• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What's in your fleet...and why?

Garry

6 minutes ago, Garry said:

Hot Bodes Cyclone.

The *actual* touring car used by former world champion Atsushi Hara at the  2005 International Indoor Championships at the Stardust hotel  in Las Vegas. It was built by Hara specifically for that event using prototype parts still on the car today.  Its got the very Ride Honda Accord body painted by Brain Speed Graphix in Hara's famous black/pink/white colours which he used to win the Modified rubber tyre class but the body is the one he used to finish 3rd in the Modified foam class. Its even still got the foam tyre dust on the inside of the rims. After the event it sat in HPI USA's offices for over a decade, if you look on Google for the SpeedHunters tour you can clearly see the car on display. My plan is to install all the same electrics Hara used to win to make it a one of a kind ''real replica''. Some of the electrics he used are no longer available anywhere but I'm going to make dummy display parts. Absolutely priceless. I'll do a thread on it one day.

Now THAT's cool Garry! Being a bit of a modern-day HB Racing (formerly Hot Bodies) fanboy, this paragraph is loaded with nostalgia for me! Hara is an absolute legend and the reason I first got into TC's. Sadly that was a very short-lived journey as I just don't have the reaction times required - 1/8 off-road is much more suited to my "skills" :lol:

I'd be interested to hear how you came to own the Cyclone?

• Like 3

Sweet thread Garry, good idea!

My fleet currently consists of;

Hpi savage xl brushless;

I bought this cheap from ebay as a nitro "x" savage. Got scammed on it really, and decided to build it into a basher. Quickly snowballed into a fully aluminium show truck which gets used occasionally on large open grass areas. Really happy with it, going to 3d print a set of wheels ive been designing over the past year soon and want to get a custom airbrushed bodyshell for it so that i dont end up trashing it over large jumps like my mind is telling me to. I had a savage way back when i first got into rc with my dad, and having this one keeps that nostalgia alive for me so i guess thats a large part of why i have it. I know them like the back of my hand as well so that helps with maintenance.

Hpi Baja brushless conversion;

I bought this on a spur of the moment thing from ebay, it originally had a kingmotor 30.5 engine and a few upgrades but was largely stock. I ended up pumping wayy too much cash into it to make it a really nice petrol basher. Unfortunately the area that i live in doesnt really support a large, fast and loud rc buggy so i decided to convert it to brushless a couple of years ago when someone on here was selling a 1/5 combo cheap. Since doing that ive run it a good few times and it really hauls. Cant imagine anything id ever need to change about it, i do however need to cut the grafil body out still and get that painted as well as my savage body. I used part of an ancient speed passion conversion kit as well as many hand made components to convert it, and im particularly proud of that build. It took ages but now that its pretty much finished i look forward to enjoying it in the summer. I dont look forward to buying more 4s lipos though. I guess you could say i still own it because its huge, and seriously tough. I love thrashing it around the fields and really wouldnt mind throwing it over some large jumps but again, my local area doesnt support that; and im damned if im carrying the thing for more than 20 feet!

Hotbodies D812;

Ebay strikes again. I really need to remove my account. Bought as a cheap roller with the intention of a basher buggy but i cannot leave things alone and it came to me in a lot worse condition than i had initially thought. Ive made good all the issues, installed the d819rs driveshafts with modification as they are not a straight fit. Im using an OS21RZ motor from the 90s which i found on ebay brand new for dirt cheap. Its on its 5th tank of run in at the moment and will be getting tuned for power in the summer. Ill have to do a build thread on that at some point. Would like to try some grass roots racing with it at some point with the old man, mainly to see who the better driver is between us two. I think he has more track experience so we will see about that. Id like again a new body for it, and probably just to use the thing more. I own it because i started the hobby with hotbodies buggies so again nostalgia factor is huge there for me.

