• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Good afternoon from Milton Keynes

HayWayne

Just a quick hello from me

47 yr old dad from MK, looking to fix/upgrade my son's Ripmax Husky.

I've enjoyed RC cars ever since I was a kid, but never really 'got into' them - just the occasional present over the years. I grew up around cars (big ones) as my dad was a mechanic, so I was always helping him out - back when they were just engines, gearboxes and chassis with a few wires for lights and such - so I'm hoping that'll stand me in good stead for this job.

I'm currently at the 'taking it all apart' stage, trying to see if there's anything obvious as to why it doesn't work (it just kind of 'twitches' when you try and operate it). Then 'll go through replacing various parts on the process of elimination - but seems there are a few parts that are either discontinued or just very hard to find and possibly not worth replacing as they cost almost half the cost of the car complete (this part for example; https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/177005/?gclid=CjwKCAjwiOCgBhAgEiwAjv5whIfXvTX_28tPubhzSSn2QpRXVfdg6LujLgXHHkqVXw3kPAOt_VBllBoCJPkQAvD_BwE).

Looking forward to picking brains, and finding out new things that I haven't even considered.

Cheers for now.

Wayne

Welcome HayWayne!

Just down the road over in Oxford here.

Are you fixing/upgrading for your son? If so I question if it is worth it to try and fix or upgrade? You could end up spending more on fixing than its worth. Also think you will struggle to get the parts.

What about a new car? There are tons of suggestions I am sure people can make. My first thought is something along the lines of the LC Racing cars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, totlxtc said:

Welcome HayWayne!

Just down the road over in Oxford here.

Are you fixing/upgrading for your son? If so I question if it is worth it to try and fix or upgrade? You could end up spending more on fixing than its worth. Also think you will struggle to get the parts.

What about a new car? There are tons of suggestions I am sure people can make. My first thought is something along the lines of the LC Racing cars.

Cheers! Spent a lot of my youth in nearby Didcot and Abingdon.

I'm looking to fix it first - but on discovering that there are seemingly no replacement servos or motors in stock anywhere, I figured there might be some swap-outs I could use - so essentially an 'upgrade'. In the same way that I can't seem to find a replacement shock assembly. The ones on the car currently are plastic, and one of the little posts that stick through the shell (where the pins go through to hold it on) has snapped off, and I can only seem to find metal ones - so again, and 'upgrade' maybe... 🤣

I was hoping to get this one back working with as little cost as possible, given my son flits from one thing to another - so likely me spending upward of £100 would be wasted money.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HayWayne said:

Just found the car I first owned. Oh how things have moved on!!! 🤣

https://rctoymemories.com/2016/09/11/metro-taiyo-jet-hopper-1986/

About the same here...

What kicked it all off for me back in late 80s.

s-l1600.thumb.jpeg.1a716b65b98b91df195f79e2510edd39.jpeg

Was really happy with it but so wanted to build a car. In the next following years paper round money funded picking bits up, salvaging parts and ended up with a Madcap/Astute hybrid that was pretty rapid (for the time). 

• Like 1

On 22/03/2023 at 16:58, froggy8 said:

welcome to the forum wayne 🙂 

@.AJ. is it me or does the OP avatar looks bit like you?  just going by the picture you put up on the beard thread.

That's funny - I have a bearded pal, also called AJ, and loves his RC cars, but not the same person. 🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HayWayne said:

That's funny - I have a bearded pal, also called AJ, and loves his RC cars, but not the same person. 🤣

😄 what a coin-ka-dink! 

yeah AJ is one of the good guys on here.

I once seen a white van with AJ written on it and i mentioned this to AJ on here and he told me its a common name. i knew it wasnt him but at the time it was funny 😄