• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New transmitter recommendations

BigGinge

I run pretty much all of my cars from a single Flysky GT5 transmitter at the moment. If it’s just me out with a car that’s all well and good but as the collection expands I’ve been thinking it would be good to have a second transmitter to use so that me and the boy could take two cars out trailing/racing at the same time.

I got a bit of money for Christmas so figured I may as well put this towards a new Tx. Only issue is this means I now need to make a decision on what to buy. 

The cheap/boring option would just be to pick up another GT5. It does everything I need a Tx to do and could use it with all the Rx units I’ve already got installed in the cars. 

The other option would be to spend a bit more money and get a new mid-range system and then pick a few cars to move over to it.

I’ve never used a higher end set than my GT5 so I don’t really know what the more expensive radio would be like in use. If I did get a new radio I think I’d want something that has at least six channels for the TRX4 and it would ideally “feel” nicer in the hand that what I have now. I think based on this I’d probably be looking at the Flysky Noble or Wfly X9 from some initial research (possibly a bit of a gamble on the X9 as there aren’t loads of reviews out there) .

So, what would you kit do in this situation? Stick with the GT5 or get something nicer? If you went for the nicer option what model would you go with?

Edited by BigGinge

I think I’d rather stick with a wheel controller for the cars. The extra channels are (currently) only used for fairly simple things like lights, gearbox and locking diffs so don’t need any particularly fancy controls on the handset. 

Edited by BigGinge
  • Like 1

With a large fleet of cars I'd try to stick with one brand of receiver, so I'd go with the Noble, GT5 or a G7P which seems to be the replacement for the GT5. Obviously check all your current receivers will work with the Noble or G7P first because Flysky have changed protocol over the years and I don't know what is backwards compatible.

Unfortunately the GT5, Noble and G7P all use different protocols that are incompatible with each other. So if I want to keep using my current Rx units I don’t have much choice but to stick with the GT5. 

I think the Noble Rx units start at about £32 each (compared to about £16 each for the GT5 compatible ones) and the G7P ones are £18 ish. The noble does come with two receivers in the box though which might be enough to get me started, possibly with one extra 8 channel Rx for the TRX4. 

As a quick update I’ve decided to just get another GT5 for now. It’s only cost me £57 and means I don’t have to bother swapping out any Rx units for now. 

If I ever get the chance to try a Noble I might change my mind but not sure how I’ll be able to do that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BigGinge said:

As a quick update I’ve decided to just get another GT5 for now. It’s only cost me £57 and means I don’t have to bother swapping out any Rx units for now. 

If I ever get the chance to try a Noble I might change my mind but not sure how I’ll be able to do that. 

Dont blame you. Sensible idea

• 1 month later...

Old thread but similar issue.

I use a Spektrum dx3s on my cars but not sure what way to go to enable someone else to take a car out. Is there an easy way to 'pair' tx to rx these days so I could pick and choose which tx to use with which rx?

I think all the Tx/rx combinations I’ve looked at would require you to bind the two whenever you wanted to switch a car between transmitters. 

Having said that binding does only take a few seconds if you have easy access to the rx unit.  If all of your Tx/rx units are compatible you can keep all of the model settings for each of you cars in their own memory spot on all of the transmitters (this is what I’ve done for my five cars on my two GT5 transmitters). This would mean you could easily switch a car between any one of the associated memory banks on your controllers by quickly pairing them when you stick the battery in.