Team Losi 8ight 2.0 EU;

I bought it because it was £30 on ebay, And couldnt resist it. I did a custom bodyshell, fitted a mugen ninja jx21 engine and the thing absolutely rips. A huge downside of it is that the hardware is all imperial which is strange considering its an eu buggy. Got this before the d8, and now i have the d8 the losi will never be used so i think i need to move it on at some point. I own it because it was cheap and i wanted a buggy at the time, but have no current reason to own it.

Vaterra Ascender;

My only rc that ive ever bought brand new! I got it a few years ago because i wanted to try the scaling scene which i actually really enjoy. I have built it and rebuilt it so many times (theres a thread somewhere on here) but currently im very happy with it. It has had the most custom made parts on any of my trucks, mostly steel panelling to keep dirt out of the chassis and things like that. Its capable, and looks realistic as far as im concerned, i would like to use this more often for sure. I own it because im fascinated with 1:1 offroad vehicles so, this little one is an easy way of me living vicariously i guess. Its also a huge laugh any time i take it anywhere. As it isnt fast, it isnt stressful to operate so i use it mainly for calming sessions in the woods.

Traxxas nitro sport;

This was mine and my dads first ever rc car. It has a traxxas 2.5 engine which is really powerful for the size and weight of the thing so its a blast to drive. Weve owned it since 2004 so, shes got some miles on her. Its got a lot of vintage upgrade parts which add to its charm, but the last thing i did to it was try my hand at engine porting which to be honest really ruined its performance lol. Have to start somewhere. It needs a new piston/liner and then itll be good to go again. I own this because i have memories with it and my dad as a youngster which i cherish, and every time i use it i am reminded of how it felt to finally drive one of the rc cars id seen so many times and wanted so much. A world of difference to the toy grades i had and was used to. It probably helped to give me an interest in engineering/manufacturing too.

• Like 2

My fleet is only small as I had sold up but once lockdown started I took it back up.

X12 2020 - MB had these on offer last year and for the price I ordered it. I designed a new chassis and some "aero" bits for it. Plan is to run it as a speed car. It's got a 9000kv motor that will be run on a 2s lipo, I think 100mph is too much to ask for and it's just going to be a fast car. 

X1 2017 - I picked this up last week for £65 posted and it's in mint condition, I've always been a fan of F1. There's a few tracks that run them so might do the odd practice day. 

I've enjoyed the design and playing around aspect of them rather than the running side of things. 

• Like 1

Lovely read, especially the part about Hara's Cyclone! Thanks for sharing.

Losi XXX-S

Joined a TC racing club in 2002, racing on wood and carpet floors, running a heavily modified HPI Sprint. It went well and handled alright, but it was by far and away the worst TC at the club (they also raced Mardaves, so not the worst car, technically). At the time, the Losi XXX-S was the best car out there, so I got mine for Christmas of that year. I had never won a race, up to that point. The Losi lifted me up several rankings and I was regularly taking part in A & B Finals, rather than D & E. My proudest moment was in 2003, when I finished around 1 second (after a 5 minute race) behind British Champion and Losi Team Driver, Martin Wallace. It's currently sporting a Bitty Design Ascari body shell and still running the old Trinity Revenge of the Monster Pro 27t brushed motor and a no-limit Mtroniks M-Sonik 4 Dash ESC. It's had almost everything replaced with the graphite upgrade parts, as well as red anodised metal bits. My very favourite RC! I have earned multiple trophies with it and will never sell it.

Losi JRX-S Type R

I was hoping to get back into racing, maybe 8-ish years ago. After the success I'd had with the XXX-S, I really wanted another Losi and the JRX-S Type R was the last racing TC that Losi ever made. I'd heard that the latest-and-greatest wasn't necessarily needed, liked it used to be, as the development had plateaued off and a well driven older car could still be competitive. There was a club in Dundee, which was only about half an hour from where I was, at the time. They still raced TCs, indoor, on carpet. Unfortunately, I never got round to it and nowadays they only race GT12s, so I missed my opportunity. As it turns out, basically nowhere in Scotland runs indoor TC, anymore. Which is a real shame. I got the car almost brand new, having been used for only a couple of indoor practice sessions. It's immaculate! It's running a Tekin RS ESC, a Speed Passion MMM V3.0 13.5t sensored brushless motor and a Parma Type M body shell. I have never used it.

