• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Servo nightmare issues…..

Kpowell911

Hey guys. Having an issue with my Maxx. Got the following set up:

Traxxas Maxx

Vitavon Standard Servo Mount

Treal Aluminium Bellcranks

Noble NB4 Radio

Savox SG2292 Servo

As you can see, a no expense spared set up:

BUT every time I turn left or right, I gradually lose steering lock. After 3 or 4 turns Im only at 10% lock? The servo (metal cased) gets RED HOT.

Ive rebuilt the steering multiple times. Ive put brand new bearings in the bellcranks, Ive checked for binding in the steering train. With the power off I can physically (easily) move the wheels to full lock. Yet under power, the servo gradually loses its  throw angle. Its almost as if Im manually turning the EPA down each turn. EPA has been changed to various different settings, and it still deteriates

Theres a chance  its a radio setting, its far too complicated, but its as if Im only getting to use 30-45 degree’s of my servos range if that makes sense, and the servo is getting red hot as I say.

any ideas? Im stumped!

11 minutes ago, supersavage said:

Only thing I can think of is you have a bad servo unfortunately.

Do you have another one to test to make sure whether it is the servo or not?

Decided to try a brand new Power HD servo, intended for a Rustler so not good enough for the Maxx but will ‘sort’ the issue.

However half way through I found there WAS some binding in the Treal Bellcranks. I cant see how or where, but the binding has gone  with the stock plastic bellcranks back in??

• Like 1

Maybe the binding ended up being a little too much for the servo and is causing it fail. Could it be the tolerances on the treal bell crank be to tight that a bit of unseen debris cause it too bind? Or perhaps just general dirt build up when running it might cause it to start binding then when you clean it you don't really notice anything.

• Like 1

Well it should be easy enough to fix. If it’s fine out of the truck then it’ll be top or bottom of the steering posts most likely. Maybe it was supposed to come with some shims (washers). Maybe the bearings are too thin. Maybe the tolerances are off and when tightened down the plastics of the truck flex and rub. I’d say washers top and/or bottom are the quickest/easiest fix though without any actual modifying.

Maybe the servo arm hole is too deep and binding on the servo itself?