• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Element RC Enduro based Pre-Runner Build - Take 2

Cuiken

Minor update:

Best laid plans and all that. So, a delightful idiosyncrasy of the element RC chassis/Stealth X trans is that the motor needs to run CW for the truck to move forward. Naturally, CCW is the 'norm'. 

Ordinarily no issue. You'd just swap the motor wires on a brushed/sensorless brushless rig or program the ESC in a sensored rig. But wait... the 10BL120 has no motor polarity reverse function. So, turns out, not really an ideal choice for this project. That said, there's not a lot of other choice out there without importing a MambaX from the US. I'm also not a huge fan of the AXE combo's for non-crawling applications. Tried one in my Wendigo and it was terrible.

So, to make this work I 'think' I can just lift out the whole trans, and drop it back in rotated 180 degrees. This should reverse the motor direction. Unfortunately this leaves me with overdrive on the rear axle (very bad) but I have some spare gears that I can use to convert the trans to have no overdrive (which I think makes more sense on a pre-runner anyway). If I want to add overdrive later, there's a conversion shaft that Element sell.

Only question is, if this works,  why Element didn't make this the stock orientation in the first place? It would save quite a few headaches down the line for the truck to run with a standard motor direction.  

Edited by Cuiken

Mounted the motor and ESC last night and gave it a test run around the kitchen. Still only front wheel drive until the new driveshaft parts turn up but really just wanted to check it runs in the right direction.

Good news (for me at least). Forward runs forwards. Given how easy this was, and that it didn't seem to affect the weight distribution at all, why is this not the stock orientation? Strange.

Anyway, what I gleaned was that it basically runs fine. I only ran 2S, and it was wheel spinning all the time, but I'm still concerned it might be a bit slow. This probably makes sense given it's a 3040kv motor. My actual crawler runs 2800kv in more or less the same chassis and it's not exactly flying.

I'll see how it does once there rear wheels are driven. There's probably some scope for pinioning up a bit but I'll need to be careful of temps. Any tips on getting a bit more safe speed out of this thing gratefully received.

Otherwise though, it's looking good. I still haven't booked up the sway bar and it is delightfully leary in its handling. Really moves like a big old truck. On 3S though I'll probably need to reduce roll a bit so I'll hook it up later on today for another test.

• Like 3

Got the driveshaft extension today and took it out for a quick test run (no body shell) on 3S and with a 22T pinion instead of the stock 18T one.

I've also hooked up the sway bar. This was a bit of a fiddle so I'll post pics later.

Anyway, test run was pretty successful. The suspension works an absolute treat. With a heavy 3S 6000mah battery on board, the chassis glided over bumpy stuff at full speed and cornered without too much body roll. Sure, the 'crawler' 45 degree steering means you don't want to go full lock at full speed but that's to be expected. 

Couple of minor 'jumps/whoops' showed the landing to be incredibly plush and properly damped.

Really impressed by how it's working out.

Top speed was still a fraction low but the motor was only a little warm so I'm hoping that I'll be able to get to the speed I want by running a 24T pinion and 72T spur (vs stock 87T). This should get me an extra 30% speed topping out around 13mph (vs 10mph at the moment). I'll give that a bash later.

If that still doesn't do the trick I might spring for a 10.5T (3600kv) motor instead (should give another 20% speed).

So, bit of tidying up to do and then on to the body work!

• Like 3

Thanks!

Todays update is simpler. I swapped in the 'blue' springs on the rear and think they feel about right. The shock oil (350CST I believe) might be a wee bit stiff though as the rebound is a bit slow. Easy fix later on if I want to change it.

Irritating miscalculation on my part though is that when I fitted the 72T spur and 24T pinion I found that there's not enough range of adjustment to get them to mesh (about a 1mm gap between them). So, ordered a 75T spur with some 26T and 28T pinions.

As to my concerns about heat, it occurred to me that my TRX6 runs a 3300KV AXE combo and is geared for ridiculous speed in it's 'high gear'. No heat issues there. Pretty sure I'm running the stock 45T spur with a 9T pinion and, I believe, the transmission reduction (inc diffs) is 6.32 in high gear. That would give a theoretical top speed of ~16.5mph which feels about right because it really shifts.

I don't think I can get anywhere near the same final transmission ratio out of a truck using the StealthX box (even with a smaller spur) so I'm guessing it shouldn't be too hot. Again, a quick calc suggests that a 28T pinion and 75T spur should only give 14.7mph which is a good chunk slower than my heavier TRX6 is running. I'm going to be optimistic .

