• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Why the White Paint?

SXFoxstar

I have started to consider creating a custom paint job for my Bugsta and have watched a number of YT videos. All of them seem to add a final inside layer of white “to make the colour pop” but I’m not understanding how that works? Can anyone help kill my curiosity as in my mind the white would be hidden by the top layers (if looking at it from the outside?

Edited by SXFoxstar
Misspelling

My understanding would be that any/some of light that gets through the paint is then reflected back out. Iirc I’ve also seen silver suggested as a final layer for the same reason as white. I’ve not painted enough shells myself to have seen any difference though - it’s certainly not a requirement 😄 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Usually best practice is to do light coats for main colour. The paint ends up not being opaque. So a backing colour is used slightly thicker as to not let stuff shine through.

Rule of thumb for backing colours is:

White = Will make your flat colours brighter. Essential for fluorescent's. 

Black = Will darken your colours. Great behind things like gunmetal grey.

Silver = Really just for metallics but you can add a little subtle sparkle to your flats. I have done it behind florescent green before and looked really cool. 

Edited by totlxtc