• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hot battery and motor?

Craigyboy83

I got out yesterday for a run with my hyper VS buggy and a new hobbywing max8 combo I had put in after the original esc died, it’s the cheaper sensor less combo (not g2) with the 2200kv combo. It’s running good but I did have a temp cut off issue at one point, running on mostly loose dirt and 4s. The motor was hot enough that touching wasn’t overly pleasant and the battery was very warm as well. It’s currently on a 16t pinion that was stock, the mesh is good and the drivetrain is free feeling. Is it just a case of dropping pinion a couple of teeth as the motor is 200kv higher than stock setup? Any help from those with more knowledge than me would be greatly appreciated. 

If you can hold a finger on the motor, it's fine. 

Batteries do get warm, so don't worry if they're only warm. 

A heat gun is useful and fairly cheap these days. 

• Like 2

depends on conditions too craig if running in hot weather and dusty conditions wont take long for temp cut off to kick in etc the gearing sounds fine and it no binding  i tend to run mine for 15mins then come in to cool down in hot weather 👍

• Like 1

My son and I both run that combo in our Hyper 7 conversions on a 17 tooth pinion . We also run our Hyper VSe's the 4s versions at 17 tooth pinion and not had thermal shutdown yet (we run ours on 4s)

The motors are warm but you can touch em for a few seconds before its uncomfortable 

I would recheck the drive train to make sure its running free and also check the ESC fan to make sure it runs free and not stiff or notchy 

• Like 1