• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Something of a return...

ReggieC

34 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

well done mate :cheers:

Thanks buddy! Definitely feel like I'm a fair bit better round a track now than I used  to be. Probably got a bit more sense on how the cars actually work now. (Or I'm keeping out of the barriers more because it's my wallet that takes the hit after a crash 😂)

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Had an hour or so up the grass track today. I'm sure everyone else has had the near non-stop rain for weeks too, so it was not too unexpected that there was a lot of standing water.

Made a bit of a modification to the track to avoid the worst of it.

spacer.png

Was nice to get them out. Although not sure how much I learnt with the track being so bad and now missing about 1/4 of the infield but I had fun!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Plenty to clean up now though

spacer.png

Off to the indoor track on Tuesday night for a test and tune night before going into a 12 week championship so got a bit of prepping to do with the T1 and maybe see if I can take something else along I've not updated on in a while 

• Like 2

So had a bit of a rebuild of the T1. Back to kit set up, new bearings, 400cst oil all round and rebuilt the ball diffs which were really dry.

Into the test and tune last night. I decided to take the Tyrrell P34 for a run too!

spacer.png

Classes were split into 2 15 minute timed sessions but had a little bit more on either side of that so a decent amount of run time.

Trying out some Contact A30s on the T1 as they're the control tyre for the Retro TC meets and want to be familiar with them before getting to one. They felt a bit slippy to start with but think that was just them getting scrubbed in. After a few minutes I felt pretty consistent apart from a fair amount of lift-off oversteer that caught me out a few times, really worked at rotating the car in at times but worked a bit too well at others!

One of the big selling points of the T1 back in the day was that it had adjustable shock pistons that you could switch from 1-4 holes whilst the shock was still assembled to make quick damping adjustments on the fly. So just to see if it helped, I pulled off and quickly set the rear to full soft. A little better but still not cured.

I clocked between runs that I'd set the wheelbase adjustment the wrong way round when I rebuilt the car, so it was shorter than last time out. I changed that round and went out again. Again, an improvement but still not fixed. My next plan was to play with the rear droop screws to stop a bit of weight transfer to the front. Unfortunately I didn't get round to this as during one of the spin outs, I got clattered and this happened!

spacer.png

Servo case snapped which put it out for the rest of the night. Annoying, but it was a cheap servo and I should be able to put a new upper case on it. I've got another servo on the way just to be safe too.

The P34 was an absolute riot to use. I really wasn't expecting much out of it at all but it went round the little track really well. The silvercan motor was about perfect speed wise and I wouldn't really want to go any faster with it. Was really smooth round the track and probably as quick as most of the other cars there! My concerns of damaging it were unfortunately founded when I had a grip roll that resulted in a freak injury to the driver!

spacer.png

Decapitation, rollover bar and a wing end plate all fell off! Luckily it looks like the glue joint split in all cases and a bit of super glue got them back together.

Once again a really fun night. Car was 'scrutineered' for the next series and I'm very safe on my FDR so I've got a couple of smaller spurs on the way that should set it perfect. I'm sticking with my Core RC fixed timing motor for now, but think I'll probably end up getting something a little quicker as even though my FDR wasn't bang on the limit, I was significantly slower than some of the guys out there.

• Like 2

Not a lot to report from Sunday's racing which got called off after the qualifying heats because of rain. P4 in A final for the XB2 and P3 (out of 3 total) for the Slash.

Slash is getting a bit frustrating to run as it's so mismatched to the other cars in the class. Coupled with outer hinge pins that loosen themselves within a 5 minute run and a intermittent issue that turned out to be a failed solder joint on the battery connection, I'm finding myself being tempted by a 1/8 truggy. This would result in the Slash being pretty unused though as I don't really do any bashing.

At least I remembered to bring a kettle this week.

spacer.png

Both vehicles now sat in the airing cupboard to dry off properly so I don't get any more rust bearings before getting round to clean them.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Bit of a rubbish night last night.

Spent some time in the week trying to sort out corner weights, discovered I had a lot more rearward weight bias so put some wheel weights around to try even things out, hoping this would sort out the very loose rear end.

Unfortunately not. Car was still very lively on the back, both on and off power. First heat was manageable, but on the slower side. So I borrowed some very incognito softer springs for the rear shocks.

spacer.png

Was hoping for a bit of improvement, but seemed to struggle even more which was bizarre. When I pulled off, it was obvious that my front diff wasn't in a very good way. I done a quick rebuild but I later discovered the diff plates are just slipping on the outdrives, so eventually the diff would just fully slip giving me a rear wheel drive car on throttle.

