• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

OLED Multiprotocol module for RC cars - quick test

will83

A quick test of a DIY multirprotocol module prototype with OLED screen.

The OLED driver needs a rewrite. Building a firmware is too complicated at the moment if you don't know the MULTI source code. The problem is the lack of memory (even on the STM target) and you have to configure and store the protocol names and sub protocol names inside the binary. OpenTX reads the values from an sd card (Multi.txt). I believe Pascal (Multi dev)  already tested targets with more memory (256/512kb).

Maybe the MULTI devs or someone else (TBS, Flysky, Flywoo, BETAFPV, Happymodel, ..,) could implement an efficient OLED driver. Mine is just a quick and dirty hack. Nothing I could share (yet).

mcu: Atmega328p 16 MHz (Arduino)
rf chips: nrf24l01, cc2500, A7105, CYRF6936
screen: 0.96″ OLED display
software update: USBasp, Arduino as ISP (internal port) or via OpenTX (4 pin port)
channel order, directions: channel order changed to AETR and the directions too (if necessary for an individual protocol), and for any rc car protocol: steering always on channel 1 (aileron) and throttle on channel 2 (elevator).

Multiprotocol module Github: https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Multiprotocol-TX-Module

• Like 1

When you say module, how does it interface with the transmitter? Are you just reading the pot positions or using something downstream? I really hope OpenTX or EdgeTX will come to a trigger and wheel transmitter soon.

Edited by lorrylemming
  • Like 1