• Like 1

An absolutely wonderful job, - but you ‘lost’ me at the first turn….. one day I might be able to do it but right now I’m a raw beginner with my R to R Double E 1/8 D110 Defender project.

Jim

So I fitted some class 1 tyres onto an old set of Element RC rims and tried them out last night. I'm really not sure which I prefer. Help me out with some opinions...

oXx2U7f.jpg

oqxCi3z.jpg?1

syK7LiR.jpg

6UJz2No.jpg

They give the truck a really different look. In both cases, the back wheels sit a bit too 'inboard' but, to me, the wee 1.55" ones have a sportier appearance. I think it's maybe just that they look chunkier because they're slightly wider than the class1 tyres.

Meanwhile, the Class1 wheels/tyres, to me, look great in gold and have a more 'off road' kind of vibe.

Polling for opinions on this!

• Like 1

I'm probably on board with the gold wheels option. Playing devil's advocate though, there was a 'big truck small wheels' kind of thing going on in the '70s/'80s that I think the 1.55" wheels do sort of capture:

JLwDcRB.png

QUQeRkS.png

up3Jsib.png

Whether that actually makes for a decent RC truck though is a different matter 🙂 

• Like 1

So the 75T spur and 26T pinion turned up on Saturday and I was able to put the whole thing together and  take it out for a quick run.

First thing's first, the speed was spot on. 13.5T (~3000kv) motor with the gearing above and class1 tyres (~105mm). Theoretically ~14mph and I'd say that was about right. Right on the edge of what the chassis can handle (especially with a large body shell). No heat issues at all with the motor or ESC and low speed control was surprisingly decent. Handling wise, loads of body roll when corning (to be expected) but also tons of torque twist and loads of torque steer.

Took me a while to figure the latter out but basically it's the bump steer from the IFS interacting with the torque twist from the rear axle under acceleration. As the chassis twists, it loads one of the front wheels causing additional toe in on that side so truck swerves off in the opposite direction. Without the sway bar, I suspect it would  become very difficult to drive. I was almost thinking a gyro might be a plan but ultimately went for the Bowhouse IFS upgrade (N2R IFS Steering Rack V2). Cheap shipping from the US with Amain.

Additionally, I needed to make a wee mod to the battery tray to accommodate the larger wheels. With the larger tray in place, the wheels would rub on its corners under full lock and compression. To be honest it already rubbed with the wee 1.55" wheels but it got pretty bad with the class1 wheels. Easy mod with a Dremel as below:

Xm0MWel.jpg

You still get some contact but it doesn't 'grab' the tyre now.

Ultimately, I'm really pleased  with the truck. I got a chance to run it on some snow and ice on Sunday morning and it was brilliant fun. The rear suspension is fantastic  and it just glides over bumpy stuff in a way that my traditional crawler doesn't. Once I've sorted the bump steer, added a rear bumper mod and, possibly, stepped the wheels out by a couple of mm, I'm looking forward to trying it out on some proper trails.

Just as a very general observation, I'm a bit of a fan of the Element stuff (this is my second and I'm thinking about a third truck based around the gatekeeper kit). You can generally pick up a bargain somewhere and the key components are fairly solid. They are really easy to mod either with home made parts or aftermarket stuff (which suits me). And, they are really nice to drive. There's something very realistic about the way they move over terrain (especially with a bit of added wheel weight).  All that said though, they seem to make odd mistakes with all their kits. Just a few irritating features I've noted:

1. On my original crawler (Enduro Sendero) the wheelbase of the truck is too short for the body. In the end I bought the club5 links to sort it out. How'd they miss this?

2. Again, on my Sendero, the wheel rub on the body shell was terrible. Even with smaller tyres you get a load of rub on full lock. In the end I did a load of cutting before the wheels did it for me.

3. On the IFS trucks, you will get the wheel rub on the battery tray (as mentioned above).

4. The IFS has the well known issue with bump steer and over extension that you can sort with the Bowhouse kit.

All this is the sort of stuff (body fit, wheel rub etc) you expect if you're modding an RTR or doing a 'ground up' build. It seems odd from an RTR out of the box. You just don't get any of these issues with a TRX4. It's a shame as these are not issues that you might associate with 'cost reduction' they are just design flaws. You can sort most of them one way or another but it's a bit weird that they don't just work properly out of the box.

Anyway, I'll update fully once it's properly finished.

Edited by Cuiken
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few more wee updates on the build. My Bowhouse parts arrived along with an Artful Dodger skid plate. As mentioned, the Bowhouse kit was to improve the bump steer and comes with a pair of the bump stops to prevent over extension of the steering. The skid plate was because the truck runs a lot faster than probably intended and bottoms out on larger bumps. The stock skid was already looking pretty scarred after just a couple of test runs.

