• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Performance: Bigger Kv Motor or More Cells

Buggy Malone

Team,

I'm after some advice please from the experienced guys.

When attempting to increase the speed of your buggy do you first opt for a larger Kv motor or more cells.

All of my new Gens Ace Lipos are 2S and in the interests of standardising my gear I was hoping to stay 2S only.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers All,

Andrew

19 hours ago, Buggy Malone said:

Team,

I'm after some advice please from the experienced guys.

When attempting to increase the speed of your buggy do you first opt for a larger Kv motor or more cells.

All of my new Gens Ace Lipos are 2S and in the interests of standardising my gear I was hoping to stay 2S only.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers All,

Andrew

This is a great question, but not one I've ever been able to find a true answer too.

As for standardising, it sounds good in principle, but realty tends to not always agree.

But to the motor question.

Let's assume a 1/10th 2wd buggy.

Would an 8.5T brushless on 2S out perform a 13.5T on 3S?

I honestly don't know the answer. I kind of suspect increasing voltage is an easy way of increasing performance (assuming your setup would support it). 

• Like 1

If the esc/motor will take more volts then more volts = more torque and higher rpm = more speed.

Theoretically higher kv motors need smaller pinions to avoid heat issues and so can give a similar speed anyway.

Gens ace lipos….always been overpriced imo 👍🏻

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 300bhp/ton said:

This is a great question, but not one I've ever been able to find a true answer too.

As for standardising, it sounds good in principle, but realty tends to not always agree.

But to the motor question.

Let's assume a 1/10th 2wd buggy.

Would an 8.5T brushless on 2S out perform a 13.5T on 3S?

I honestly don't know the answer. I kind of suspect increasing voltage is an easy way of increasing performance (assuming your setup would support it). 

I'm still trying to get my head around things but what you've written in your post is what I've been pondering over.

I'm thinking of ordering a 4,600Kv & ESC combo and seeing where that takes me. 

I may also add a small 3S to the shopping list to see how that works out too.

Pinions, spur gears and gear ratios, motor sizes and heat effects, battery sizes, ESC capacity, mechanical stresses and component reliability...........

..........This is not an easy subject for us newbie folk, lol. 

Edited by Buggy Malone

19 hours ago, Ross9999992 said:

Gens ace lipos….always been overpriced imo 👍🏻

I've asked a number of times about which batteries are best and the answers (incl Youtube) always seems to revert back to Gens Ace.

I purchased a couple of 4000mah from ModelSport the other day and they were cracking value, i.e. size and reputation versus cost.

Which ones woukd you choose?

Cheers,

Andrew

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Zeee,Vorjay and Sundapow from Amazon they have higher C ratings allowing greater punch and i notice a diference running them in my trucks/buggys performance over Gens Ace

Thanks mate but I refuse to use Amazon (*) so it looks as if I'll be sticking with Gens Ace, Overlander and Voltz.

(*) Due to the wasteful packaging of Amazon etc, so the missus and I have made a stand.

5 hours ago, Buggy Malone said:

I'm still trying to get my head around things but what you've written in your post is what I've been pondering over.

I'm thinking of ordering a 4,600Kv & ESC combo and seeing where that takes me. 

I may also add a small 3S to the shopping list to see how that works out too.

Pinions, spur gears and gear ratios, motor sizes and heat effects, battery sizes, ESC capacity, mechanical stresses and component reliability...........

..........This is not an easy subject for us newbie folk, lol. 

What are you wanting to do, go fast in a line or bash? Yes its not easy but theres lots of good people about and information.
Pinions arnt cheap but they are cheaper than a new motor esc, if your wanting loads of breathing room, id got for a max 10 sct that can go to 4s and get a 3660 can 4400k, should send most 1/10 scale cars over 80 mph easily. Then gear to the moon 😄

As far as batteries go, cant go wrong with gens ace or turnigy, im pleased with my intellect lipo to,

Edited by Redback