• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Where do I go from here...

Ant.p

Hi all. Looking for some advice from experience please. My son and I have dipped our toes into the world of RC with a couple of FTX carnage’s. They’ve both had all sorts of upgrades but reached a point where I’ve pretty much ‘outgrown’ mine now so considering a little post lockdown retail therapy in the form of a new truck...

My requirements are:

off-road on all sorts of terrain

bashing.

Capable of landing from big air.

fast.

durable.

readily available parts.

Stocked in uk.

no real budget, as happy to save for right model.

currently using 3s/2s so good to make use of them, but not essential.

finally, and this is important; a way to justify this to the wife.

I haven’t really looked into this too much yet, as there are just so many options, but if I could narrow it down here a bit, then that would help a lot.

my youngest has started to show an interest, so she will have the (hopefully soon to be) spare carnage.

That’s it really. Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

1/10 or 1/8th or even bigger scale ?

No larger than 1/8. And probably leaning towards 1/8, but not ruling out 1/10.

theres quite a few options in 1/8scale 

Hobao the Hyper VSE is a good buggy my son and i have the 4s version and really like them but theres a 150A 6s version as well

Corally the Kronos and Shogun trucks they are fast on 4s and gonna be mental on 6s theres the also a buggy the Radix  plus other trucks cars

Of course theres Armma and other makes as well

1/8 scale are bigger and usually more robust as well 

if you see something you like look of just ask on here :good:

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Guns said:

Arrma Typhon 3s or 6s depending on budget maybe?

Traxxas Maxx?

There is no budget, would rather save if I haven’t enough pocket money than be disappointed 

Edited by Ant.p
  • Like 1

If the purpose is a big jumps all terrain monster truck then I'd go for the following in ascending price. 

Associated rival mt10 

Arrma granite/3s range 

Traxxas Hoss/rustler 4x4

Corally 6s range

Arrma 6s range 

Traxxas Maxx

Full build tekno mt410

Full build tekno et48 2.0 or other 1/8 truggy.

Traxxas Xmaxx

All of them will need some aftermarket parts but that's the nature of big bashing. 

• Thanks 1

If you’re going balls to the walls with zero chance of disappointment, then the MT410 kit is your best option... but be prepared to spend the best part of a grand when all said and done, as it doesn’t come with electronics, wheels, a shell... all adds up.

Id be tempted to look at a Typhon 3s or a Big Rock before taking that leap. That’s a step up from FTX without committing too much money, and the parts are all pretty affordable.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lorrylemming said:

If the purpose is a big jumps all terrain monster truck then I'd go for the following in ascending price. 

Associated rival mt10 

Arrma granite/3s range 

Traxxas Hoss/rustler 4x4

Corally 6s range

Arrma 6s range 

Traxxas Maxx

Full build tekno mt410

Full build tekno et48 2.0 or other 1/8 truggy.

Traxxas Xmaxx

All of them will need some aftermarket parts but that's the nature of big bashing. 

Generally reasonable list, but a few pointers.

The Rival MT10 is somewhat weak. It's a good entry level RC, but the suspension arms are widely known weak spots, so if you want to "send it" ("capable of big air"), better stock a dozen or so arms. 

Granite 3s v3/Big Rock v3 are great, hardly anything wrong with them. Work well out of the box. The 3s Typhon, while an absolutely amazing RC, i don't think fits the "requirements", especially the offroad on all terrains - it's limited in ground clearance.

Traxxas Hoss - garbage. It's a standard slash with big tyres for £200 extra. 

Corally 6s range, well.. I guess the new V2s are decent (though careful: the Python/Radix is thinner everywhere compared to the Typhon - shock towers, driveshafts etc, it's set up for handling, less so than bashing). I've severely bent my v1 Dementor within 10 minutes, so i'm admittedly biased here.

Arrma 6s range. I've got two (EXB/Typhon), both are okay, but creeping up in price now and the Spektrum Firma ESC (not the retail version - the version used in new Arrmas) is garbage. 

Traxxas Maxx, i absolutely love mine, but has a mandatory upgrade - it needs the WideMaxx kit. It's not fun constantly flipping it on the lid, it is very top heavy, and the shocks need re-filling straight after purchase (way too soft for jumping). All fixed with the WideMaxx kit (also stiffer rear springs in that kit) and new oil. Amazing RC apart from that, but overpriced.

Can't comment on the Tekno MT410, don't have one. Do know though that they're not as tanky as they're made out to be without spending quite some dosh. As in, ending up with an RC worth easily as much as a new DBXL-E 2.0. For a 1/10. 

No idea about the Tekno ET48 2.0 either. Apart from that it's the ugliest thing i've seen since ever (i know it's great underneath, but jeez that shell). 

