• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Willashcroft's 1/16 Traxxas return

willashcroft

So it's been a few years since I last posted on here, or even owned an RC!

Spending money on full size cars, moving to the other side of the world, life seemed to have changed...

Until the idea of getting another RC popped into the back of my mind. Had a look on marketplace, there's definitely not as much choice as back home, and everything seems more expensive. I considered another Slash 4x4, probably one of my favourite RCs I've owned. However realistically, they are too big, don't fit into a normal backpack, and especially if I want to tire the dogs out and wipe one of them out (They're Frenchies, and stupid)

It had to be Traxxas, specifically a Mini E-Revo, which I owned one 12 years ago. Me being young, silly and poor meant that it was only a matter of time before I realised it wasn't the best basher on 3s (absolutely ridiculous) and broke something every time I drove it, and couldn't afford to keep fixing it. 

Traxxas Mini E-Revo Double Backflip - 15 Mar 2010

Fast forward to last week, and a notification came up from marketplace. "Traxxas 1/16th Summit". Close enough, I could just swap the shell, wheels, rocker arms, right?

Picked it up, it's well used, dirty, quite a bit of play in the knuckles, but it's a good start.

xATHWt2.jpg

RTOj6S2.jpg

FABZaT9.jpg

Had a quick drive of it, very high centre of gravity, rolled over a few too many times then broke a front plastic diff yoke whilst making a clicking noise. Classic Traxxas things! 

Whilst waiting for parts, I decided to strip it down, clean everything, fit the mini erevo rockers to lower it, fit new bearings, refill the shocks and check the diffs.

Both are chewed up. Delightful. Chucked it back together, shimmed the diffs, and hope they don't implode as no-one seems to have stock of them in Australia. 

p9Q6A0H.jpg

D8fgHm0.jpg

JyG28ff.jpg

A week later, this popped up.... $150 off Facebook. Again, not a mini e-revo, but bearing in mind that new diffs are $50 each, the electrics are well worth the rest, not to mention the gearbox and driveline components I can keep spare. Diffs are in brand new condition. 

LvqfJa2.jpg

ljpgRkF.jpg

zfwJlHS.jpg

More to come.... 

iQso36z.jpg

Broken stuff so far:

1x Diff output yoke

1x Driveshaft

Edited by willashcroft
Fixing photos
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

Wait, you live in Australia now? Fair play.

Welcome back! I went down the 1/16th Rabbit hole recently haha, I just found them too much on 3s.

Been living here for 4 years, originally visited as a backpacker for a year, went home and lasted 6 months before making the decision to pack my life into a box/bag and move to Melbourne. 😎

11 hours ago, ReggieC said:

Welcome back mate! I started up again the summer, is a bit more fun not being a cash strapped teenager and being able to afford spares 😂

Looks like you need a 1/16 slash to complete the set now?!

Honestly I think that's the secret formula to enjoying RCs, having disposable income 😂 Buy enough spares and it's non stop fun, even when something breaks.

I think I'll pass on the slash, they look too small/narrow, and definitely not as fun as the 1/10th version!

8 hours ago, 53HRA said:

Wahey it’s Will! Welcome back mate.

Another original ‘MSUK chat’ member returns :lol: 

Manny! ❤️

Good to be back on here, although chat will always be missed 😢

Edited by willashcroft

3 hours ago, Nick said:

Welcome back. 😄 What's the RC scene like in Aus???

If you're back in UK for Christmas bring it with you and lets go bashing. :lol:

There's a few groups/tracks around, although I've never really seen anyone about with them! 

These 2 are enough fun to blast around with though 

PXL_20221128_084324804.jpg

So the rally has been stripped down completely, and I had the idea of dying the spare chassis and rocker arms all black for the stealth look.  I never liked the blue front rpm arms on the summit, and the red toe/tension rods were just a test, but still came out great. 

59BmWOf.jpg 

WqPjGcv.jpg

a8jhGJn.jpg

Nu2ISv9.jpg

So the summit is actually going to stay like this for now, the black chassis and shell is going to be used on this!

IKKNC95.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So Christmas came early by 2 weeks, the MERV arrived!

Quickly swapped everything over, already had new shimmed diffs ready to go in to save time, along with RPM everything. 

O2a4V9A.jpg

iYkyq9K.jpg

0xYCRnw.jpg

l1zTmvm.jpg

MKQSzcj.jpg

B8jjpLD.jpg

The summit has a bit of damage from teeth marks...

3bYU7Pa.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...