Tamiya TL-01

My first hobby grade RC was a TL-01 Alfa Romeo 155 V6 Ti Bosch. I sold it many, many years ago! However, browsing ebay a few years ago, I saw a brand new, unbuilt TL-01 Alfa Bosch for sale, in America. It had the body shell already done and the photos looked good. The price wasn't bad either, so I bought it, for nostalgia's sake. Unfortunately, the body shell was done extremely poorly. I've done my best to improve it, but it's a bit scabby up-close. I might eventually replace it. The car is still brand new, though! It's built with a bearing kit, adjustable links and oil-filled shocks. Running a Hobbywing 1060 and Tamiya GT Tuned brushed motor.

Tamiya TT-01 Type E

This was the car that got me back into RC, after around a decade away from the hobby. I actually only bought it, because it came with a beautiful Mercedes 190e 2.5-16 Evo II body shell! I'm a massive 190E fan. This thing has had so many upgrades thrown at it! It goes great and handles a treat. In 2011, I founded a small, local RC racing club, mostly among friends. We counted the laps by hand and recorded qualifying times with our phones, but it was great fun. I won the 2011 & 2012 Championships with the TT-01E, before swapping it out for my old XXX-S for 2013, 2014 and 2015, because the competition had gotten to the point that the Tamiya just wasn't enough, anymore! We last raced in 2015. We'd love to start up another club, but don't know when we can. My brother-in-law is desperate to go racing again, as he finished 2nd to me, all 5 years! The Tamiya is currently using an HB Subaru Impreza Type C body shell and running an old MRT VX Sport no-limit brushed ESC (with launch control!) and an Orion Revolution V2 12t brushed motor.

Yokomo MR-4 TC Custom

Back when I raced my XXX-S, my Dad and I wheeled and dealed in RCs. He had a pretty decent collection going, including this Yokomo, which had had much success in the racing scene. We had it fitted with a hot 17t motor and I used to bomb it around the street. Eventually, we sold it to a friend of mine who wanted to race it at the same club I raced my Losi. After we gave up racing, I never saw it for about a decade. In 2011, when we started up the little RC club, I bought it back off my friend, as well as his old Losi. Just so we had a few more cars available for people. The Yokomo was passed around and was eventually smashed up and in a bad way. I fully restored it, a few years ago. It's running a Leopard 17.5t sensored brushless system (will be changed to 13.5t) and sporting a Tamiya La Ferrari body shell.

FTX Outlaw

Looks great, is entertaining, but is as fragile as a wine glass and handles like a constipated donkey! This car breaks near-as-dammit every single time I drive it! It's had many upgrades, to try and strengthen it, but... it still tastes a little citrusy! Running a GoolRC 3500Kv system, 2s lipo.

Corally Triton

Got this to replace my wonderful old Pro-Line Pro-MT, after the Pro-MT was discontinued and replacement parts started to cost the earth. This has been an absolute TANK! Possibly even tougher than the Pro-MT, which is saying a lot!! Wasn't all roses, though: The wheelie bar didn't adjust enough for brushless power, so I'm running without. The servo saver was a complete joke, so I've fitted the Corally HD version. The shock pistons weren't formed properly, so I had to fix that and then service the shocks. Finally, the body shell is as thin as paper, so I had to shoe goo it. It's now a beast, though. Running Pro-Line Trenchers and a 4600Kv Castle brushless system, 2s. It's bonkers!

Tamiya Lunch Box

Do I really need to explain?? It's a Lunch Box! It's brilliant. And rubbish. It's had many upgrades, but they don't do anything! Love it! Running a classic Trinity P2K Pro 27t brushed motor and Etronix Probe WP ESC.