Because of the lack of rear grip, I spent more of the night backwards than forwards. This resulted in the car taking a few hits and my 3d printed battery holder breaking!

spacer.png

The shell has also taken a few knocks and has had a crack in a place I've never seen a TC shell go before.

spacer.png

It felt a bit thin when I was painting it, but it's still new to me. Although to be honest, I'm not too fussed about it getting battered as I hate the paint 😂

I've got a front anti-roll bar on the way to play with to see if that improves thing and think I'll try to make a spool out of one of the spare diffs as pretty much every modern car for years has ran a front spool. Both should hopefully make an impact on the rear end.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Indoor again last night.

Locked diff felt good on the front and definitely tamed the rear down. It's still not great though. I've put some harder springs on the front that have also helped but it's still there. It really looks like there's just too much weight transfer around the front. Annoyingly the front anti-roll bar I bought still hasn't turned up. Private seller on eBay who reckons they have another they're sending this week. I'll believe it when it turns out.

Did manage a P3 in the final though! More through attrition than performance but got to be in it to win it!

spacer.png

Buggies this weekend, midweek indoor and then off to a new club next weekend to do indoor again on a bit of a bigger track!

• Like 2

Got fed up with cleaning half the track out of all the nooks and crannies of the chassis of the Slash every time it ran. Had a little look/measure of some of the 1/8 buggies at the track the other weekend to see if I could rig up something of an underbody.

A bit of search on eBay for a cheap 1/8 bodyshells led to finding one for a BSD (Are they still about?) Which is the perfect width. A bit of an awful colour, but it'll do for an experiment! A bit of trimming and we're here.

spacer.png

Suck on with a bit of dual-lock on each side, but I might try get a proper bodypost on there somewhere.

Also picked up some Lunsford titanium hinge pins. They're held in with E-clips which wasn't my preferred option, but hopefully better than the stock ones.

• Like 2

Picked up a 3D printer finally the other week so have been addressing something on the XB2 that I've never liked too much. The spur 'cover' doesn't offer much in the way of cover for the spur and with it hanging out of the shell, I've always wanted a bit more.

A bit of trial and error refining the fitment...

spacer.png

And I'm currently here.

spacer.png

And looks like this with the shell on

spacer.png

Will give it a test tomorrow to see how it goes!

• Like 3

Quick summary of today's action, sponsored by Batchelor's Cup-A-Soup

spacer.png

spacer.png

3D printed guard lasted, not sure how much more it protected it but I'd like to go a bit further with it.

Underbody worked well, again, might do with some extra help, As it's letting some dirt still through.

spacer.png

Ended up P3 in both classes. Qualified P2 in 2wd but had a return of the interference issues from a few months ago that meant I would never hold P2. Slash actually went really well today, still slowest but keeping up with others with them crashing a bit too.

Whilst trying to run down batteries at the end, I somehow managed to strip a spur jumping, so that'll need to be fixed!

spacer.png

Now the clean up 'fun'...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Shergar said:

That looks a cracker for very little money!

Yeah I'm really happy with it!

I'll try get a few more photos of it this week. Also just clocked there's a TC shell that I've painted and not destroyed but not put a photo in so I'll get that in too!

• Like 1

I did a double-take, when I saw that price!! 😲

What an absolute bargain! I cannot believe you can get a TC like that, for that money! At a glance, I thought you'd bought an expensive Yokomo, Schumacher, or modern XRay. I'm definitely going to have to do some research on this one.

Good work, with your racing! I bet you're really pleased.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PraetoR said:

I did a double-take, when I saw that price!! 😲

What an absolute bargain! I cannot believe you can get a TC like that, for that money! At a glance, I thought you'd bought an expensive Yokomo, Schumacher, or modern XRay. I'm definitely going to have to do some research on this one.

Good work, with your racing! I bet you're really pleased.

I was a bit dubious when I first found it but everything I could fund about it was green flags. I called up Team Powers who I think are the main (possibly sole) UK importer and they were superb answering all my questions on it.

I think there's an amount of design borrowed from xray in there, I think RaceOpt started off doing mid-motor conversion kits for xrays. But I don't think that's a bad thing. There's plenty of options to upgrade this to their higher spec models too with carbon chassis kits, lcg shock tower kits, carbon wishbone all available.

I'm really excited to get more familiar with it. There's a pretty active Facebook support group with the guys from team powers and some team drivers from Asia that seem to be helping everyone out. I've managed to find out what all the kit oils are from there and will be making a few adjustments as I go!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...