• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

BigGinge's TRX4 Trail Van Build Thread

BigGinge

They keep the water out pretty good if you have used a reasonable amount of grease inside the portal housing, also stick the shafts in the grease as you feed them into the axles the grease will help seal the main axles from filling up.
Dynamite marine grease i used throughout along with corrosion x on each bearing.
Our trx4 is (used almost every weekend for 4 hours +), It was regularly in water so should have been serviced a bit more often but overall i think you will be very happy with the durability of the rig. 2 failed bearings i can chew on.
2 failed micro servos is a bit more sad, just dont touch them and they should work dandy for a good period of time.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BigGinge said:

I will probably need to see what I can do to move the front body posts back a little, so that these clear the front window and allow the body to centre properly on the axels

Did you get this with your body post set, if its on the front it should offset it enough to just clear?

image.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redback said:

Did you get this with your body post set, if its on the front it should offset it enough to just clear?

image.png

Oddly I probably put this onto the chassis about half an hour before you posted this after having rummage through the left over bits while the kids were eating dinner. I think it just gets me enough clearance on the front but I don’t have my motor in yet so will need to check it doesn’t crash with that when it’s mounted as I have a horrible feeling the two and going to go in at the same time. 

If there is a clash I can potentially print some sort of support to go on the motor and then butcher the bracket to mate with that. 

Today I’ve temporarily mounted up the kit motor so I can see if the offset body post mount does clash when used in the front of the van. Unfortunately it does, so I will still need to work out a solution to the mounting for the front of the body shell. 

83BB3BF5-2B28-4CF1-9855-0E5CF24DB950.thumb.jpeg.6afc4d82e8c7c201c95a05c30ba460c4.jpeg

F4CAB868-D191-4B34-8CCF-94D2EC643377.thumb.jpeg.1a7a337aea4414b1f99eff2a3dec27a5.jpeg

EED36971-636D-4B43-A6DF-34AB8D191B7E.thumb.jpeg.ad239e8eb4609a4f822bf66af741b2c3.jpeg

I suspect what I will do with this is to 3D print a bracket that clips onto the motor and engages with the upper sections of the offset body post mount. I can then trim off the bits that clash with the motor and hopefully keep something that is structurally sound when it's all fixed together.  It is a bit of a shame though as this will slow the build down a fair bit as I still don’t have the final motor I’m intending to use so might take a while to get a new bracket designed (unless I put a variant together for the traxxas motor too?)

The alternative would be to try and design a new body post mount that attaches in the same way as the official part but sits nicely with the motor, I'm not 100% sure if a purely 3D printed part would be strong enough for this though. If anyone has any experience of making crawler parts like this it would be good to hear of your experience (both good and bad) 

Edited by BigGinge
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, mch87 said:

Looks a good build and really liking the van body... shame I have the shorter wheelbase TRX4

@mch87 It isn’t that difficult to expand the wheelbase on the TRX4 if you want to run a longer body shell. In fact I had to extend the kit wheelbase from 12.3” to 12.8” for this build.  

I used the rear suspension links and longer drive shaft section from the 8057 long conversion kit form my build but stuck with the fenders from the chassis kit as these already had the mounting holes required for all the different wheelbase lengths. I just used the ones furthest back on the fenders rather than the one with the arrow pointing to it in the image below. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BigGinge said:

@mch87 It isn’t that difficult to expand the wheelbase on the TRX4 if you want to run a longer body shell. In fact I had to extend the kit wheelbase from 12.3” to 12.8” for this build.  

I used the rear suspension links and longer drive shaft section from the 8057 long conversion kit form my build but stuck with the fenders from the chassis kit as these already had the mounting holes required for all the different wheelbase lengths. I just used the ones furthest back on the fenders rather than the one with the arrow pointing to it in the image below. 

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind....

I did just buy a new body and was hoping not to cut the fenders but no such luck... (the spec for the shell listed the widest point which would have worked but that's not what the arches are 😞 )

Will just have to keep an eye out for a cheap set of fenders to cut or bite the bullet and buy new narrow ones... but it just seems that everyone wants to add £4-5 minimum to post them and I know it would only cost like £2 to post. (yes I'm tight but I've become a poor student again)

I had wondered about using the longer links from the defender as a cheap small lift kit... as the Traxxas long arm kit is just mind blowingly expensive for what it is

Edited by mch87
  • Like 2