• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Fms Fcx24 power wagon review and back to back testing.

Gaz!

• Gaz! unlocked this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

I have done a video but cannot seem to upload it… probably just me lmao

The first test run was terrible!!

it had 30 attempts at the same bit of course and managed it twice, it rolled so many times that the rear of the cage doesnt hold very well now, the tyres have very little grip also, the wheelbase is incredibly short which can help but also hinder, on a descent the rear end came over the front far too easily.

so back onto the bench and its now got weight inside the wheels and ive trimmed back the massive wheel arches, now looks like this….

IMG-2489.jpg

Only had a 5 minute drive before the lipo ran out but it IS a definite improvement, it managed the course more, the rear still wants to come over the front when descending, the tyres aren’t the greatest, they dont really deform over the rocks.  So now im afraid its a waiting game before i can order any goodies for it. I have compiled a list already…..

1. Wheels and tyres for more grip and more weight.

2. Suspension links and steering links to try and get rid of all the sloppiness.

3. Front c-hubs and steering knuckles will hopefully help increase steering lock as stock is a little disappointing.

4. Shocks/springs will need doing, it is very bouncy and again will help the handling.

i have pondered if the battery is too high now and causing it to be a bit top heavy, unfortunately though it has to go this way.

thanks for looking, more coming asap.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Have you considered these ?

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/1348871

maybe even just on rear wheels might add enough to stop nose overs ?

Yeah ive seen these, looks a good way to add a little extra weight where needed. I need to decide on some wheels and tyres and see if these could work with them, great call though mate, thank you. :good:

• Like 2

Managed to make a couple of small purchases (excuse the pun lol)

got some internally sprung shocks, alloy steering links and some alloy wheel hexes coming on a slow boat from China.

in the meantime, i need to have a look at what other bits i have left to sell to get some more stuffs ordered….

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review and interesting read pal 😀

Had a Power Wagon a while ago and had similar issues with it being nose heavy and tendancy to roll sideways. Didn't keep it long enough to do many mods but wrapped a 9v battery to look like a pack to give a bit of weight on the rear.

Yours looks great with the TRX4m wheels and tyres, trimmed arches make a difference 👍

Looking forward to progress 😄🙂😄

• Like 3

Well the upgrades came and really impressed with the steering links and hexes, for a no name brand, the fit and finish is very good.

same with the shocks, they look amazing! Easily look like they could be twice maybe even three times more expensive. Unfortunately once fitted, the shell wont go back on as they stick out further than the stock pogo sticks, I haven’t had time (end of school term stuffs) to have a look to find a remedy, just off the top of my head i could swap the lower link with the shock mounts on the axle and remove the shock top standoff….. if it clears the shock towers, i will make a start on it asap.

@Davy Crockett, thanks for the kind words mate :good: i have thought about making a little box on the back to house the main drive battery, those wheels and tyres have been robbed back by my lad now, he has built up a stock rtr Trx4m for his mum to use so we all have one now.

i will make sure to get some before and after pics of the shock issue, if that goes well then its time for some head scratching with the electrics (again! Lol)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well the shock problem is no more!!

I couldn’t swap the shock and lower link around as the top would have fouled the shock towers, luckily i had some smaller spacers (the ones supplied with the shocks was 5mm i think) at 2mm, and the plan was to upgrade the mounting hardware with some cap head bolts but now these fouled the wheel arches, so i had to use the Phillips head, supplied bolts which is far from ideal but they were too long, luckily they are made of cheese so a snip with the cutters and off we go again, and now thankfully the shell clears JUST lol

the steering link went on no bother as do the hexes (you might just be able to make them out in the pics), now its time for another run and see how it goes.

one thing i will say is my power wagon has really poor steering lock, again another plus point for the Trx4m there im afraid.

anyway, ill shut up until the results of this “test run”, still unsure of battery placement as of yet though???

IMG-2512.jpg

IMG-2513.jpg

IMG-2514.jpg

IMG-2515.jpg

IMG-2516.jpg

Finally, i got in touch with the seller about the shocks as the ad listed them to fit and explained they didn’t and he should amend the ad according, as it could lead to more problems from fragile buyers, he was excellent throughout and even did a part refund as a gesture which i thought was very kind of him.

just noticed the pics, it does my head in to see hex bolts and dirty Phillips screws together, need to sort out some small bolts in various sizes…..

thanks for looking :good:

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

That was good of the seller tho . As for the battery placement could you not swap places with esc and battery ?

Definitely was, i will make a few future purchases from him. The battery is longer than the esc mate, meaning the cab wouldn’t go on over the front…

9 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

just an idea for battery, maybe a box on the rear bed area to house the little 380mah, as the power wagon can use a little more weight on the back

I dont have the original supplied lipo, i bought the one you recommended in your fcx24 thread mate, yeah that placement is definitely on the cards, just cba digging through the plasticard and making something if I’m brutally honest lmao, will have to try something after this test run. :good:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Cant believe its been so long,

nothing performance wise to update but ive kinda hit a cross roads with this truck. 

My original plan was to convert the power wagon shell for the blazer shell but by the time you have bought all the bits, its not a cheap fix, (with a set of wheels and tyres, i cant see much change from £100) couple that to the upgrades that are still wanted and im in new rc territory. Also has mentioned, the wife has bought me the Injora Tarantula kit for my birthday which is going to need some pennies throwing at it too, although wont be top spec from the off, that would have to be gradually done too.

So my options are,

1, carry on above with said plan and keep the fcx24, spending another £150-200 getting it how i want it.

2, attempt to sell the fcx24 and a couple of other smaller rc to offset the cost of the Traxxas trx4m Chevy Blazer and the essential upgrades (the Traxxas Blazer is £197.99 when i last            looked). 

both options would require being funded by selling others in an attempt to get the funds. The days of have spare money have now passed restricting what i can buy etc. 

if im honest though, its a chore going through them all photographing each and listing for no one to reply. EBay comes with the pressure of finding a idiot then being left out of pocket so thats  kind of last chance saloon.

i know its not a serious dilemma in the grand scheme of reality lol

i get you situation, my problem is not having space for all my rc stuff, with out over flowing into main house area so i tend to have a one out one in policy, hence i dug out my blitzer with a view to clean, photo and list but then decided to just keep it and sack of new car.

You could get a fair price for the power wagon and put the money toward the tarantula build

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lone-wolf said:

i get you situation, my problem is not having space for all my rc stuff, with out over flowing into main house area so i tend to have a one out one in policy, hence i dug out my blitzer with a view to clean, photo and list but then decided to just keep it and sack of new car.

You could get a fair price for the power wagon and put the money toward the tarantula build

Thanks for that mate, could i ask, what do you think its worth?, i have no idea what to ask for it as its not a standard one with the electrics and few upgrades…

• Like 1