• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Starter FPV drone

Nick

I've been considering getting into FPV drones for a while, the idea of actually piloting a flying thing in FPV seems exciting to me and might even give me a bit of an adrenaline kick? 😄

I do like the full FPV cinematic setups with GoPros and I think this is the direction I would like to head towards.

But first, I just want to try FPV out and wanted something cheap just to give it a go, what would people recommend as a setup, or RTR? No budget but keep in mind this is just for me to get a taste.

Also, how good quality are the top spec FPV goggles/cameras when you are flying, is it actually high-definition clear? I don't want such a setup yet but I'm curious how immersive they are.

Thanks.

well worth trying nick that fpv feeling is insane !! Fpvs split  nowadays between digital and analog  the newer digital systems are pure HD  ( dji,sharkbyte) while the older analog arent but still good enough to fly with 👍

check out some of the rtr emax stuff nick the tinytrainer and tinyhawk quads small easy to fly etc .

i got back into it with one of these 

https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/collections/emax-all-products/products/emax-tinyhawk-ii-freestyle-fpv-racing-drone-rtf

runs 1s and 2s lipos and very easy to setup 👍i ended up changing the electrics on mine to TBS for further distance.

my advice is if you havent flown a drone before id to pick up a cheapie to fly round and get the hang out of it though nick as learning in FPV is alot easier but a time will come when u may need to line of sight it back etc 

30 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

i was going to recommend this:

https://www.holystone.com/en/Drones/Advanced/HS120DFPVDronewithGPS.html

got all the functions you get from a much pricier quad and its cheap too.

29 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

@Nickif it helps, you can borrow mine 🙂 

Is this the one you have? I was looking for true FPV with Goggles, thanks so much for the kind offer. 🙂

• Like 1

I’d get a used transmitter off Facebook (something like a taranis qx7, x9 lite etc. or even one of the multi protocol jobbers).

And then some £50 box headset/goggles and something like an eachine trashcan/happymodel mobula 7 from China as a starter/dipping toes in water setup.

On 2s at 50% max throttle it’s good for indoors or on max throttle it’ll be good for outdoors. 

Analog video is nowhere near as good as hd but it’s also nowhere near the cost - £50 goggles and £10 all in one vtx/camera as bottom end vs £500+ goggles and £100+ camera/vtx.

If you then decide you like it there  are bazillions of quads available (including building your own) as well as goggle upgrade options/hd options and you’d already have a suitable transmitter/usable basic headset.

• Like 1

Bear in mind that most of the stuff sold in the uk “stores” originated in China anyway so if you can deal with the wait times then order from China, if you are in a rush and are feeling flush then order from the uk 👍🏻

1 hour ago, Nick said:

Is this the one you have? I was looking for true FPV with Goggles, thanks so much for the kind offer. 🙂

yeah nick i found a 2nd hand one on facebook market place for £110 had the TX googles and drone with a few batteries etc we all fly tiny trainers here now on 3s 👍

agree with ross about the monitor googles the res isnt as good but more than enough to fly on i went back to googles as i find them more comfortable.

5 hours ago, Nick said:

yes, this is what i have. no problem nick.

good luck on your search 🙂 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steve-O2021 said:

Do you get motion sickness from FPV Drones? Just tried PSVR for the first time and I'm impressed but thought I was going to throw up after it lol...

I have no idea, lol. I wouldn't of thought so.

I’ve never had motion sickness type issues while flying but I have had strange feelings a couple of times while using the oculus (mostly in zero g type stuff) but sitting down seems to help a lot. I probably sit down while flying 95% of the time.

2 hours ago, Nick said:

What about something like this?

Umm yeah like it’ll do but like you know…it’s kinda umm like meh 😄 

Basically if you get a cheap tx and a cheap headset (£100-£150 total) you can use them with many quads…if you buy that hubsan then if you do want more you still need to buy another tx and headset.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ross9999992 said:

I’ve never had motion sickness type issues while flying but I have had strange feelings a couple of times while using the oculus (mostly in zero g type stuff) but sitting down seems to help a lot. I probably sit down while flying 95% of the time.

Umm yeah like it’ll do but like you know…it’s kinda umm like meh 😄 

Yea was sat down playing Resident evil 7 lol, it's good stuff. Think it's all to do with what your eyes are seeing and what your ears are hearing etc 

17 minutes ago, Ross9999992 said:

Basically if you get a cheap tx and a cheap headset (£100-£150 total) you can use them with many quads…if you buy that hubsan then if you do want more you still need to buy another tx and headset.

i was looking to see if there is one for my quad but no luck.

53 minutes ago, Nick said:

I have no idea, lol. I wouldn't of thought so.

i was just thinking if i can get a goggle for mine, would that help you out?

something like this but would need to do more research to see if itl work with mine:

https://www.holystone.com/en/accessories/battery/VRHeadsetGogglesforFPVDrone.html

Edited by froggy8

14 minutes ago, froggy8 said:

i was looking to see if there is one for my quad but no luck.

Do you have to plug anything into your phone to receive the video or is it just WiFi?

1 minute ago, Ross9999992 said:

Do you have to plug anything into your phone to receive the video or is it just WiFi?

just wifi, as long as the phone and the quad isnt too far apart then the video will be fine.

ive tested this and its really good but nick only wants one with goggles.

Yeah so if yours is just WiFi then it wouldn’t “just work” with a standard 5.8 fpv receiver (what that headset you linked seems to be).

I don’t actually know of anything that’ll pick up a 5ghz WiFi signal tbh. Maybe just stick your phone in a Google cardboard type thing and do it that way? 🙂 

I've been thinking a lot about this and decided to (potentially) jump in the deep end. I believe it's something I will really enjoy. So that being said, I'm stepping up the game here and hope you trust me being an experienced RC car user, that a drone won't be too overwhelming for me compared to most novices. :lol:

I've done some research, the amount of options to building a drone is remarkable. I'm led to believe 5" frames are a good balance for FPV cinematic / agile shots. I'm after something that is well balanced to do a bit of everything.

I saw the iFlight Titan DC5 frame being recommended as one of the best, it allows for DJIs HD Goggle system, which I've also read is the best and I'd prefer this over analogue due to the clearer display - which is a big reason I'd like to do FPV is for the immersion.

I came across this in the UK:
https://www.quadcopters.co.uk/titan-dc5-with-dji-air-unit-bnf

But would still need goggles, radio and battery. There's 2 options here also, 4s and 6s... now I would normally side with 4s however the extra fly time on 6s is appealing... but will it just be stupidly fast? Can this be reduced in the ESC (I believe called a stack?).

I also would like to get a GPS module so I can track it if I lose it, should you have any ideas on what to get - though I have absolutely no plans to go further than an open field/garden until I've practiced thoroughly. I certainly do not expect to be an expert any time soon and will be patient practicing here. Once I'm more comfortable, the aim is to strap a GoPro on for filming.

The new DJI FPV was tempting but I like the idea of a module kit more, it's also cheaper and with the option of using cameras other than DJI for cinematic filming, gives many better options. But the reviews are generally really good.

• Like 1