Actual Lunch Box

Many years ago, when I asked for a Lunch Box for Christmas, my Dad thought it would be OH SO FUNNY to mount an Lunch Box onto a Mardave Meteor chassis and have me open THAT for Christmas day! I've never been so confused. Still have it. It's probably more capable than the Tamiya...

Ansmann Mad Rat

I bought it, because my friend and I were offered a free ice-cream if I did! No joke! To be fair, I was already humming and hawing over it. It's a wonderful little buggy and is easily the most reliable and dependable RC I've ever owned. Fantastic little thing! It's been fully upgraded into the X2 spec and has a stronger gearbox. Running a GoolRC 2900Kv system, 2s.

Exotek Losi Mini 8ight T

AJ built it. Bought it from him, unused. Full Exotek conversion and about as many upgrades as a Mini 8ight can possibly have! It came with a 60A Hobbywing ESC, but needed a motor. I spent a fortune on a Castle Neu Motor 11101y, which is a hand-wound 4550Kv motor. It goes like a missile! I don't use it enough, but I really should!

Basher Pitbull

Best value RC of all time! No arguments! The Pitbull is no longer available, but in a nutshell; it's a Maverick Ion DT, with a green and black colour scheme, brushless system and a 2s lipo included... oh, and the retail price was £28.30!! Ridiculous!

Gmade Komodo Double Cab GS02

In recent years, I've gotten right into scale crawlers/trail trucks. I initially built my own, using a Maverick Scout as a basis, but last year I bit the bullet and bought this. I've set this up to be a rock/obstacle crawler, with massive front-bias and 121mm tyres. I absolutely adore this truck! It regularly leaves me aghast with how capable it is! It's running a Hobbywing 1080 ESC and a Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster Sport 12t 5-slot brushed motor, on 3s.

HPI Venture

Venture Scale Builder Kit. Bought it to be more of a trail truck and less climber-orientated (like my Komodo). So this is lower, more planted and more realistic. This is a great truck and it's criminal how poorly this has sold.  I love the way this thing sits and moves, especially with the classic Chevy C10 body shell (Axial). It's running a Hobbywing 1080 and a Yeah Racing Hackmoto 35t brushed motor, on 3s. I might replace the motor to a Holmes Hobbies, though; as the Hackmoto isn't that smooth off the mark.

Tamiya King Yellow

It's still incomplete. I'm about 75% through the build. I got this for Christmas... 2 years ago! My brother-in-law got the Konghead and we were supposed to build them together, but he's about as reliable as my Outlaw!

Tamiya TT-02 White Special

My only shelfer. It has no electronics. It's fitted with a white Lancia Delta Integrale shell and fake Brembo brakes.

Heng Long Military Truck

Fully converted into hobby grade and painted to look like a farm truck. It's still rubbish.

Also, my girlfriend owns a Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin and a brushless Team C Jekyll buggy.

This took me ages to type!! :lol:

Edited by PraetoR
  • Like 2

Cut down my fleet a fair amount now. 

Maverick quantum flux Mt. 

A cheap basher.  Fantastic little car. Small enough to pop in a back pack to take out.  Cheap enough to bash the hell out of it and fix it if necessary.  

I got it after my stroke to give me a car to use and mess around with.   Got it with the money I didn't spend while I was in Hospital.  Been brilliant fun. Can definitely recommend one. 

Axial smt10.  

when I was stuck at home after my stroke I was told to find stuff to help improve my right hand. So decided to get a kit to build.  And monster trucks are cool.  End of.  Can take it down to the garden. Get the little ramp out and have fun for half an hour.  

My hard body rock crawler project 

Building a scale Toyota 1984 pick up. As I was born in 84. Slow project but its getting there. Leaf sprints. Full interior.  Working lights.  

Set myself a challenge to get it as real as possible. It's coming along nicely but slow. 

