• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Building from scratch.

Rustic Ade

Alright folks,

Given my lack of competence, am I mad in thinking I can build a crawler from scratch, selecting the parts I want, or am I best buying a self build chassis kit and my own electrics, wheels, body etc?

A mate and me have decided to build vehicles, he is very technically minded and me not so.

I love the design of the chassis on the Enduro Ecto Trail with the gatekeeper rear suspension arrangement but ideally want a self build.

How easy is it to source components, axles, gear boxes, transfer boxes, shocks etc, to put something together, are you limited to the manufacturers or can you literally find the bits you want and 'sling' them together.

Any particularly good bare chassis' anyone can suggest as my starter for 10?

Also, straight axle over portal?

I do not have an unlimited budget but am doing a slow cook on this so won't be buying all at once. Definitely consider second hand parts so may put some shout outs.

My little SCX24 is set so it slumps and rides low, it seems very stable and forms its self over stuff, whether big obstacles or general rough ground, I'd like a similar stance to a bigger model.

AND, should I do this, how many questions can I ask before you all get the hump?

Edited by Rustic Ade
Grammar 🙄 and extra questions.
  • Haha 1

you can do that and theres some build threads on it 

obviously a kit gives you all you need to build it but sourcing parts for a custom build is harder but at the end you get more or less exactly what you want 

have a read at those build threads and see what way you want to go

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stormbringer said:

you can do that and theres some build threads on it 

obviously a kit gives you all you need to build it but sourcing parts for a custom build is harder but at the end you get more or less exactly what you want 

have a read at those build threads and see what way you want to go

Build thread in this forum?

What do you think of the gatekeeper chassis? There don't seem to be many that feature it but I do like it for the suspension position.

Check out his build threads he does really nice scale builds

cooper_xl theres also a section on crawlers by Stimpy 

I really dont know anything about the gatekeeper chassis 

I have the TRX4 rtr the TRX6 rtr A Hobao DC1 kit and a Redcat Wendigo i bought almost ready to run from A.J 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Check out his build threads he does really nice scale builds

cooper_xl theres also a section on crawlers by Stimpy 

I really dont know anything about the gatekeeper chassis 

I have the TRX4 rtr the TRX6 rtr A Hobao DC1 kit and a Redcat Wendigo i bought almost ready to run from A.J 

Cool, Thank you, this is the kind of stuff I need 👍🏻

• Like 1

no probs but im no expert on them

As for electrics 

Brushed a Hobby wing 1060 or 1080 the 1080 is better more set up options using the program card but costs a bit more

A Holmes hobby trailmaster or crawlmaster 35 turn 550 motor really good motors for crawling/trailing

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stormbringer said:

no probs but im no expert on them

As for electrics 

Brushed a Hobby wing 1060 or 1080 the 1080 is better more set up options using the program card but costs a bit more

A Holmes hobby trailmaster or crawlmaster 35 turn 550 motor really good motors for crawling/trailing

Compiling a list of recommendations 👍🏻

Expert or not, everything helps mate

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Ohh i meant to say you can go brushless as well but youl need to research that bit tho 

As I've looked and browsed, most people's crawlers seem to run lipo and brushed, is this for simplicity?

Lipos are better but most crawler/trail  kits or rtr come with brushed motors so the cost of a brushless set up may put folk off

some folk prefer brushed but if my brushed set ups die i may look into brushless for mine 

6 minutes ago, Rustic Ade said:

As I've looked and browsed, most people's crawlers seem to run lipo and brushed, is this for simplicity?

It's cheaper. That's what it boils down to, dedicated brushless systems are better in every measure.

• Like 1

Ah, in regards to the original question: buy a kit. You'll not be able to screw together random bits to get a decent crawler. Most aren't intercompatible, and without actual background you'll never get any decent form of suspension geometry together. You COULD technically decide on a chassis, buy all the suspension/drivetrain components of it, and bolt it to a piece of wood or something - but in that case you might as well just buy the kit of said choice. 

It's not impossible, but it's so much work for a subpar result that i don't see why anyone would do it. Indeed, i really haven't anyone seen do it. 

• Thanks 1

A TRX4 kit will give you a good crawler/trail truck and you can upgrade them as you go , theres stacks of aftermarket bits,n,bobs available for them 

Buying a kit will most likely be cheaper than sourcing bits that may or not fit from various makers

In the future with more experience then try a custom build 

Edited by Stormbringer
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shergar said:

I’m currently fixing TRX4 parts to an SCX based chassis and the suspension geometry is way out, its took lots of sodding about so far! 

Sodding about is something I'm keen to avoid.

Don't mind figuring out but no sodding about.

• Haha 2

With wheel size, is there any merit in using the slightly larger 2.1 wheels over the 1.9 to give more clearance? Or will that cause problems?

My mate that is also building one is opting for portals but I don't want it so high.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have decided to go down the Injora route. SCX10ii base.

Ordering a chassis then selecting compatible bits to suit.

I've ordered the chassis, axles, links etc along with odd other sundries.

Plan to set it up, then buy suitable length shocks to suit the ride position.

After this it's over to electronics and motors so then the questions will really start.

• Like 3

On 22/04/2023 at 20:38, Lone-wolf said:

seen a review on the Austar/Injora chassis with 2 speed and portals, it did very well

I'm just going single speed and straight axles. Bits have started arriving now, and though I have nothing to compare them with, seem well made.

Still waiting on axles but staring to put it together, seems to be plenty of options for configuration.

Edited by Rustic Ade
  • Like 2

The bits so far. Have monkied about putting the rock sliders on, moved the battery tray forward, just playing about till I get the axles and can really get started.

Seems ok to my novice eyes. It'll keep me busy (not quiet) for a while anyway.

16822621814081207334883119018628.thumb.jpg.6acb266adc13de76c078a424a8e52dd8.jpg16822622067843410213871052959580.thumb.jpg.3dfcb21595a6d098d230e6d4a4aacaea.jpg16822622451945681174343051027586.thumb.jpg.9d03fb3769f819016507968ce7d6c030.jpg16822622598146867733707407169924.thumb.jpg.25259adc8694438954179ddc3997014b.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well she's fighting all the way but am loving the challenge of this kit.

No idea if I'll end up with a functional truck.

Seem to be issues everywhere with clearance and angles but nothing rearrangement, an angle grinder, and leverage hasn't fixed yet.

Currently 'modifying' the front motor mount to give the axle mounted servo some more space.

16843256636078800377217538777570.thumb.jpg.d18d240f6d9dee1eb752e96e438d5a3d.jpg

16843256271246227664976071932085.thumb.jpg.23834910bc9991fe849973721a85d9ec.jpg

• Like 2