• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Something of a return...

ReggieC

18 hours ago, PraetoR said:

So much racing! And I'm still envious of you going TC racing.

Yeah I'm loving it! If I pick up a GT12, LMP or Mini, I've got a couple of options on a Wednesday and Thursday locally too! 

I need to get over to some of the astro tracks they're hosting the regionals on soon to see how much of a difference that is running 2wd there.

• Like 1

So work on the R3G this week to get ready for today revolved around changing oils over. Not for any main reason, just to know exactly where it's at. 450cst in the shocks and 4000cst in the rear diff.

Done a couple of laps of practice and the car had a huge amount of rotation, but was really suffering with weight transfer going from high to low speed. I played around with droop during the day but I think I need to go stiffer in the front to stop it.

However, after the initial couple of laps, the car ground to a halt, no power to anything, no magic smoke, nothing disconnected. Very bizarre. Tried bypassing the switch incase it was that, but no luck and with the first heat rapidly approaching, I borrowed a pre-soldered Speedo and motor from a mate and got that installed.

Racing was fun, managed to put it on P1 in the C final again. Had a bit of a mare with coming off worse from collisions with others and everyone else getting faster out of nowhere, but consistent laps made a result that looks a lot better on paper than it felt.

spacer.png

Got finished nice and early today, which I think is the best part of this TC club, it doesn't use up your whole Sunday. I made the most of this and the fact it's actually pretty mild for the first time in ages to paint a shell up that I bought a little while back. 

spacer.png

Bitty Designs Eptein in PS3 light blue and then Translucent Pink as the window tint.

Was a bit disappointed in how my previous shells had turned out, but really delighted with this. The pink adds a bit more to it than just a one colour special!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

well done in the racing and in the new shell mate it looks really good :good:

Yeah I'm delighted with the shell, think it's probably my favourite shell design on the market.

Just bought an XR10 stock spec to replace my 10bl120. Will delve in to see if I can fix it, but can't help but think it's a liability now.

• Sad 1

A healthy racer's meal!

FYI, standing the shocks upright makes the action slightly softer. Leaning them in is what you'd want to do, if you want to stiffen them up.

Although, that slows down the initial reaction.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, PraetoR said:

A healthy racer's meal!

FYI, standing the shocks upright makes the action slightly softer. Leaning them in is what you'd want to do, if you want to stiffen them up.

Although, that slows down the initial reaction.

Only the best!

Tbh, I took the information to put the upright based on what it says on So Dialed for corner-entry oversteer, but I was always under the impression that what you said was correct, certainly from the mechanics of force vectors. Nice to try things out though and get real world experience of itspacer.png

Edited by ReggieC

3 hours ago, PraetoR said:

Interesting. Completely opposite to what my Team Losi XXX-S manual used to say about setting up the car!

The amount of conflicting stuff I find about set up online is unreal so that's not surprising. I've got a relatively good idea on race set up from 1:1 tin tops but there's so much more to translate into RC. Haven't found a really good set up bible for on road that works as a set up aid, not just a 'if you change this, it has this effect' yet.

• 2 weeks later...

So I had 3 race meets this week!

Touring cars on Tuesday and Saturday and then final round of the winter champs at the Outdoor track.

Tuesday night went about as normal, I got a harder spring on the front and went slightly softer on the rear. The carpet dragons really are awesome tyres for the old grey carpet that the smaller clubs still run on, so much grip compared to everything else. I picked up my seemingly now usual P3 on the night. I did however pick up the first breakage for the R3G about 5s into the night! Clipped a barrier (2m of 40x40 pvc downpipe )that hadn't been secured properly right on the end and snapped a wishbone. A few other people have had similar incidents in recent times and they're working on improving how well the track is set up to try stop it. 

spacer.png

Saturday afternoon was at the bigger club. Moved over to some Xenon 28s that I won in a raffle when I raced before, which I've used for a couple of weeks but am a bit dubious on as the carcass seems to move around a lot more over the inserts than other TC tyres I've experienced. Also the first time out for the Eptron shell I painted the other week.

spacer.png

First run of warm up and I had the old T1 problem return of the car just wanting to do a 180 every time I tried to corner with any speed.  As I said, I was dubious about the quality of the tyres so I moved over to some older Contact A30s I had. A mild improvement but the same issue still very present. Another little change in lowering the rear roll centre and it was getting closer to how I wanted.

In my head, the rear end was a little too soft which enabled the rear diff to turn the car too much, so I went one rate harder on the rear springs and that got the car to about where I wanted it! 

Felt pretty good for the day, a couple of tweaks here and there (one rate softer on front springs and changing additive location) getting me faster to the point of sneaking into the B final in p5. The final was probably the best racing I've had since being back. I got tangled up a little on the first lap which put me last, caught up to P5 and we probably had 8-10 laps bumper to bumper. I was a bit faster than him and if I wasn't as friendly with the bloke as I was, there were a couple of times where I got past but there was a little bit of contact after the move and I let him back through. I finally got through 100% clean and pulled away, having a pretty uneventful race for the rest of it. P4 pulled off not long after and unbeknownst to me, P3 had an excursion off the track a couple of times and I ended up finishing P3. Probably my best finish compared to competition so far.

spacer.png

Would need to find nearly half a second a lap on average to compete with the other 2 but I was really happy with that!

• Like 3

Thought I'd split into a second post to make it read a bit better.

Today was the final round of the Winter Championship. There was about 12-13 rounds but only 5 of them were to count. I think I said before that I had no real chance if moving anywhere in 2wd or trucks but there were still some opportunities for other people.

I mentioned changing roll centres on the TC on Saturday, and I did a bit of this on the XB2. Almost like this week was when I finally clocked how they worked and how they can be used! 😬 Weather was a bit all over the place during the day, wet morning but loads of wind dried the track out quickly, a bit of rain before the 4 heat meant basically 4 different tracks through the heats. Qualified in P2 but there was a faster driver behind so realistically P3 was the best outcome. Ran around in P3 for most of the race until the final corner on the penultimate lap where I put it in a barrier trying to take a 'safe line' down the straight which put me in P4. Finished the day there.

Managed to finish P4 overall in the Championship which I'm happy with for my first year back! Was really surprised at the trophy ceremony at the end that due to the number of drivers who had entered 2wd, they'd bought trophies for more than just the top 3. Which means.....

spacer.png

Not quite as good as @PraetoR's P1 the other week but I'm still happy!

No idea where I ended up in Trucks. Slash was once again fun but slow. 7 cars started the day but only 3 of us made it to the final, and one pulled off during that so I ended up 2nd out of the 2 cars that finished the day! Had my own close call with a spur gear getting fully stripped. I think I done some damage to it in the second heat and it finally gave out in the 3rd. Luckily I bought a second spare last time that happened.

spacer.png

A couple of Tuesdays ahead of me, and then I've got a triple header on Easter weekend when the girlfriend is on holiday with her family!

• Like 3