30dn sdt 

I wanted something bigger again.  Not petrol. To much messing and no where to run one.  After a friend pointed it out.   Looking in to it. Bit of research I got one. Brilliant car.  Redid all oils and checked it over. Ordered a few sets of batteries for it. 

Lrp s10 project 

The car that got me back in to rc 4 years ago. 

Modded it loads.  Its changed style loads since I had it. Speed run car. Basher.  All sorts. It's sat in a box waiting for me to rebuild it. 

Not a brilliant car now. As the design is over 10 years old now and not that good.   But it's brilliant fun. 

Ftx comet rat rod. 

Again I wanted a project to work on.  But cheap. So my ftx comet ended being modded loads to become a rat rod. Suspension cut down to around 10mm.  Chassis cut to remove battery tray and replaced with an internal one.  Body from kamtec.    Its a banger body but works well as a rat rod as its got the right style for one.  It's a shelf queen. For now. It might get used in the summer. 

My shafty rock crawler project. 

I'm designing my own chassis for this.  Been on and off for a year now. But getting close to being finished now.   Lots of work involved developing the chassis for it.  It's almost right now. Few bits to adjust still. 

Full carbon fibre chassis. Simple and as small as possible.  Keep it light for a  better cog. 

A box of random small scale cars to look at at some point. Probably 5 cars in it. Again summer projects

I'm always looking for a new car to mess with. Lots of ideas for them.  But no money. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/04/2021 at 10:25, Hell horn. said:

Ftx comet rat rod. 

Again I wanted a project to work on.  But cheap. So my ftx comet ended being modded loads to become a rat rod. Suspension cut down to around 10mm.  Chassis cut to remove battery tray and replaced with an internal one.  Body from kamtec.    Its a banger body but works well as a rat rod as its got the right style for one.  It's a shelf queen. For now. It might get used in the summer. 

Do you have any pictures of this? Sounds cool. 

3 hours ago, lorrylemming said:

Do you have any pictures of this? Sounds cool. 

If you want more I can get some. But there you go. One crazy ftx comet project 

IMG_20210315_095645.jpg

IMG_20210315_095857_edit_184657879180155.jpg

IMG_20210315_095731.jpg

• Like 2

What's in my fleet.....hmmm...

Kyosho Madforce.

Converted to brushless, with a now unobtainable set of alloy axle housings and the axles swapped to HPI Savage items with proper sized hexes fitted. Servo mounted on the front axle to remove the crazy linkage and hte suspension arms braced and supported with extra rods make this a fairly tough basher. I like it for being a proper solid axle monster truck. I may convert it back to nitro ( I have all the parts still ). It's got a charm all it's own....and I don;t want to sell it even though my cars have seen virtually no use recently.

HPI Savage.

Beefed up chassis plates, bulletproof diffs, mid tank conversion, big chunky wheels and a .32 motor. It's a brute. it's as tough as I could make a Savage. It's part of the family, and if I did sell it...I would miss it. Plus I doubt folks would want to pay what I would ask for an old fashioned truck like this.

Truckzilla.

Why is it in my fleet? Well...becuase I think everyone should own a twin engined XL sized nitro Savage. That's why.  Gearbox is a flux single speed unit ( the two speeds kept breaking) LST shocks, WIDE tyres, and a Kyosho GigaCrusher air intake that sticks through the bonnet, and actually feeds the carbs. It's one of thoise trucks that I don;t want to sell because, well, where would I find another?

HPI Baja.

It's still there because I can;t be bothered to sell it. It's a good car thats been used and given me a lot of fun.

KM Baja

Shortened, widened, fited with monster truck wheels off an FG. FG jeep shell. 28cc 4-bolt motor. I still have it because....welll...why not!

HPI Firestorm

A nitro car converted to brushless. This gave me a mid motor, rather than one hanging out the back, and a metal chassis. Its a nice car to drive on 2S or 3S, and with the ESC tucked in sat in a 3d printed housing, it's neat and compact inside. Shell is a Sand Scorcher replica bug in blue and white.

