• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Slash 4x4 Restoration

8 minutes ago, Guns said:

When I first got back into this hobby, I brought a Slash 4x4 with a lot of upgrades and spares, and everything to convert it into a Rustler 4x4 off @mydoddy69 I promptly converted it to the Rustler 4x4, and never looked back. I was left with a fair a mount of spares and upgrades. My girlfriend now owns the Rustler, and loves it. Im aware I have a lot of parts, and I often search for scrap Traxxas 4x4's to fix up using my spares. I even put a wanted thread on here, to no avail. Im also sure youve all noticed, RC is going through a bit of a purple patch, and second hand prices have gone through the roof.

Inspired by this thread by @LordRodders 

I decided to look for something today, and something caught my eye on Facebook of all places.

A self confessed used and abused Slash 4x4. Honestly listed, honestly priced. It was 45 miles away (what else is there to do on a wet bank holiday?). It was cheap enough, so I took a punt and went and got it.

J8Km0Yy.jpg

As you can see, pretty nasty. Drive shaft and turnbuckle bent, leaky shocks and a ran as a sorta 1:8th buggy hybrid. Genuinely described and priced accordingly. HW SC8 ESC, Arrma 3200kv motor and stock radio gear/servo. All working. I was also offered some more spares for a but more money. So I brought all that too. Theres a lot more than below, but the highlights are a VXL3S ESC, Hot Racing Big Bore Alloy Motor mount and some RPM Arms.....

ijpiwGs.jpg

Combine this to my spares and off I go

Et1KYPf.jpg

That motor mount looks bad  do you think it has moved around in use

Now for the front.....

Not nice..... but

ROA8TP4.jpg

Again, luckily had a fair few new bits. New RPM Arms, front bulkhead

FkYu32g.jpg

New Shock tower and Proline bodyposts

xbYPtL6V.jpg

I'vd had to use the alloy front shocks, theyre horrendous. Im going to pick up some GTR's for the front hopefully. Ive not even bothered to rebuild them

z7lumIj.jpg

I dont really know what this front bumper is from (maybe the Rally?) but I have to run it with the Toyota shell it appears. I do have the stock bumper too however

WiEHHVm.jpg

This is the only part that needed replacing that I didnt have a brand new one of, but Ive got one decent enough, itll do for now

W6HSLQn.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Guns said:

Not sure what you mean? The Hot Racing one?

a lot of the blue is worn off  looks like the motor moved or dirt was in between the mount and the bit screwed to the motor.

13 minutes ago, turok007 said:

a lot of the blue is worn off  looks like the motor moved or dirt was in between the mount and the bit screwed to the motor.

Ahhh I see what youre saying now, on the one in the spares. No idea, that part went into the bin as I had a new one

• Like 1

Don’t suppose you want to sell me some of your leftovers mate?

the front bumper for the Toyota shell is indeed from the rally :good:

great thread, I’m about to start my rally rebuild but awaiting parts (the rally parts needed) keep me posted on those driveshafts too please, I’m in need of two sets, one for the rally/slash and the other for my stampede.

also could I ask what wing mount that is and does it fit both stock/rpm shock towers?

thanking you :good:

12 minutes ago, Gaz! said:

Don’t suppose you want to sell me some of your leftovers mate?

the front bumper for the Toyota shell is indeed from the rally :good:

great thread, I’m about to start my rally rebuild but awaiting parts (the rally parts needed) keep me posted on those driveshafts too please, I’m in need of two sets, one for the rally/slash and the other for my stampede.

also could I ask what wing mount that is and does it fit both stock/rpm shock towers?

thanking you :good:

Lemme know what parts you need and IF I can ill help you out. 

When you say wing mount? Do you mean how it was when I brought it?

Yes mate, the one you bought and collected in the first pic.

I could do with complete front and rear bumpers/mounts for the sc body and if the time comes to sell the rally front bumper assembly, I’d be interested in that too.

also looking for rpm shock towers, proline slash body mount kit and maybe a couple of sets of wheels/tyres stock would be fine too.

cheers. :good:

21 hours ago, Gaz! said:

Yes mate, the one you bought and collected in the first pic.

I could do with complete front and rear bumpers/mounts for the sc body and if the time comes to sell the rally front bumper assembly, I’d be interested in that too.

also looking for rpm shock towers, proline slash body mount kit and maybe a couple of sets of wheels/tyres stock would be fine too.

cheers. :good:

The mount in the first pic is literally a piece of scrap alloy, screwed into the rear tower with wood screws, and the wing is nut and bolted through 😩😅

Ive only really got one of what you need to be honest, and could do with some wheels and tyres myself. The upgrades you want are ones Im after too haha. 

I ran it today, need to threadlock the odd screw and the slipper was too loose. I perservered and well. Burnt it out completely 😅 All replaced ready for next time. 

Completely destroyed two pads ha

1DOU1jU.jpg

Im happy with what Ive got for what I paid, So ive invested in some GTR Shocks for the front and the Traxxas Chassis Brace. Gonna get some RPM arms for the rear and a black chassis and see how I get on 🙂

Also spent $70 on Jennys RC to try and get the above into a roller and go from there with it. This will mean Ill have a fully upgraded

Rustler 4x4, Slash 4x4 AND a Slash 4x4 Slider...... makes sense to turn it into a Stampede 4x4 doesnt it?

Yeah man, would finish off the collection nicely :good:

I managed to drop on a set of Mip x duty driveshafts, just unsure which to fit them to..... stampede or the rally/slash....

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the orange one for now. As I said, I hated thehorrible Chinese Aluminium shocks, so I ordered some front GTR's, and a Chassis Brace, mainly because it looked cool

VSK2uhN.jpeg

PANIC, the shocks dont come with springs. So parts bin time and

1z2Yq6T.jpeg

Guessing 7445 are fronts so? The parts bin wins again. Im going to rename it Narnia

Fresh Oil

DRA70d5.jpeg

To repace these awful things

jd34V6D.jpeg

Much better

j9HOoud.jpeg

And the random brace installed

o6MgSyZ.jpeg

Next on the agenda..... A Charcoal Chassis, RPM Rear Arms, and probably Ultimate Alloy Hubs...... I may nick the power system out of this put it in the budget Slash 4x4 (yes, this was meant to be the budget slash) and put a 1/8th 4S Combo in this, with Mod 1 E-Revo Slipper and Gearing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1