• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hello from S.Yorkshire!

ZaphodB

Just a quick intoduction.

My son and I are getting back into 1/10 indoor Touring Car racing after a long hiatus.

We last raced in 2006/6, starting with Tamiya TL-01 (911 bodyshell) then a Schumacher Axis and Mission S1 and my son 'graduating' onto X-Ray FK04 and 05 FoC chassis.

We had great fun - he was a far better driver than me (and faster too) and my role was basically financial backer and pit crew!

On a whim, he decided a fortnight ago to buy two Tamiya TT-02 kits and start racing again (with the aim of also including my 7 y.o. grandson to the hobby) so we could enjoy regular "Boys Night Out" sessions.

Sadly, my grandson wasn't too keen on assembling the car (he just wanted to put the stickers on the - then unpainted - bodyshell).   We took him to a club meeting earlier this week but he rapidly became frustrated when the car kept stopping on track during the set-up session (because of a transmitter/receiver issue we suspect) and the fact that he kept steering into the walls of the track and other cars were zooming around.  Still, he'll probably get to enjoy it with more practice.

I have just posted a heap of questions here on LiPo batteries (their care & use) as things have moved on somewhat in the last 16 years.

Below are some pictures of a bodyshell that I painted for my son of a Holden Commodore (we both enjoy watching Aussie V8 Supercars) back in the day.

It was painted by me using hand-made masks produced from pictures grabbed from the internet - there are no decals/stickers inside or out apart from the word 'HOLDEN' on the rear wing.  Everything you see with that one exception has been done in paint on the inside.

image.thumb.jpeg.8b8f797f5cf1c7a53abc431bf67f32bc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.03489e621837b59d80fd2e2480f3524d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5ce7f53be9362206ce02bb6ea12009c3.jpeg

As you can see, it has seen some action!

Based on this car:

Nine legendary liveries

Sadly, we didn't have the Mobil 1, Holden or NGK stickers!

Anyhow, enough from me for now.

Happy racing,

Zaph

Edited by ZaphodB
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, PraetoR said:

Hello and welcome!

Touring car racing is the bee's knees, I really wish it was still popular. You're lucky to have a club nearby you that still does it. Enjoy and keep us informed of how you do. :good:

Agreed - kind of infectious.  Even when I was Chlef Mechanic and Team Sponsor I found it gripping.

We used to have four (or possibly even five) local clubs - Dronfield Sports Centre (Sat), Stocksbridge Sports Centre (Sun), Stocksbridge Scout Hut (Thurs)- run by the same guy, Don Valley Stadium (Fri), Unstone (Thurs - I think) and Concord Sports Centre (never went).

Now we are down to three (Eckington/Killamarsh Sports Centres - alternate weeks, same club -Eckington Civic Raceway), Unstone RCCC (small but still going) and Steel City R/C at High Green.

I don't count the club at Doncaster Touring Car Club (DTCC) or Chesterfield Auto Racing Society (CARS) at 28 and 27 miles away respectively to be "close". 

Zaph