Also in the collection are a brushless Stampede 2WD, a Savage XS, and a Hyper 7 brushless buggy, well, you can;t have too many toys.

• Haha 1

I am new but....

Hobby grade:

FTX Outlaw

First purchase, mid Jan 21, second lockdown, borred, thought I would give it a go. To be fair, this car is great for the money, when it doesnt break....

Hobao Hyper VS  6s 150amp ESC version

Becuase I took my Outlaw out, and the rear drive shaft snapped for about the 5th time, but this time dug into the gound and snapped the read diff housing and I said thats enough (I have subsequently fixed it and its running again now). But I took suggestions from this very forum, honestly its not the one I would have chosen but the thing is awesome no regrets now, built like a tank.

I also have several cheap/toy grade RC cars. I actually got into the hobby late last year, I have a 3 year old son and a neighbour was selling a toy car for £7. I bought it but the Nikko NiMH battery was knackered, so I hacked the plastic cover off a retro fitted it with new batteries. Then I dug out some old £40 cars that I had bought when my oldest (now 14) was younger, the batteries on those were completely knackered, but those ones were 7.2v NiMH, so I bought a couple of 18650 Lithium batteries, and battery modded it to run on lithium.

Next.....

I have spent about £800 since Jan so putting a freeze on any purchases for a while, if and when I get another one I really want a full off road buggy, like a Losi Lasernut or Rock Rey etc. I would have bought a Lasernut as it ticked all the boxed but after some reasearch I have found they are not very reliable, and I am struggling to find an alternative I would go for. Tanacity BD pro having the same transmission as the Lasernut, Rock Rey, cant find enough information to see how relable they are etc....

• Like 1

Had a few cars as a kid in the 80’s - Tamiya Sand Scorcher and Porsche 959, Kyosho Optima Mid Custom Special - well over 30 years ago.  Just got back into RC this February to stop myself going stark staring bonkers during the winter lockdown.  Now I have a few, so much has changed!

FTX Outlaw - the first new car I bought, brushless lipo edition, brushless and lipo are both big news to me as my old cars were all nicad!  Absolutely love the ultra 4 look and wanted something scale’ish for sensible money as I didn’t know if I’d really get into it.  Maybe I’ve not pushed it as hard as others, maybe I’m just lucky, but while I accept I’ve broken a few bits I really don’t find it as fragile as other Outlaw owners seem to find them.  I adore this car. 

Kyosho Tomahawk - all my cars as a kid were secondhand so I never got to build a kit, wanted something vintagey as my very first car when I was 10 was an original edition Sand Scorcher - however I didn’t want an actual Scorcher as my friend recently built one and with modern eyes they’re actually a bit rubbish.  The Tomahawk is an absolutely beautifully engineered model and with a modern ESC and running brushless lipo it’s an absolute hoot.  Building my first kit was a real pleasure and when they eventually come back into stock I’m going to fit a Scorcher shell to it to enjoy a retro “Scorcher” that isn’t rubbish. 

WPL D12 Kei truck - because sometimes it’s raining and indoor drift action is hilarious. 

Carisma SCA1E Deluxe Range Rover kit - as yet unbuilt, this is next winters project car.  I really struggle with SAD and need to line up hobbies to keep me occupied and out of mental health trouble, this will be a Camel Trophy tribute and I intend to take some time over it. 

Element RC Sendero HD - for ages I had a Carisma F150 on back order as I fancied a trail truck for the summer as we have awesome terrain to run one on around home, but I got emailed to say it was discontinued at least for the time being.  The Sendero HD was my second choice and I have to say it’s absolutely brilliant, probably more capable than the SCA1E would have been, a fantastic little truck that I’m enjoying getting to grips with. 

Really loving being back into the hobby. 

• Like 2