Traxxas X-Maxx.. Probably flat out the best RC on the market for bashing in my opinion. Does need a new ESC though, mine lasted for maybe three hours and then went byebye, as sooner or later ALL VXL8s ESCs do. So add a Max6 to the purchase price (or get a used one with a Max6 already in). Not a beginners RC though, you can do some severe damage with an X-Maxx. 

Imho, the best choice out of this (good) list would be the Big Rock or Granite. I personally don't have either, but my neighbour has a Big Rock v3, and @Paul Busby has the Granite and he seemed to like it. You can continue using your current packs, parts are easily available and relatively cheap. Corally 6s range, Arrma 6s range, Maxx and X-Maxx (and most other 1/8th) would need new batteries - you can't mix used batteries, so everything over 3s requires new packs. 

Yeah, i'd go with a Big Rock/Granite. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Na the MT410 on 4s is plenty tank enough without mods. People just do the mods anyway and 6s kinda needs a few to contain the power. I really haven’t done that much to mine and it’s taken a right beating. 

Toughest  arms is the business, best shocks, good 7075 chassis, good diffs... you don’t need to do an m2c wallet buster edition.

• Like 1

My vote, based on your criteria, and the thoughts of various owners, both on here and amongst the YT community, is Granite or Big Rock.  But if you really want to throw big money at it just because you can (nothing wrong with that) then I'd go MT410 or X-Maxx.  Happy hunting!

• Like 1

I thought this would end up being a list of just about everything available on the market, as I know this boils down to peronal taste and not many would have had a chance to actually compare the options.

I was wrong though. Seems to me that there are a few favourites, and the Granite/big rock or X-maxx are among the most mentioned/favoured.

Really appreciate the feedback so far. I’ll have a good look on YT etc at reviews over the weekend on some of the above mentioned. This isn’t a done deal though, and am still very open to suggestions.

• Like 1

What is the difference between the big rock and granite? 

with Traxxas, can you use any batteries (as in brand) or are you restricted to their own products? If you can use both, is there an advantage to either?

Edited by Ant.p

38 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

with Traxxas, can you use any batteries (as in brand) or are you restricted to their own products? If you can use both, is there an advantage to either?

You can run any batteries with the Traxxas, youd just need to solder a new connector on to the ESC, which in theory voids the warranty 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

You'll need the right battery connector or an adapter but you can use any battery. Same goes for horizon group cars like the arrmas. 

Generally traxxas batteries are poorly thought of and overpriced so you'll get better value going with a different brand. 

Batteries need thinking about, as you go up in size of vehicle you'll need larger batteries and might want a better charger too. Remember to price this in. 

I forgot on my list above the Hobao Hyper Mt Plus II is also worth a look. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Guns said:

You can run any batteries with the Traxxas, youd just need to solder a new connector on to the ESC, which in theory voids the warranty 

Or run an adaptor, works as well. Did so with the Maxx for a while, and with the X-Maxx too.

TRX connectors are awful, and Traxxas packs are very overpriced, absolutely not worth the money. Technically there's an advantage due to the "EZ Charge" system, but it's very apple-esque, you're getting locked into their (expensive) eco system. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ant.p said:

In short:

Granite = Short 3S wheelbase / chassis, standard arms, wide wheels

Big Rock = Long 3S wheelbase / chassis, wide arms, narrow wheels

Pictures paint a thousand words etc...

left to right..

Green = Long wheel base 3S chassis / wide arms / Big rock wheels / Kraton Body

Middle blue = Short wheel base 3S chassis / standard arms / Granite wheels / Granite body

Right Blue = Long wheel base 3S chassis / wide arms / Granite wheels / Big Rock body

892559664_KratonGraniteBigRock.thumb.jpg.cb6cfb6e343093ff47832abecf75abe5.jpg

628727234_KratonGraniteBigRock2.thumb.jpg.dc151b400858a4bcb713f7eab1da3c4a.jpg

1692553263_KratonGraniteBigRock3.thumb.jpg.5a02fe9c3a47d49ab72839a32abffcb1.jpg

Edited by DAL3D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DAL3D said:

In short:

Granite = Short 3S wheelbase / chassis, standard arms, wide wheels

Big Rock = Long 3S wheelbase / chassis, wide arms, narrow wheels

Pictures paint a thousand words etc...

left to right..

