• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Can anyone recommend any decent smaller scale Monster Trucks?

BigGinge

Hi, I'm relatively new to the hobby (and to the forum) and I've been looking around to see if I can find something fairly specific for my next model purchase.

For now we don't have a huge amount of spare space at home (I blame the kids but my wife may have other ideas) so I was hoping I might be able to find something that I can take out bashing that doesn't take up quite as much space as a 1/10 or bigger truck. I would much rather be buying a proper car than another toy like machine, so that I can get a decent step up in performance, durability and spare part availability (it will likely end up in the keen but dangerous hands of out five year old at some point) but haven't seem much out there other than the 1/10 or bigger models. I currently have some lightly modified Q901 and XLF F16 cars which are a nice size and aren't to bad in use but I have been struggling with the durability of some parts and am getting slightly worried about being able to get replacements for certain items if/when they get broken.

So far I've found the LC Racing EMB series of cars and have had my eye on their MT and Truggy variants as potential purchases. I'm currently leaning towards the truggy with a few of the MT parts bolted on (bumpers and wheels/tyres) but as I'm still very new to the game I would appreciate if anyone here could point me towards anything else that would be worth considering. 

If at all possible it would be nice to be able to buy in kit form (I like building things) but I would be happy to consider a RTR model if that will get me a better set up, even if it needs a few upgrades to get there.

Modelsport's site allows you to search by scale, here's a few more around the size you're looking at (Filters; electric, off-road)

1:14 https://www.modelsport.co.uk/electric/models/off-road/114?

1:16 https://www.modelsport.co.uk/electric/models/off-road/116?

1:18 https://www.modelsport.co.uk/electric/models/off-road/118?

For smaller assembly kits, there's only really the Monster Beetle; https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/tamiya-monster-beetle-trail-gf-01tr--441376

Tamiya also make the KongHead and KingYellow which although listed as 1/18 are still pretty big models (420mm ish long)

I picked up a Savage XS years ago...still have it. They are quite fun little trucks. They have some well documented issues, and I run mine on 2S though the electrics say they take 3S....just thats when the trouble starts.

Much smaller than this, and you start to find the trucks struggle on grass. I had a Losi Mini 8ight....and had that issue. It spent most ofg it's life with 1/10 road wheels on driving on tarmac paths, as it just got stuck on so many other surfaces.
If you go with the EMB offering....go with the truck. It should be just that bit taller and able to handle more.

I'd love a King Yellow ..... just because it's so silly!

• Like 1

Thanks for the pointers.

Having a look about on Modelsport I can probably add the following to my list of potentials; quite a few aren't monster trucks but might still work as a decent small basher that might be better than what I have now. For some reason I'm not sure I can bring myself to go for one of the Tamiya models, I just get the feeling that they won't take too kindly to being sent of jumps and that they would need a lot of upgrades to get them up to the same level as most of the other models here (at the very least a new set of oil filled shocks and ball bearings). Guess I need to go and do lots more reading now to try and work out how this lot compare.

LC Racing EMB-MT

LC Racing EMB-TG

HPI Savage XS Flux VGJR/Chevrolet El Camino

Team Associated Reflex 14T

Losi Mini 8ight-t 1/14 ( is this the one that struggled on grass?)

Losi Mini 8ight DB 1/14

Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo VXL

Traxxas 1/16 Summit

2 hours ago, BigGinge said:

Thanks for the pointers.

Having a look about on Modelsport I can probably add the following to my list of potentials; quite a few aren't monster trucks but might still work as a decent small basher that might be better than what I have now. For some reason I'm not sure I can bring myself to go for one of the Tamiya models, I just get the feeling that they won't take too kindly to being sent of jumps and that they would need a lot of upgrades to get them up to the same level as most of the other models here (at the very least a new set of oil filled shocks and ball bearings). Guess I need to go and do lots more reading now to try and work out how this lot compare.

LC Racing EMB-MT

LC Racing EMB-TG

HPI Savage XS Flux VGJR/Chevrolet El Camino

Team Associated Reflex 14T

Losi Mini 8ight-t 1/14 ( is this the one that struggled on grass?)

Losi Mini 8ight DB 1/14

Traxxas 1/16 E-Revo VXL

Traxxas 1/16 Summit

Out of those Id go with the brushed XL5 E Revo 1/16th. Far from perfect, but as long as you dont go mental with the power (which you wont need with minimal space

Just to clarify, the space shortage is for storage not running. The garden is far too small to run anything other than the little 1/18th crawler so we always head out somewhere with plenty of space to run the other cars.

The min revo and the mini Summit are basically the same car,  just with different wheels and suspension settings. The Mine Revo setup will probably be more durable and stress the diffs less though.
What Traxxas did was to stuff the biggest brushed motor they had on the shelf into a little car.

The Mini 8ight T is the Truggy version, I had the buggy. It will be a bit better, but I wasn't that impressed with the little Losi and it's electrics...which ran very hot. I had the basic buggy version.

7 hours ago, BigGinge said:

Just to clarify, the space shortage is for storage not running. The garden is far too small to run anything other than the little 1/18th crawler so we always head out somewhere with plenty of space to run the other cars.

I would go with the HPI Savage XS, its small scale, but uses normal size 2s batteries and has 1/10th electronics. its really decent power on 2S. It does have a couple a weaknesses but i would say it has less than the traxxas 1/16th trucks. 

• Like 1

Ok, I think I’ve made a decision after spending some more time reading up on the

models listed above. 

I think the reflex 14T and the two mini 8ight models are probably slightly inferior to the EMB models so I think that rules them out for me. From what I’ve seen of the EMB options the truggy is probably the better driver (even if it doesn’t look quite so good);  it is also available as a kit and can be fitted with the bumpers and wheels/tyres from the Monster truck. So I think from this lot that is what I would go with. 

From the other camp we have the Erevo and summit which are variations on a theme (which is struggle to choose from without driving) and the savage. The two traxxas trucks don’t look like they quite match up to the savage XS flux in terms of size (and probably power) so that rules them out. 

This then just leaves the savage XS and the EMB truggy. If I was simply buying a RTR unit to get straight out with I think I’d probably go with the savage but because I’d quite like to build something up myself I think for now I’ll go with the EMB truggy kit. Just have to wait for stock to turn up now. 🙁