• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1/8 6s on a budget?

MrCake

Does 1/8th with 6S on a budget exist?  Thinking that I want to add one to the collection this year but there seems to be quite a big price difference on purchase price and spares.

Looking for something that would get used for fast off-road use and what people might consider light bashing.

So far my list is quite varied with the FTX DR8, HoBao Hyper VS or VS2 but then I am interested in seeing what the Associated MT8 is like.   Any thoughts on any of these or suggestions for something else?

Have you had a look at Team Corally cars/trucks like the Kronos,Shogun,Radix and Python etc

Of the 3 above the vse and mt8 are decent as well, ftx well jury is out on them 

Edited by Stormbringer

I say this to everyone, get a VSe. They’re cheap second hand, and are tough as old boots. Parts haven’t been an issue for me, but I’ve heard that hobao stuff isn’t so available at the moment. 

• Like 2

Personally although I like buying brand new when I can most of the RC's I have owned have been used ~ this is good two fold because firstly you can usually get a lot more for your money and secondly as it's always wise to fully service a used RC you get good knowledge of how the RC all goes together from assembling & dismantling it (plus you know all your fluids are fresh then as well).

I'd recommend a used Arrma Typhon 6S as one good option if you can find one within your budget as imho they're decent buggies with a lot of spares readily available for them. 
Used one here on eBay (if you could negotiate that one for less than the asking price it still leaves money then for a 6S battery & charger) :  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125079931598?hash=item1d1f584ace:g:0IcAAOSwkpth0NDA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrCake said:

I guess <£500 is what I was aiming at but the reliability and spares prices is almost more important to me.  

I did look at Corally but wasn't sure how strong they were?

for that budget id go second hand tbh you could get any of the 1/8thers and a load of lipos with it too 👍

and if only light bashing  ie not plowing it off 15ft ramps etc most of the decent 1/8thers will be fine on parts  Mrcake

Thanks all, the Typhon was another car I did look at so might take another look.  I didn't think of 2nd hand but will definitely take a look when it comes to getting one.

I think my budget question was more around whether 1/8th is a bit of a money pit?  I have quite a few cars but my outlays on fixes have so far been cheap (touch wood).  My Slash 4x4 for instance has only had 1 x set of bearings in 2 years with no breakages, and I have just ordered some bearings for my Big Rock but that was my own fault for trying to clean quickly. 

I realise though that a bigger and heavier car is more likely to break so want to weigh up whether bigger is always better 🤣 

being a money pit depends on your willpower about buying hopups mrcake haha nah tbh the 1/8ths are alot stronger than 1/10 by quite a bit most are solid built with metal chassis etc if youve only done bearings in 2 yrs you will be fine light bashing  a 1/8th 👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrCake said:

Thanks all, the Typhon was another car I did look at so might take another look.  I didn't think of 2nd hand but will definitely take a look when it comes to getting one.

I think my budget question was more around whether 1/8th is a bit of a money pit?  I have quite a few cars but my outlays on fixes have so far been cheap (touch wood).  My Slash 4x4 for instance has only had 1 x set of bearings in 2 years with no breakages, and I have just ordered some bearings for my Big Rock but that was my own fault for trying to clean quickly. 

I realise though that a bigger and heavier car is more likely to break so want to weigh up whether bigger is always better 🤣 

Id consider most 1/8th buggies/truggies to be more durable than a Slash 4x4

• Like 1

You said werent sure how tough Corally's were heres a vid of my son Yrkoon running his up the quarry , Damage accrued spoiler then eventually spoiler mount his was still running the v1 parts there

https://youtu.be/YHJF_0VE9WY

Also our VSe's same bash session

https://youtu.be/-tKzm7ff098

• Like 1

I think Yrkoon reinforced his 1 but it was mainly his converted H7 that they bent on but cant remember if he actually bent the vse towers ,I havnt reinforced mine and not noticed any bending yet lol

I posted that to let you see how they go and how we use em 

3 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

You said werent sure how tough Corally's were heres a vid of my son Yrkoon running his up the quarry , Damage accrued spoiler then eventually spoiler mount his was still running the v1 parts there

https://youtu.be/YHJF_0VE9WY

Also our VSe's same bash session

https://youtu.be/-tKzm7ff098

Fair too say,Throttle control not one of his strong points.

• Haha 1

6s looks too much to handle going by them videos lol...

I'm happy with the 4S HPI Truggy Flux 1/8 and it only cost  me 120 used but as new (not now the chassis is scratched to hell by rocks and mud all over it and bits of tree etc..

So far only broke a suspension hinge pin holder but they do a upgraded alloy ones so will fit that.

Thats why we dont run our cars on 6s as they are to us nuts enough on 4s 

Only thing we did do was up the pinion on the VSe's to 17 tooth . The Kronos is standard gearing as out the box

I have only ever run 6s on a few occasions and never have again, It's just overkill for general bashing and in anything other than a 1/8 buggy it's a full time non enjoyable job just trying to keep the front wheels on the ground.

My go to ESC is the Hobbywing WP-SC8 which can be had for a tad less than 50 quid on a good day, The ECS your find in many a RTR for which there is a reason for, It's bulletproof, You mate that with any number of cheap 2000KV motors and you have a rock solid system, Put that in a Hyper SSE with a Servo and Flysky and you have a car for £350.

Problem is that setup would have been a good 50-60 quid cheaper a couple years ago, But with the pricing the way it is, Just get the Radix for 340 and be done with it, But you absolutely do not need 6s. 

• Like 1