Green = Long wheel base 3S chassis / wide arms / Big rock wheels / Kraton Body

Middle blue = Short wheel base 3S chassis / standard arms / Granite wheels / Granite body

Right Blue = Long wheel base 3S chassis / wide arms / Granite wheels / Big Rock body

892559664_KratonGraniteBigRock.thumb.jpg.cb6cfb6e343093ff47832abecf75abe5.jpg

628727234_KratonGraniteBigRock2.thumb.jpg.dc151b400858a4bcb713f7eab1da3c4a.jpg

1692553263_KratonGraniteBigRock3.thumb.jpg.5a02fe9c3a47d49ab72839a32abffcb1.jpg

Brilliant, thank you! I take it you’re in favour of the Arrma options? Nice line up 👍🏻

out of these, has you a preference if you had to pick one? Cheers

Edited by Ant.p

Well the Big Rock on the right is @Fourmiz29 truck not mine so I can't play with that one 😂

The Granite is more agile at the skate park etc and can flip / trick brilliantly. The longer wheelbase ones tend to be more stable at speed across wide open spaces. Got a Gyro in my green machine and it certainly helps it to stay stable at speed where as the Granite would twitch a few millimetres and cartwheel for miles! Just depends what you want to do with your car really.

Edited by DAL3D
  • Like 2

The decision there can be proxied - if you look at the Arrma 6s range, do you fancy a Kraton (Big Rock) or Outcast (Granite) more?

Same situation, one has long wheelbase, the other is basically square. One's more a proper "truggy", the other labelled "stunt truck". More agile, but also more twitchy.

• Like 1

Nobody’s mentioned the traxxas e-revo 2? This was a contender before I started the thread, but was waiting on people’s input before I mentioned anything.

have to admit, I’m liking the look of the granite, as jumps and tricks are appealing to me. will I end up spending out on upgrades though? Would I be better to bite the bullet and just jump in the deep end with the Maxx? 

Just now, Ant.p said:

Nobody’s mentioned the traxxas e-revo 2? This was a contender before I started the thread, but was waiting on people’s input before I mentioned anything.

have to admit, I’m liking the look of the granite, as jumps and tricks are appealing to me. will I end up spending out on upgrades though? Would I be better to bite the bullet and just jump in the deep end with the Maxx? 

E-Revos suck, imho. 

Never had one, but compared to other options from both Arrma and Corally, they're just not good enough for the price. For that kinda money you can get a Kraton plus some shiny M2C bits, and at that point the Kraton is just better big time. 

The Maxx requires(!), apart from the purchase, both the WideMaxx kit v2 (with the included extended driveshafts) - £55ish, and shock oil (around £10). Out of the box it will not do big air safely, it chassis slaps even from a foot height. I'm not trying to talk you out of the Maxx, i absolutely love mine, i just want to make sure that you understand that while the Maxx is great (better than the Granite imho), it's nowhere near almost £650 great (the new Solar Flare can be had for £585 at Appliance Electronics with Save5 code, plus widemaxx kit and oil). It's unique, nothing on the market quite drives like a X-Maxx or Maxx. If i had two RCs to take out of my collection to chose for a lonely island, it'd be Maxx and X-Maxx. But, as i said, it'd be around £650 altogether, and you can't reuse your current batteries - it requires a single 4s pack.

• Thanks 1

There also isnt a massively deep pool of upgrades available for the Granite, certainly not that I would recommend actually buying. Other than sticking some metal in the driveline, which would allow you to run 4S and a couple of bash-protection bits, perhaps upgrading to some stouter shocks... almost everything else will make it worse. (I would possibly even say 4S would make it worse, but Spektrum ESC's aren't amazing). A lot of the upgrades are expensive, and it's just not a truck that warrents lots of expensive parts. It's very plastic, and with that design comes durability through flexibility, which is a similar ethos to the Maxx.

If you want a platform to build a big shiny monster of a bash vehicle on with loads of M2C 7075 T6 alloy, then the Arrma 6s is what you're looking for, Tekno MT410 if you want the better and more expensive version of that same process.

I genuinely get pretty much the same thrill from 3S granite doing jumps as I do my 6S Kraton and MT410 though. They're different cars to tame, and I will have a hard time giving up any of them, but the actual level of enjoyment is very similar for bashing around.

I don't mention Traxxas because I don't own any. I don't want to buy a truck and immediately void the warranty by swapping the connector so I just don't own one. I do like the look of the Maxx, and maybe I'll pick up a slider/roller in the future if the price was right, but it's unlikely I would buy one new. Nothing wrong with Traxxas cars, as such, I mean quite often the parts are reasonably priced and the durability is, to avoid arguments, lets call it "comparable" to the other major brands, other than Tekno.

Edited by Paul Busby
  • Thanks 1

It voids warranty on Arrmas too. And on Hobaos. And any other company that doesn't explicitly mentions "it's okay to change connectors", because otherwise it's considered a rewiring and rewiring voids warranty. In fact MSUK issues a blanket warning for their ESC resolder service, that it can void manufacturers warranty. 

• Thanks 1