• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

New guy in need of help - FTX any good?

Hello all 

Just wanted to really jump on and ask for some advice really.

I would like to get into RC, I've had a look and as much as I want to get into it I want to start off with a budget model, play with it, break it, upgrade it.

Just to get into the swing of things before I delve deeper. 

I was toying with the idea of the Maverick brand but the truggy I'd like is £200 for itself and I don't want to spend that money just yet 

So I've looked and came across the FTX which seems to tick all the boxes 

As far as I can see there arent really any common issues on them and parts do seems readily available, I think they are a clone of another RC brand HBX?

Just really wanted to ask; are their any common problems?

It seems like the brushless version is not available, well from what I can see, so how would the brush motor handle a lipo? 

Besides from upgrading to oil shocks are there any other mods worth doing?

And finally I am so torn between the truggy and the MT.  So I would love to see some pictures of what you guys have to help!

Thank you

2 hours ago, shahidali619 said:

Hello all 

I would like to get into RC, I've had a look and as much as I want to get into it I want to start off with a budget model, play with it, break it, upgrade it.

I did exactly this with a ftx vantage which is very similar to the carnage, I have broken it and upgraded it and enjoyed the process. There are shed loads of spares available at reasonable prices and lots of hop-ups to upgrade as the plastic bits break. Can’t comment on the brushed running gear as I have the brushless version but the upgrade to brushless will cost you about £50 if you decide to do that. All in all I would say they are good value for money.

check out the 

if you want to have a look at what it is all about.
enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/03/2022 at 19:55, shahidali619 said:

Hello all 

Just to get into the swing of things before I delve deeper. 

I was toying with the idea of the Maverick brand but the truggy I'd like is £200 for itself and I don't want to spend that money just yet 

So I've looked and came across the FTX which seems to tick all the boxes 

As far as I can see there arent really any common issues on them and parts do seems readily available, I think they are a clone of another RC brand HBX?

Just really wanted to ask; are their any common problems?

It seems like the brushless version is not available, well from what I can see, so how would the brush motor handle a lipo? 

Besides from upgrading to oil shocks are there any other mods worth doing?

And finally I am so torn between the truggy and the MT.  So I would love to see some pictures of what you guys have to help!

Thank you

Maverick are owned by HPI who are currently having a bit of fall from grace. I've just put a Maverick Quantum Flux up for sale as I'm sick of repairing it.