• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hello from the Far North

Ptarmigan

Hello All

This is my first post.  I am not sure if I am in the right place even being on the forum, so I wonder if you can point me in the direction of the sub-forum that I am looking for, or perhaps the exit door!

I would like an artic tractor unit and trailer to use as a teaching/learning aid for truck and trailer reversing exercises.  I have looked at the scale models sub-forum, and have looked around for prices at model retailers, but I was seeing totals around £2,000, which is overkill for what I need.  I think that RC would be a good idea.  I know that the truck needs working steering, which is why I don't just buy a die cast model.  I need to know the scale of the truck to convert what is on the ground to the layout that I will need to mark out on the floor.  Back in the old days I had a car, I can't remember the model.  It had a sterring wheel coming out of the roof, which operated the steering.  That sort of thing in the shape of a truck would be perfect and probably much cheaper, but I am not aware of anything like this existing these days, hence probably needing RC, but maybe you know better?

Any advice will be warmly welcomed.

Thanks

Tamiya 1/12 trucks sound like what you want. The kits start around £350 to £500 and you will need basic servos for steering and 3 speed gearbox. Also a brushed ESC. They usually come with a basic brushed motor that gets you going. Then add a nimh batter and radio gear. 

The trailers are a tiny bit cheaper for genuine Tamiya ones. 

Most people would probably recommend Tamiya products for your application but you should also consider Hercules Hobby as they are Chinese clones and much cheaper for something similar in concept.  Both are 1:14 scale and their ranges include tractor units (Euro or US style) and semi-trailers (box, tanker, flat bed, reefer, etc).  By the way, they usually come as kits so will need assembling/painting along with the necessary radio control equipment.  Of course there are "toy grade" articulated trucks available for significantly less money but these won't have proportional controls so will be much harder to use for demonstration and teaching purposes.