be a benefit steel inner and outer shells but ceramic balls as they have less friction and would never get rough with water ingress or am i wasting my time and money with them?

2 hours ago, Tug said:

I tried some in an E-Maxx years ago, didn't last any longer than stockers. 

I now treat bearings as disposable, just like Stanley blades, when they're done, bin them. 

It wasnt for the longevity i was after them it was an attempt to decrease friction, as last time i had my motor apart 1 bearing was  slightly sticky prob due to some corrosion build up and i just thought ceramic doesnt corrode, but it its not worth it i will not bother, thanks for the knowledge

on another note the alloy end bells on the motor have def helped with cooling, i got 90% through a 10000mah battery before i had to stop to let it cool and thats with constant speed runs, so very pleased with that result

Edited by wolfie1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The motor being too hot issue has finally come to light exactly what the problem was, the motor was on its way out, it died on me yesterday locked up solid, so have gone ahead and ordered a hobbywing 4985, a scorched rc motor mount and a selection of pinions so Merry Christmas to me from me, only downside is i need to wait longer than normal for it to arrive, oh well

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally after waiting sooooooo long, i can finally get this fixed, ordered this as i liked the look of it

zQzNKzu.jpg

this motor came the other day but couldnt do anything with it until the mount arrived

muoIvOh.jpg

i paired it with a 22 tooth pinion and the 50t spur gear i was using before, i still need to cut out the gear cover so that fits but thats a job for later

zwLjgCh.jpg

• Like 1

Wife was soundo, so decided to go out and finish, thought i was going to have to put a 3d printed gear cover on, happy this fits with a little modification 

hUIhn7U.jpg

Since the stock motor was supported at both ends but this wasnt, thought i would try something, it cant hurt

6xEDGeK.jpg

So yea really happy with that, roll on the weekend and some fine weather

wVoMFRF.jpg

• Like 1

Thats not a Max 6 is it? Mine lasted less 5 minutes with that motor, had to get a Max 5. I also think you’re massively over geared, as that motor is 450kv more than stock. Id be very careful

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Very good mate :good:

I tend to put a bit of dense foam at the unsuported rear of the motor so it doesnt flex about 

I was going to do that, thought i would give a zip tie a go first

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Thats not a Max 6 is it? Mine lasted less 5 minutes with that motor, had to get a Max 5. I also think you’re massively over geared, as that motor is 450kv more than stock. Id be very careful

It is a max 6, what do you suggest?

8 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

It is a max 6, what do you suggest?

Run only on 6S, the motor isnt rated for 8s anyway.  Although people do run 8s in something like an Infraction. I dont know why Hobbywing sell this as a combo in the first place if the motor is only 6s rated.

But, Gear down similar to the what the original 6S Maxx was geared as as that had a 1600kv motor. Its a strange choice of motor to upgrade to to be honest. Most people go for the 58 series motor, as the 49 series are a more over powered 8th scale motor than a large scale motor. And if you’re spending all that money on a mount, people usually drop to a a LOWER kv motor and  jump to mod 1.5 gearing. What are you wanting to achieve changing the motor by the way?

Edited by Kpowell911

11 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Run only on 6S, the motor isnt rated for 8s anyway.  Although people do run 8s in something like an Infraction. I dont know why Hobbywing sell this as a combo in the first place if the motor is only 6s rated.

But, Gear down similar to the what the original 6S Maxx was geared as as that had a 1600kv motor. Its a strange choice of motor to upgrade to to be honest. Most people go for the 58 series motor, as the 49 series are a more over powered 8th scale motor than a large scale motor. And if you’re spending all that money on a mount, people usually drop to a a LOWER kv motor and  jump to mod 1.5 gearing. What are you wanting to achieve changing the motor by the way?

Just to get a working car again, i was intending running it on 8s as i had watched a lot of videos with folks having good success with this combo and hoped i would have too, the smallest pinion i can fit is a 20, maybe i will go fit it instead and give it a go

15 hours ago, wolfie1 said:

Took you up on your advice and changed to a 20t pinion

Just monitor it. Just watch temps Id still say youre too high but just be really careful. Id expect you to run into heat issues, especially running 8S on a 6S Motor

Edited by Kpowell911

Got about 20 mins out today before the rear diff started slipping, but so far so good got 57degrees c. max is what i seen.

Now im looking onto replacement diffs and i am seeing there is 2 different aftermarket gearings but whats the better 1 to go for, stock is 11/35 and the aftermarket ones i am seeing are either 10/32 and 13/42, they are all the same ratio bur my mind is saying the 10/32 in the strongest gears as there is less of them or am i missing something?

Got 3 full sets of packs through the xmaxx today and so far so good with the 1650kv 4985 hobbywing motor and max6v3 esc, i am running a 50t spur and a 20t pinion on 8s and the highest temp i seen doing back to back speed runs (for pretty much a whole set of packs) was 49 degrees c. I really think it may be possible to run a bigger pinion but i am happy with it the way it is

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, wolfie1 said:

Got 3 full sets of packs through the xmaxx today and so far so good with the 1650kv 4985 hobbywing motor and max6v3 esc, i am running a 50t spur and a 20t pinion on 8s and the highest temp i seen doing back to back speed runs (for pretty much a whole set of packs) was 49 degrees c. I really think it may be possible to run a bigger pinion but i am happy with it the way it is

Im really glad its working for you. My experience was different but fair play. Maybe you can gear up! Hows the performance 

17 minutes ago, Kpowell911 said:

Im really glad its working for you. My experience was different but fair play. Maybe you can gear up! Hows the performance 

Its really fast now, i am thinking about taping my phone to it and run a gps app and see how fast it is now, 1 thing that really noticeable now under acceleration is the rear end really squats, you wont like this but it really holds a wheely now but its not so powerful where you really have to feather the throttle to get acceleration, its good the way it is now, well im certainly happy with it