I considered trying to make these parts up myself from aluminium (as I did with the trailing arm mounts) but, ultimately, I decided to consider my own 'hourly rate' when figuring out whether self fabricating was going to be worthwhile. With cheap shipping from Amain, the Bowhouse kit was a definite no brainer and the Artful Dodger skid is stainless steel which I think will work much better than the aluminium sheet I have to hand.

So, here are a few pics of the finished chassis.

LCnNcu9.jpg?1

I cut out a piece of scale checker plate to make an insert for the front bumper. It hides the mess I made when drilling holes to mount the front spots. It's funny the stuff you get most satisfaction from 🙂 

tRCvWvZ.jpg

Bowhouse kit installed:

7uz3rG5.jpg

I added a brass tube with threaded rod to better brace the shock mounts. It's really  stiffened up the chassis too:

1LQeJvW.jpg

I also used some short pieces of brass tube to extend the Vanquish bumper mounts. The tube I bought had an ID of 7.5mm and the bumper mounts fitted really nicely with just friction fit. 

3UrJXz0.jpg

Viewed with the shell on, you can see the bumper now sits really neatly inside the shell:

oMQtBEl.jpg?1

o3Comcx.jpg?1 

Shot showing the installed skid and a clearer angle on the checker plate:

tGnb0E6.jpg

And, lastly a totally unnecessary shot of the rear diff cover after I painted it silver. Like I say, it's daft the stuff you take most satisfaction from but this looks awesome with the shell on.

ar6mWjy.jpg

No pics but I also shimmed the front and rear axles to reduce the usual Enduro axle slop and rebuilt the shocks(!?).

Which leads me to that last wee update. All four shocks leaked right out of the box. I was surprised as my other RTR Enduro never did this. Seems that some do and some don't. Either way, I filed a ticket with Element RC support on a Sunday night and had a full shock rebuild kit on Tuesday! You can't really fault the service.

Interesting feature of the rebuild kit is that it includes additional washers that are not included in the Trailrunner, Trailwalker or Sendero but which are included in the Gatekeeper. They fit after the two shock shaft silicon O-rings and add a bit more compression and support to the o-rings. Looks like they have been added to help prevent leaks:

ztIYp6j.png

So, only outstanding tasks are to shim the rear diff itself (to help with the higher power) and then add a few more decals.

Spring seems to be coming so I should be right on time.

Edited by Cuiken
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Shergar said:

This is really quite a machine, every update I like what your have done even more 👍

Thanks! I've really enjoyed this build.

Not rushing it at all and figuring out which parts to buy/fab. I'm really busy this week but am hoping to give it a proper run at the weekend. The short tests around the garden both with and without the shell have been really promising.

• Like 1

And I think it's done! Decals applied (too much?) and shimmed the rear diff (just a 0.1mm shim behind the pinion). Pics below:

QR4Qga7.jpg

d4O7awF.jpg

MhoqMGa.jpg

OtoYGUC.jpg

xsyTHwn.jpg?1

And one last shot showing the painted rear diff cover (which I'm still far too pleased with).

xXtCsar.jpg

How does it drive?

Well, the weekend was pretty wet (and rather busy) so I was limited to back yard bashing. That said, I had a good blast with it ion the time I had available. Now, I'm bound to be a bit biased but I'd say it's a properly great RC truck. The handling is incredibly realistic, even better than my Kyosho Outlaw Rampage Pro and the top speed of ~13mph is spot on. The truck uses the entirety of its suspension travel over our very bumpy lawn and the IFS adds a degree of higher speed control that you don't get on a solid axle crawler. Sure, you can get it to tip over very easily but then so would a real truck if you turned the steering to full lock at full throttle. That's the charm. Damping with the stock oil is pretty much where you'd want it to be, just the right side of controlled (just).

All in, probably the most successful build I've done so far (given the original aim to build a realistic scale pre-runner). As far as I can tell there is no RTR or kit quite like this which also makes it a bit special. Given you can still get the base truck (trailrunner) at discounted prices right now, I'd definitely recommend building one up if you have the inclination.

P.S. I should acknowledge not all went well though. After 20 minutes of driving the threaded pin that holds the drive shaft onto the transmission output somehow came loose (I swear I threadlocked it). The construction of the Element drive shafts is such that the whole universal joint came apart and I lost some bits of it in the lawn. At £30 for replacement parts I have to say that stung a bit. I'll be gluing the pins in next time.

• Like 3