• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

advice on nitro good or a pain ?

dye29

hi all I had loads of rc nitro cars and buggy's when I was younger a good ten years ago so didn't really have a clue with engines ect so I never ever had them running right at all so put me off until now im back and hoping it was me been dumb or are nitro cars a pain in ass to run , do you have too adjust carb every outing . how do you know what fuel too use and glow plugs I could of had it all wrong before who knows all I know they were a nightmare too start then once started 5 mins then cuts out and never starts .

im fancying buying either hpi wr8 nitro or a hpi trophy if people convince me nitro is good if not electric .

• Like 1

nitro isn't a pain at all, if you understand how they work. Before you start adjusting things, or changing plugs, take some time to understand how they work and what the changes do. If I have a nitro that I use regularly, and its a decent engine with no air leaks etc, then the most it would need is a slight adjusmtne on the high speed, maybe a tad on the low. 

• Like 1

Dont get one with a used engine as it will be hit or generally miss due to unknown history. Break in new engine gently, prewarm engine to about 200F and try to keep it there, hsn needle is main flow needle and controls mid-top rpm, lsn for idle and initial acceleration. Read engine manual for recommended idle gap and glow plug spec and basic needle settings.  Common problems with used unkown engines, wont hold stable idle, suddenly stalls when up to temp, adjusting needles does not give expected change in performance. Issues can be carb leaks, worn needle orings, worn piston/sleeve with reduced compression when up to temp. 

• Like 1

main thing with nitro is noise even getting a new one broken in can be a massive pain if neighbours come out shouting, dad has a hpi trophy im gonna completely strip it as the parts are super expensive and it was getting leaked on in a dodgy shed, hpi are in a precarious position and are not what they used to be unfortunatly.

leccies are a lot faster than any nitro now and a lot more quiet, i converted my hobao hyper 7 black to leccy and havent looked back, the power of 8 scale brushless motors is super stupid 😄

before the pandemic a hyper vse 100 amp rtr that runs on 4s could be had for 325 quid 🙂

we still have a few nitros but we never use them.

get a hobao st over a trophy any day, its more robust and parts are more plentiful and a lot cheaper 🙂

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobao-hyper-st-truggy-rtr-26445

heres a video of the hyper st i bought second hand that also came with a esc and motor for a amazing price, it runs good and used to be nitro, that is just 4s and i was going easy on it as first run , the esc i got with it can use 6s 🙂

Edited by Yrkoon
  • Like 1