• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

RC Mart and vat charges

jimbulsara

I have been looking at getting something from RC Mart. I noticed that they add a VAT charge for a particular item (Mini z ).  Does this mean i wont have to pay anything when the  item arrives, or will i end up paying VAT again? 

2 hours ago, jimbulsara said:

I have been looking at getting something from RC Mart. I noticed that they add a VAT charge for a particular item (Mini z ).  Does this mean i wont have to pay anything when the  item arrives, or will i end up paying VAT again? 

This place might have what you want  https://www.rc-pbm.com.fr/catalog/index.php?cPath=382&osCsid=jvnvtm72p06j9aj1v2tp4konk3

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, turok007 said:

There was another seller from Germany that had a few. But due to the brexit situation he wasn’t sure about how to send it here ( I guess UK  wasn’t/isn’t a main client for him). 

I will check that website though. Thanks

58 minutes ago, turok007 said:

Thanks for the website. Have you ordered from here? Good prices. 

Just keep in mind that VAT/Duty is a possibility on ANY item you order, even from germany. Here:

image.thumb.png.4c59614c892514f69e206d798b3aefb6.png

"Hey, brief question - i live in Great Britain, but would like to order the POS Lipobrace for the Maxx. How exactly does this work now, i thought the value added tax had to be paid on entry into the UK, not directly at the checkout (which would lead to me paying 2x tax)" (referring to paying VAT on checkout at their shop, and again to HMRC)

"Good day, unfortunately we can only wave the VAT on checkout for verified business-customers with UStdID (ID number) for shipments outside of the EU. You would need to reclaim the VAT after the completed export from the german Zoll (customs)."

"Well, that's not gonna happen then. Thank you for the Info."

Point being, if you want to be safe, you need to talk to the seller prior to ordering. For example RC Mart might charge you VAT, but that doesn't mean that HMRC won't do it again - it depends on how they handle it. They might have an HMRC number and transfer the charged VAT, but i don't trust chinese sellers so there's always the chance that you get VAT charged again, and have to somehow jump through a few hoops to reclaim your money from foreign custom offices. You absolutely should clarify beforehand. 

Picture's just for showing that i'm not making this up. That particular shop charged VAT (for germany), but had no HMRC number, leading to me paying tax again on entry into the UK if i went ahead with the purchase (i didn't).

Most shops in germany speak english (less so in eastern germany, but still widespread), but if contrary to expectations a shop doesn't, PM me the mail you want to send and i'll translate.

Edited by m4inbrain

I will note that so far, if a Chinese seller on Ali express charged VAT, I haven’t been charged on entry to the UK so far.

ive had some very, very odd VAT receipts with some very very odd maths.

i have a EORI number and my company is now basically only doing the hobby stuff, so if there are some items which are unobtanium, we can make an order big enough that it’s worthwhile,  and you don’t mind me charging n admin fee to cover the my admin costs.... then I can skirt the EU tax situation possibly.

Its all very complicated though.

Edited by Paul Busby

Fair point, Aliexpress seems to enforce things. HRB on Aliexpress flatout don't send to the UK anymore, even from the UK warehouse (odd) - with taxes being stated as the reason. 

image.png.24c8da495e7ae20116ba9cd0ca9c2f0a.png

Many thanks for all the replies. What a this brexit scenario is. I am sure the EU companies which do Ship to the UK will eventually catch up to the new regulations (Eurorc has a website with no VAT), as i am sure Uk is a big market for a lot of stuff. @m4inbrain The German shop i spoke too did speak English , but they hinted that i would pay VAT twice, which is obviously not happening.  I am now trying to communicate with the store Turok  suggested as they have a great price in one of the things i am looking for. But failing that i will just get one from a UK store, albeit maybe not immediately as the prices are a bit higher and i dont really need a mini z brushless right now... I just wanted to put some AAA batteries on one  and go broom broom really fast then forget it....   
Many thanks @Paul Busby i appreciate it, but as i said above the mini zs are available here but they are a bit on the high side. 195 for a brushless one, from rc mart they come to around ~160.  Can't buy any used (here) as folks seem to think mini z brushless goes up in price once they been touched by somebody.... No big deal i am not in a hurry and i will just wait and see. Eventually i will bite the bullet and instantly regret it. But who wouldn't want to see a mini z with a 8500 KV brushless or a 120 000 kv brushless motor go broom broom?  I dont even want to race it 🙂 

Edited by .AJ.
Swearing removed, do it again and you will earn a warning

8 hours ago, m4inbrain said:

Fair point, Aliexpress seems to enforce things. HRB on Aliexpress flatout don't send to the UK anymore, even from the UK warehouse (odd) - with taxes being stated as the reason. 

image.png.24c8da495e7ae20116ba9cd0ca9c2f0a.png

The typical  hello dear 🙂 .

1 hour ago, jimbulsara said:

@m4inbrain The German shop i spoke too did speak English , but they hinted that i would pay VAT twice, which is obviously not happening. 

Yeah, had that happen with a french shop as well - and i'm currently waiting on my WideMaxx kit from the netherlands, where i paid VAT too. We'll see if HMRC takes it hostage or if everything goes to plan - it comes with parcelforce, so if UK VAT hasn't been paid, it won't slip through. 

15 minutes ago, m4inbrain said:

Yeah, had that happen with a french shop as well - and i'm currently waiting on my WideMaxx kit from the netherlands, where i paid VAT too. We'll see if HMRC takes it hostage or if everything goes to plan - it comes with parcelforce, so if UK VAT hasn't been paid, it won't slip through. 

That's my fear. Although the price of the item i am looking at is considerably lower ~50 quids, if i have to pay VAT and Customs etc... it will be more than if i was to buy it here ~140 (from France) vs ~195 (from UK).  

2 hours ago, Shergar said:

Have had 3 orders from RCMart in 2021 and paid 20% vat at source, with no further customs or handling charges.

Tks. Have these been over 135 pds?

Yup one was! They add the shipping to your order, then the 20%  VAT on top of total parts AND shipping. which is cheeky, but if what you want is only available out east and the sums work out, man-maths tells you its a good deal. Shipping is fairly heavy I feel, but it might include the customs handling fees - who knows, its a game of chance, you might well get hit. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Shergar said:

Yup one was! They add the shipping to your order, then the 20%  VAT on top of total parts AND shipping. which is cheeky, but if what you want is only available out east and the sums work out, man-maths tells you its a good deal. Shipping is fairly heavy I feel, but it might include the customs handling fees - who knows, its a game of chance, you might well get hit. 

mmm, I like this. It comes out cheaper than getting the things here.  I am waiting on an email from a german source. But i might just have a go at rc Mart. 

• 1 month later...
On 18/04/2021 at 16:44, Shergar said:

Have had 3 orders from RCMart in 2021 and paid 20% vat at source, with no further customs or handling charges.

4th one the same 👍 Postal charge is still heavy, but if the parts are cheap/unusual it all works out.

7 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

Call me stupid, but I thought all the changes only effected Europe/Brexit not shipping/charges/duty from other parts of the world ie: China and the US for example..???

I think some companies had small warehouses in europe and could potentially ship from there?  But i think that this applied more to  Bangood than RC Mart. Regardless, perhaps there is a lot less sloppiness now at customs  with this sort of thing?  It was my first time ordering from RC mart so i was a bit sceptical. But it was alright in the end.  

8 hours ago, BashingBrian said:

Call me stupid, but I thought all the changes only effected Europe/Brexit not shipping/charges/duty from other parts of the world ie: China and the US for example..???

I dont get it either, I had to pay VAT at source at Jenny’s RC in the US?