• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hpi Baja value?

Smithy111

I’m looking at possibly getting a Baja but have no idea what they are realistically worth in say excellent second hand condition? I know this might be hard to answer as will vary depending on spare including and hop up extra?

This is for sale local to me, wants £630 for it all including spares and a stand fs gt3 radio (not needed) looks like some nice extras and says only used a couple times.

CC782AD4-4D2E-426D-A86C-6E6571F51976.jpeg

27F7A1F6-0543-441E-AA94-7FC9A7A4B386.jpeg

Edited by Smithy111

No idea.  Mainly becuase ther eis no mention of what upgrades it has had, what spec anything is, and frasnkly, if it's basically stock with just the visible mods to the rollcage for quick release, and an ally front shock tower ( a part I never upgrade...insted I upgrade teh tower supports...so in a heavy impact, you have a cheap part that breaks...not a big repair bill) but also I upgrade the upper fropnt chassis brace, fit a lower kickup brace and better front bumper.

If it's fairly stock...then £650 is too expensive to me.  But,.... It's impossible to actually judge without knowing the actual spec.

Which is why you are not getting much response to the thread.

If I was to sell my Baja, I would estimate it around £400 ... as it's been used...but has a fair few parts on it...but in a sale ad...I would list every upgraded part on there so a buyer can make an estimate of worth.

• Like 2

Here’s the advert text:

This is a genuine hpi baja that cost £1000, not to be mistaken by the cheep unreliable Chinese replicas and Rovons on the market, this is unmolested as you can see never used on hard surfaces and looked after maintained impeccably as new, will come with car foldable stand' all 2.4ghz radio gear and battery's including flysky hand controller, which you can have 9 other cars programed to it. also kill stop motor with one touch on handset,

incredibly quick with unbelivable exeleraction for a 23cc,

which started first pull after a year of beeing a shelf queen.

the baja has many essential upgrades of following,

1/  real carbon rear braces.

2/ allolly quick release roll cage brace.

3/ roll cage grab handle.

4/ alloy anodized f/r tower braces.

5/ tuned race r/ dominator exhaust.

6/ exhaust  tailpipe muffler.

7/ electronic engine' ignition kill switch.

8/  led f/spotlights.

9/ high grade orange wheel beadlocks .

10/ savvox high speed throttle servo.

11/ front alloy skid protector plate.

12/ led towerpro battery checker

13/ Xmax airfilter protector dust cover

14/ Xmax pull start dust protector cover

15 /alloy anodized pullstart handle

16/ anodized orange wheel nuts

17/ anodized orange engine' alloy reinforced support brace/ exetra

Youl get everything you see in photo's

of what I purchased off a friend for spares never needed worth over £500. Including brand new side race exhaust and loads spare and upgrade part's of some new, including a brand new tuned side race exhaust header and coupling / new spare pullstart /, 3 spare big oem  high flow carburetors / 2 big  steering servos / one' is a alloy high-speed servo / spare soft grip rubber road wheels x4 /

Loads of susspension parts' steel drive gears sprockets / bead locks / spur gears/ driveshafts /wheel hubs / clutch bell 'so on too much to list here, grab a absolute bargin.

Mine is a 'genuine' HPI Baja ....... has a 29cc engine, the same pipe, kill switch, high grade yerllow beadlocks and upgraded wheels. Has upgraded servos, skid plate, better braces, upgraded brakes ....

lights are gimmics, as is the 'carry handle', wheel nuts, pull start handle and carbon fibre anything.

Personally...I think its overpriced.

4 hours ago, Smithy111 said:

Better to go for a brand new rovan or km then?

tbh you will end up ypgrading most of it anyway not sure what rovans are like now had one years ago was terrible quality but i only paid £350 back then and ended up changing most of the parts etc 

£650 for a 23 cc baja is mental money though lol for that should get a gen hpi with a decent pipe and decent cc engine and hopups 

the Kms seem hit and miss too a few mates bought them some were ok and others had no end of problems with rc models aftersales service 

I have a KM as well as an HPI...and the quality wasn;t bad...but....some things were not so nice. I sold hte engine on without even starting it. Castings felt rough and cheap....so wasn't going to mess about. Upgraded the wheels and servos, and gave it a top to bottom strip and rebuild, replacing diff fluids, shock oils etc. and threadlocking all the stuff that should have been done. Then it was OK ....well...I had to get RC modelz to replace a dead coil....which arrived that way. Luckily, I could swap over the coil from my other car and send them a video of theirs not working...me swapping it over and setting the gap...then it running. Got a new one soon after.  Avoided the 'you are doing it wrong or it needs adjusting' rubbish. Heres me installing a coil and making the engine go. No spark...now spark.

But.....at the end of the day....for the original poster ...if you WANT that £650 Baja, and can afford to pay the money....it's your choice.
The ultimate worth of anything like this is in the enjoyment you get from it. It may not be worth £650 to me....or to Bajadre.... but I bought my HPI cheap and busted, with a snapped rear brace, collapsed clutch bearings and support and a load of other issues. I broke it down to parts, cleaned everything and built it back up replacing worn bearings, fixing issues, and getting the upgrades I wanted to make a solid car. Thats what I enjoy.

But...it makes me seriously consider sticking my baja up for sale as there are not that many up on E-Bay, and the ones on there are not brilliant 🙂

Edited by Nitroholic

I’d happily buy something that needs fixing up as I too get more enjoyment stripping thing down and rebuilding them, problem is the rough one people still want too much money for when you factor in just a few parts your almost up to hmthat 650 one that looks mint but then you could have problems with that too.

I think in general a lot of people seem to want far too much money for rc cars, some are cheaper to buy brand new!